NAF Logo
leftstar May 05, 2024 - 01:17 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
New coach needed for Chaos All-Stars. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BevanOffline
Post subject: Necro  PostPosted: Oct 23, 2006 - 02:22 AM

Babs wrote:
However, the question remains - are Necro teams too powerful under the ruleset?

Hey. Don't change them now, I was going to take Necro because I thought they were grossly overpowered. Twisted Evil

I thought they were a fair team last year when Zombies were going to be 40k. I can't remember if that still applied by the time of the event.

So I seriously thought of taking them this time with 30k zombies and making a team that starts off totally over the top and doesn't need to worry if any of the four 120k players suffers an accident. Wink

If you want to set Zombies at 40k for CanCon07 I'd consider that fair. Whether the other necro and undead coaches will complain is another matter.

However, any rule change needs to be early enough for everyone to decide whether to change their whole team plan,
or even decide not to attend because -
(a) their favourite team is penalised, Crying or Very sad or
(b) a team they don't intend to play has a huge advantage. Evil or Very Mad

Reply with quote Back to top
BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 23, 2006 - 07:05 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Fair Call.

That's why I should set up a poll about it. So a decision can be made early. But I'm not sure about what the decision would look like...

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 05:31 AM

Just make a decision Babs. A poll really isn't the way to go IMO. No-one has come out kicking and screaming saying that Necro are way too powerful and they won't be coming under these rules.

If the rules aren't really set in concrete though, I'll put my hand up for ressurection style - it really does simplify things a great deal and drastically reduces the amount of supervision and paperwork required.

With normal progression, you run the risk of teams essentially being screwed by bad luck, potentially in their first game - not fun.

So in comes the reset rule to patch that problem up. However this rule still leaves plenty of teams vulnerable to being borked. So we get the MOAB reset rule. This then means that teams that can quickly produce superplayers - mainly Necro, Rats and Woodies will get an advantage, since those superstars can't be taken out.

All decisions will affect the balance in some way (including Resurrection). Pick one, and let people make their own decisions on how the consequences affect them.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 24, 2006 - 06:15 AM

Chunky wrote:
Just make a decision Babs. A poll really isn't the way to go IMO.
All decisions will affect the balance in some way (including Resurrection). Pick one, and let people make their own decisions on how the consequences affect them.

I agree that you need to make the decision. Trying to poll everyone will not allow you to cover all the possible choices and you would need to allow an extra week or two for replies, then probably further discussion.

The current rules are OK, although I did notice comments on TBB about the need to tone down necros, so a minor tweak can be justified.

It may be reasonable to keep CanCon as the major league style event and Eucalyptus as the major reset style, but the Australian Championship does need to avoid too much influence of random income and skill (stat) rolls, so there is a case for switching to reset.

Chunk'ys comments about not being able to permantly kill ST4 wardancers or whatever, are valid. However, a team that resets does lose some ground in new SPPs and cash, so they don't keep up with teams that accept an injury and keep the rest of the team improving.

I used to prefer league style but now I'm happy either way. I do think the usual reset style lacks reasonable player development, if it limits skills, and teams only get one per round. So if you switch to reset, allow a decent range of skills and doubles and let teams get them early (e.g. as at Eucalyptus).

You'll notice I'm not voting either way here, just saying that I'll accept your expert judgement after you consider all the issues. Very Happy

ElanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2006 - 07:05 AM

Australia
Bunch of pussies - you all play elfball!

Where's that old "live or die" (or stay dead) by the sword thing? Blood Bowl is about pushing a team through a good hard slog with a lil help from some expensive friends (ask me about Thrud being hired sometime) ... you northern schmucks are perverting the game!

If you end up with an unplayable team, sack 'em all and hire in a new bunch of rookies ... none of this imaginary rolling back the clock!

ElanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 30, 2006 - 07:07 AM

Australia
Ah, I love to be the voice of reason ...

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 02, 2006 - 11:01 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Nothing wrong with a bit of fun every now and then - but does it imply a serious undertone and you do sort of think that?

Washed up old has been.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2006 - 03:01 AM

Course he does, he plays nothing but Dwarfs...

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 03, 2006 - 06:20 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Chunkster,

You have to realise that the rules _ARE_ locked in. However, minor tweaks such as the commish having to approve all Resets is a wise idea.

And I really don't want to be The Evil Dictator (Tm) I think Kim Jong Il holds that title anyway. If everyone thinks it sucks - then I won't run that way. Case in point is the fact that CanCon is LRB4. I was going to run it LRB 5 until lots of people voiced their disquiet over it. So you can't have it both way Chunks. You have to shut up and put up with decisions you don't like, or have the ability for people to sway the ruleset.

Personally, I'm happy for their to be some middle ground there. But to have that middle ground - there needs to be time for discussion. However, I am certainly not planning to have any major changes in December. (and as if the price of Zombies is a major change anyway.. grumble grumble grumble...)

Lol!

So chill. The ruleset is up and is not going to change. If you really want to go and beardy your way to glory - go right ahead - but that's not the real intent of CanCon. It's about seeing who is the best coach on the day. That is more about fortune on the rolls and good coaching skill. Less about Beardy team rosters if I have anything to do with it.

Washed up old has been.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 05, 2006 - 03:00 PM

That was actually a poke at Elan Babs.

If you'd run LRB5 I'd have been perfectly happy, I just wouldn't have been there.

Commish having to approve is indeed a minor change - changing the way the reset works isn't IMO. If thats locked in (and it doesn't bother me too much which way it goes as long as there is a reset option), then I'm a happy chappy.

I don't even know what team I'm going to bring yet.

danOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 03:55 AM

yeah, lock it in eddy....

OZjestingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 07, 2006 - 07:09 AM

Should have been 5.0. That's how I voted the first time...and how I vote now. So make up whatever weird and untested ways you desire. If you want to ban a team because you don't like the coaches beard you go right ahead. I am going to roll dice and eat chinese food all weekend...while waiting for Aus to catch up to the world yet again.

And I haven't decided on a team yet either Wink

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2006 - 07:49 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Well looks like I'll manage to make this one at least Very Happy

I don't care what the rule set is...

ElanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 16, 2006 - 03:34 AM

Australia
All,

(except Chunky, who I don't love any more) I agree with the "make a decision" version of this debate.

Whether it is resurrection, league or a mix, as long as it is clearly explained, someone will always try to rules lawyer and select an uber team (read Dorfs, you pussies) and someone else will (after playing 5 lousy games) complain that the poor tourney rules gave the other coaches advantages ... (read Dorfs, you pussies)

Frankly, if someone manages to find a loophole large enough to be unbeatable, you should take the Commissioner and the Coach outside for a lynching. Regardless of the fun with ropes, right or wrong, the Commissioner must decide and you choose to play or not.

Of course, there is nothing stopping you abusing him for buggering it up later - it's one of your rights as a coach and more than somewhat traditional!

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic