NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 05:21 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The High Elf team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SugarwookieOffline
Post subject: Ideas on how to get a Southern based tournament going?  PostPosted: Jan 27, 2008 - 08:09 AM

United States of America
Hey Guys,

I'm in Greenville SC, between Charlotte and Atlanta pretty much. We have an amazing turn out every time we throw a BB tournament, or run a league. It's the one game that brings people away from other GW games, Hero Clix, CCG's etc.

On average, we have around 20 people in our leagues, and anywhere from 12-20 at our tourneys. For a city of our size (Not too big!!) I think it's an awesome thing.

I would love to have a tournament somewhere in our area, that would bring coaches from around the area as well as you folks in further parts of the nation to come and enjoy some of what the South has to offer.

We have some great conventions in the area, namely Dragon Con (Dragoncon.org) that is the Mardi-Gra of gaming, and other genres related. It is in it's 21st year, and regularly touts attendance at around 25, 000 people. This would be the perfect place for a tourney of a larger size, offering the BB tournament as well as the hundreds of other things to get into. My question is what is needed to get people to give it a try? Is it prize support, or getting the word out? What would it take to make someone travel 500 miles to make it to a good event?

We've had a BB tourney every year for as long as I can remember done by a wonderful group of lads from Florida (Love the Skeleton Crew!!!) but it seems that every year we have less and less people, which is disheartening.

I've ran a league for six years here in Greenville, so I know the ropes, but would literally love to have something bigger come our way. Anyone with any suggestions? I would love to hear your ideas?

Thanks,

wOOkie Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 27, 2008 - 08:11 PM

Undisclosed
wOOkie-
I am new to the scene down here and will definately try to make this myself. To be honest, I was thinking once I got on my feet under me down here (Charlotte) that I would organize a tourney as well.

Anyway, I was hoping to get some of the PA and DC crew down for it, so you may want to reach out to them. (The PA crew especially is known for their willingness to travel for a fun Blood Bowl tourney. Smile )

I would also reach out to Galak as well. Given that he runs Gen Bowl, I am sure he can give some tips on the benefits and disadvantages of running a Blood Bowl event at a larger venue. Sure having alot of other events happening helps draw some people to the Con...but people may not show up for Day 2 if there are other things that draw their interest. (Especially if they if they're not doing well on Day 1. Smile )

-RobO

P.S. Where do you play you're league games? How far is it from Charlotte?

NAF Member #5236
---

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2008 - 05:30 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
I was thinking about traveling to DragonCon one year, but was confused as to why it was always listed on the NAF site, but no matches were ever reported. I asked around about that and got no response. Its not that the rankings mean so much to me, but it sends off a bad message for people looking to spend a lot of money traveling to an event.

RamsesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2008 - 08:24 AM

Howdy!!

I just siged up but I am from Port Royal, SC (between Charleston and Savannah) and have been playing in a Savannah league for 3 years now. I am sure some of our players would love to play in a tournament and Greenville isnt too far.

SugarwookieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 30, 2008 - 12:36 PM

United States of America
For those of you asking about Dragon Con, all I can say to you is you have never and will never experience anything like it. Go check out my pix listed at
[url][/url]

If you like a little party mixed with your games, hot girls and all around non stop good times you will not regret it, LOL! I've been going for around 18 years and rarely miss one.

I know the Skelton Crew are NAF members, but I don't think it's we've ever gotten thing entered, maybe because the turn out was so poor? I'd be more than willing to go the extra mile to make sure it's reported from here on out as I think the S.Crew are giving it up after ten straight years.

For those of you in the area. Greenville is about an hour from Charlotte, maybe give or take thirty minutes. We're starting a league in a few weeks and just had a very successful preseason tourney this past weekend. The league is set up so that people who can't play a ton of games aren't punished, or left behind by those who have more time. There is a minimum of ten games you have to play. Your season results are based more on your W/L % We have a end of the season tourney and you are given tourney points depending on how you finish (Like top 10 ) those points are added to your season points and that's how we gather our overall winners. We usually have around 18-25 per season and there are a few guys in Charlotte at the moment. It'd be very easy to snag the ten games in the five week season and make the tourney, so if anyone is interested and in the area let me know? We would love to have more folks in the Border Cup Football League (www.thebcfl.com) It's a great group of people at Borderlands comics and games, a great store where people aren't wound up to tight and want to have a fun along with get good games in.

I feel like I'm rambling a bit, but feel free to drop me an e-mail if you're interested in our league and I will start working on something for Dragon Con 2008. I'm also going to try to make the GenCon bowl this year, so maybe I can meet some of you guys!!!

Peace,

wOOkie

PS: Thanks for the input guys!

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
FSUpadreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 04:48 AM

United States of America
Hey Sugarwookie! Yeah, one of the reasons that I decided to stop running the Dragoncup was that the turnout for the past few years has really been poor (the first couple of years - before the NAF rankings started up - were really decent. We even had a guy from Ireland fly over to play!) and 10 years seems to be long enough to not get to do other stuff. Feedback that I have gotten from other players over the years (not Sugarwookie's group, which between them - who are awesome to play - and our Skeleton Crew guys have been 99% of the players combined), has been that people are paying a lot for the con and miss out on an entire day to play. There is literally so much to do at Dragoncon and the badge cost so high that to pay that for a day or two BB tournament and not get to do anything during that time didn't seem to be cost efficient (again, just feedback from some of the players). This is one of the reasons that it got cut back to one day, in an attempt to get more players (and it worked for a time).

It has always been important to me to have a Blood Bowl presence at Dragoncon (and if you've never been - you HAVE to go - it's not like any other convention anywhere), especially as the gaming has seemingly become less and less of a focus over the years (last year's small room in the back for miniatures/clicks games was the low point for me as far as what was offered, space, etc). I'll be focusing my time on keeping 40K and other games going this year, so with Wookie running the BB tournament we might be able to get more miniatures going in 08 down there!

I know that "The Wook" and the guys from SC will put on a great tournament at Dragoncon this year, and I can promise that the guys from the Skeleton Crew will be there to play (I'll actually get to PLAY this year - woot!). I think that this handoff to new leadership may just be the fresh start needed to get the Dragoncon tournament back to what it was before. I know that *I'll* be there to help and play!

SugarwookieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 31, 2008 - 09:00 PM

United States of America
I agree with you Padre, when it comes to having so much to do the entire weekend, but I also think a great tourney can be ran in one day with three or four rounds. I'm going to get to work on figurig out how to get more people involved and if we have just 3-5 more people this year than we have been getting it's a start, eh?

The dungeon bowl tourney was a blast and I hate you missed it. We actually worked in some drinking rules and ended up getting about everyone lit, LOL!

FSUpadreOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2008 - 03:53 AM

United States of America
Have you ever considered instituting the "get blocked or scored on, take a drink?" That might allow you to run 5 rounds, as no one will be able to stand after the fourth anyway (and it would be a hoot to watch!).

SugarwookieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2008 - 06:54 PM

United States of America
Don't give me such ideas Padre, you'll wake up in the morning wondering where that cucumber was...........

Bwah-hah

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic