NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 11:51 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You will re-roll a one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BenArdOffline
Post subject: Skaven  PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 02:08 AM

I have a tournament game with my Skaven against a wood elf team tonight and was wondering if anyone has any tactics for playing against them.

I’m not too concerned about the treeman, I have a couple of linerats that I can sacrifice to try and knock him down but I’m not sure on how to isolate the wardancers.

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 02:12 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
hunt them down.
(I play Welfs so)
You should be faster than he is, use that. Also try to make sure he can't dodge away too easily. Also try to get some guard players in your cage. Wardancers leaping into that are waaay more vulnerable against 2 die blocks you choose than one die blocks.
Keep a spread defence in the beginning of any drive. Welfs are on their best if they can penetrate during their first turn after their Kick Off and make life rubbish for you (pass block, TZ's etc.)

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 11:09 AM

Unless your opponent has a team a lot more experienced than yours, because of the much lower cost of your players, you should be able to have a lot more reserves than him. Therefore, don't be afraid of hitting him to put him down to 3-4 players less than you.
If your opponent is good, this tactic may not be of much use on its own though. In that case, force him to make as many dodges and other kinds of rolls as possible. That means forcing his linemen to dodge all the time, his WDs and catchers to make 3+ rolls if they want to move anywhere, or even enticing him to block you at 1db. That should not be a problem for you because you should have more players than him and can replace your guys easily.
Obviously, if you see a WD down, foul him, that's by far worth taking the risk.
Finally, never underestimate your opponent's speed and the manoeuverability of all his players. You're fast, but he is even more in my opinion with his better dodging ability.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2003 - 11:26 AM

My tactics in the game would depend a lot on the rosters. You're going to play a completely different game if you've got a Rat Ogre, for example. Could you give us a link or post a general summation of the rosters, FF, TR's and number of rerolls?

-Oscar Wilde

BenArdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2003 - 02:37 AM

Well it turned out to be a cracker. To start things off his treeman was too busy sleeping to bother showing up for the first half. He won the toss and kicked off. First turn and the Rat Ogre puts one of his catchers in the SI bin and by my turn 3 I was 1-0 up. He then turned on the offence and made it 1-1 by his turn 4. Another couple of turns and it was 2-1 to me, then in his turn 7 it became 2-2. He rolled a quick snap for my turn 8 and I duely put it away for 3-2, I then rolled a quick snap and as he attempted to convert it for the score his catcher dropped the pass by rolling two 1’s, so 3-2 at half time. Second half and by his turn 2 he had levelled it at 3-3. I then returned the favour and by my turn 3 it was 4-3. On the kick off I rolled a blitz and put pressure around the ball, he surrounded it and was trying to put players downfield for the inevitable pass but rolled a double skull on a block and had already used a re-roll, allowing a linerat to swoop in and claim the ball, next turn with the aid of some creative blocking and path clearing the linerat made it 5-3 and there was still 3 turns left. The welfs pulled one back in their turn 7 to make if 5-4 but I still had two turns to go and, even though he put the ball right in the corner of my endzone I managed to pull off a long bomb in my last turn and in one turn moved the ball the entire length of the field to finish with a score of 6-4.

Now you may think that the defence was a bit poor but in fact there were only two or three defensive errors in the entire game. The fact that one of my gutter runners has very long legs and AG5 and he has a wardancer with AG5 (pain in the butt with leap) meant that the defences had little chance of containing the attacking players. I’m just glad I managed to get the defensive score and put a bit of daylight between us.

And I managed to get a new skill for the Rat Ogre, rolled a double and have given him leader so he’s got a re-roll as well now.

The TR’s were fairly even, mine 196, his 227, his team did have considerably more skills than mine and we each had 3 re-rolls, ff was 13-11 in his favour. I’m not too disappointed with the outcome, 17 points in the first tournament game so I can’t complain.

He had the general tactic of leaving only a few of his players in base to base contact but I made sure I put a lot of pressure on his players and pretty much had all his guys marked by the end of each of my turns. I also came up with the tactic of putting a couple of back markers behind another player in a triangle formation so that if (and when) his wardancers leapt over 1 gut they would still have to make two or three dodges to get clear. He did fail quite a large number of dodge rolls and at some fairly critical times as well which was nice whereas I didn’t fail a single dodge in the entire match in the entire match. And those rolls I did fail I either had a skill re-roll or it was a crazy roll. I did manage to take down his treeman with a linerat by rolling two splats and a splat skull Very Happy . I didn’t mind sacrificing a linerat to get the treeman on the floor.

JJBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2003 - 03:54 AM

Good job!

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2003 - 04:21 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
Good Victory!

Why would he opt to kick first. From the report I make that he has a one turner or at least a catcher with sprint.

I'd allways recieve first. Gives the advantage of taking the lead AND the last turn of the match!

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 02, 2003 - 08:29 AM

BenArd wrote:
I managed to pull off a long bomb in my last turn and in one turn moved the ball the entire length of the field to finish with a score of 6-4.

6-4. Wow.

-Chet

jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 06, 2003 - 06:25 AM

The best game against the Wood elves is to use the Rat Ogre as a safty to kill them catchers. Then I would try to score above all else. Skaven do best at scoring, not beating up other teams.

Don't put that Rat Ogre on the line or any were near it. Put him back about 7 squares. His main target is only catchers.

If you don't have a rat Ogre, just try to score score score score score, do nothing but try to score. All plays should be designed on how to protect the ball so you can score.

BenArdOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 06, 2003 - 06:43 AM

I don't know why he opted to kick first but i sure wasn't complaining. i just accepted the ball and ran past him a few times.
Other than that i was pleased with the way i played. normally i'm the sort of person who could win a yacht with the number of 1's i roll.

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 06, 2003 - 12:05 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
Laughing

check my sig, it's true you know..

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic