NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 18, 2024 - 11:35 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Knee! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject: Consideration for a Thursday start to 2007 WC (4th Day)  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 07:18 PM

Undisclosed
Because of the interest in all manner of events, side tournaments, painting and possible mixes of competitions, I would like to gauge the interest in having the World Cup actually begin on Thursday, October 18th.

This would mean however an extra hotel day for most out of towners and we are quite sensitive to the costs to individual coaches. We are currently negotiating with several hotels near to GW-UK and are trying to get the per night cost per coach to under 30 GBP. There are certainly cheaper places available but none particularly nearby and none of any size.

We could of course abandon each coach and team to their own resources; however there will be a central gathering point at one hotel which will serve as HQ for the entire event....

Thoughts, please.

OMM

Last edited by Old_Man_Monkey on Jul 17, 2007 - 05:01 AM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
BevanOffline
Post subject: 4 days  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2006 - 09:47 PM

The Australian team (if there is one) will probably stay in England (or Europe) for at least a week, more likely two to four weeks. An extra day in Nottingham rather than somewhere else is OK if there are interesting things to do. Very Happy Our wives and girlfriends may prefer to visit more different places rather than being stuck in the same dull town for 4 days straight. Rolling Eyes

However, we are obviously a special case and since I can't promise we'll turn up at all you can ignore us for this stage of the planning. Confused

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2006 - 05:03 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
don't plan any 'important' stuff on that day, let the real competition begin on friday. Five days away from the missus is not going to work well Wink

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 26, 2006 - 01:22 AM

Undisclosed
I agree with Dave. Make a 4th day an "optional" one. By all means have side tourneys, speed painting, seminars etc in it, but don't make it complusory.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2006 - 12:58 AM

Dave wrote:
don't plan any 'important' stuff on that day, let the real competition begin on friday. Five days away from the missus is not going to work well Wink

Yep, costs in $ is one thing but days off are even more valuable.

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 27, 2006 - 06:06 PM

That's fine to say for you Euros who don't have to travel far, those of us coming over from NA will have to book at least a week off anyway so the extra day would be fine, I see nothing wrong with making the extra day compulsory, having it as just an optional day would appeal less to me as I'm taking at least a week off to come over there I want more BB bang for my bucks.

PodfreyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2006 - 06:05 AM

England
Torg,

I think it's more a question of practicalities for the majority. If USA/Canadia/Oz were bringing over a large number of players then there would be a strong argument for making the 4th day compulsory. But as it stands there may be a USA team, so the organisers will have to hope that a large proportion of players enter from Europe. Adding a 4th day as compulsory may turn away those few that have expressed interest.

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2006 - 05:40 PM

Hey, just expressing my opionion.
You might look at it the other way around too, making it more worth while for NA players to attend may boost the attendance from Canada and the US. the ideas is to make this a WORLD cup, not just another Eurobowl.
Anyway, I thought there was a Team Canada being organised (mostly by those down east, Toronto, Montreal).

lawquoterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2006 - 06:13 PM

United States of America

Optional is not a bad idea, really. Some of us who might travel over there may have a week or 10 days, and an extra day to site see ain't a bad idea. If I go, I'm going for the Cup, but I'm also going for other touristy things. I mean, one can only get into so many pubs in a day. Wink

#1 U.S. Vampire Coach (of 2 )

*note: loss only on the Street while playing halflings.

PodfreyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2006 - 03:58 AM

England
      Torg wrote:
Hey, just expressing my opionion.

True, and I hope I didn't upset you by disagreeing with it Wink

Torg wrote:
You might look at it the other way around too, making it more worth while for NA players to attend may boost the attendance from Canada and the US.

True, though I believe that of the two sides if they made it compulsory rather than optional it is likely to put off more European players than it attracts RotW players.

stick_with_poo_on_the_endOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2006 - 08:56 AM

the original post about wifes etc not being too happy. Nottingham is slap bang in the middle england, On the train you can be in London in 1 1/4 hours and Manchester in less than 1 1/2. Leicester Deby Birmingham are all within 30 mins distance.

Surely enough shoe shops to make them happy! Very Happy

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2006 - 09:47 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Lucifer wrote:
True, though I believe that of the two sides if they made it compulsory rather than optional it is likely to put off more European players than it attracts RotW players.
That statement I fully agree with.

Galak

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2006 - 11:47 AM

England
      stick_with_poo_on_the_end wrote:
the original post about wifes etc not being too happy. Nottingham is slap bang in the middle england, On the train you can be in London in 1 1/4 hours and Manchester in less than 1 1/2. Leicester Deby Birmingham are all within 30 mins distance.

Surely enough shoe shops to make them happy! Very Happy
30 minutes to Birmingham? What speeds do you travel at? I've seen it done pretty fast (up to ~20mph over the legal limit all the way fast) but it's never been close to 30 minutes. All I can say is that 30 minutes is not by car or train. Private Helicopter perhaps?

HangusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 06, 2006 - 12:21 PM

Undisclosed

Hans you must not have been in the stickmobile.

Maybe a list of shoe shops could be provided with the ticket. Just wave it infront of her so she follows you onto the plane.

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 08, 2007 - 06:06 PM
Former President

England
We'll certainly look into the possibility of providing some transport for organised sightseeing or something for the WAGs during the daytimes. There really is quite a lot of stuff of interest in and around Nottingham:
http://www.nottinghamshiretourism.co.uk/

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic