NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 05:50 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You will re-roll a one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jon93yOffline
Post subject: One turn scorers VS threat of One turn score  PostPosted: Mar 23, 2007 - 10:52 PM

I just skilled up my skaven gutter runner for the second time (1st was +1 MA), and I chose to give him sprint, even though he rolled doubles for the skill. I think that the mere threat of a one turn score forces you opponent to defend differently, and in some ways plays right into your hands. For one thing, the one turner has a huge target on his back, causing oppos to use their blitz on him more often than not, even if it means going for it or dodging...and second, until that gutter runner is off the pitch, he ignores my real threats...the other three blodging GRs that score all the TDs. Most coaches also set up the "picket line" defense to avoid the one turn score, and after the first turn of that, the D is usually willy nilly, allowing my to capitalize and poke an easy hole for a TD. What does everyone think? Did I give up a doubles roll foolishly?

Reply with quote Back to top
CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 06:02 AM

Canada
I did that once (LRB4 VLL and Sprint). I used the player as my ball retriever for the most part. But it did force my opponent to plan for the OTS, which meant often times a weak defence. Do the OTS once in a while to remind people that you can do it.

But the threat of the OTS was worth it.

VangornOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 06:06 AM

There are many cool and useful skills which a gutter runner can obtain only on a double.
One turn scorers are indeed nasty, but I would have preferred a mutation instead.

Jon93yOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 09:00 AM

Vangorn wrote:
There are many cool and useful skills which a gutter runner can obtain only on a double.
One turn scorers are indeed nasty, but I would have preferred a mutation instead.

While I agree that many of the mutation are cool, here was my thinking: Getting that movement increase put him on the One-Turn path (Sprint, Sure Feet, Block), and anything else I gave him would be taking him off of that path, no matter how cool now. A player only has so many skill upgrades to realistically expect to reach (even a gutter runner Smile), and with blodge, sprint, sure feet, and 10 MA, we're already talking 51 SPP ! Shocked And yes, I give EVERY one of my runners block...they're quick, but frail.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 09:36 AM

Canada
      Vangorn wrote:

I TOTALLY would have gone for Break Tackle!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 24, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Canada
      Spazzfist wrote:
      Vangorn wrote:

I TOTALLY would have gone for Break Tackle!

Hmm, say that again Spazz?

Once a GR gets the +MA, if you want an OTS, then you have to forgo the following doubles. +MA is rare, and must be taken advantage of.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 25, 2007 - 11:40 AM

i see ots as a spp and tr/tv sink, i like to keep my team fairly streamlined and don't like the wasteage that they produce

especially as you can one turn with them anyway with some chain pushes

Jon

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 02:21 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Grumbledook wrote:
i see ots as a spp and tr/tv sink, i like to keep my team fairly streamlined and don't like the wasteage that they produce

Yep - with only one push needed onto the oppo half it shouldn't be too difficult either.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 26, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Canada
      Doubleskulls wrote:
      Grumbledook wrote:

Yep - with only one push needed onto the oppo half it shouldn't be too difficult either.

True, with MA 10, only one push is needed. Never used the push play, but I can see how it can be better to have MA 10 and use the push play for OTSing, and use the doubles skill roll for something more useful than sprint.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic