NAF Logo
leftstar May 16, 2024 - 08:24 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Chaos team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Two questions on rules.  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2008 - 01:15 AM

United States of America

Currently playing a Nurgle rotter team, and I have two questions regarding some rules.

Question 1
Does Foul Appearance apply also when an opposing player attempts a Blitz action, or only on a Block action. If only on a Block action, why not a Blitz? What's the rationale there?

Question 2
My treasurey has 120K gps. My roster has 9 players. I could purchase a pestigor for 80K and a Rotter for 40K, giving me 11 players buy no money. However, I would rather do...
purchase one pestigor at 80K, save the 40K, and use a Journeyman for the next game.

Can I do this, or must I always try to have a full roster whenever possible? Am I forced to buy that Rotter?

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Two questions on rules.  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2008 - 03:39 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Q1 Both

Q2 You do NOT have to buy anyone, so just buying the pestigor and a journeyman is fine.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Two questions on rules.  PostPosted: Mar 19, 2008 - 06:11 AM

Canada
What does the rest of your team compose of? Do you have the four warriors? If not, I would buy the warrior before the pestigor.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2008 - 02:53 PM

United States of America

Rest of the team:
1 Beast with Juggernaut + standard skills + 12spp
2 Warriors with Mighty Blow + standard skills + 14spp each
4 Pestigors, one with Tackle +13spp, one with Sure Hands + 15spp, one with Block & Mighty Blow, one new Pestigor.

3 Rotters with a few spps scattered around, 1 journeyman.

I thought about the 3rd Nurgle Warrior, but decided for the increased speed and agility of the Pestigor. Next purchase is a Nurgle Warrior.

tenwitOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2008 - 03:34 PM

Urk, that's a very non-standard setup. Hope it's working for you! You should consider these points:

- Juggernaut only works on Blitz Actions. Blitzing with a Really Stupid player is usually a bad idea, as if it fails the RS roll, you have no Blitz Actions left for the turn. Plus, you're wasting the Horns on all your Pestigors, as they also work only on Blitz Actions. Passive skills like Guard and Stand Firm are better on Beasts.

- Mighty Blow doesn't reduce the chance of turnover, or make your NWs any safer. Block is a better first skills.

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2008 - 12:20 AM

United States of America

So far, 2 wins, 3 ties, 2 losses.

First time I try the Rotters with LRB5, so Juggernaut felt like a way of offsetting the fact that Block is only available with doubles. In retrospect, you are quite right. I should have taken either Guard or Grab. Grab sounds interesting...Oh bugger, I'll remember that cock-up all the way till the end.

Regarding the Pestigors and the Warriors, I went for the idea that the best defence is an offence. I see Block as a defensive skill, whilst Mighty Blow is more of an offensive one. Our league is heavy on dark elves, high elves, humans, some lizardmens, some orcs and chaos... mainly AV8. My main strategy is to achieve numerical superiority as early as possible, and having 4 players (so far) with MB has worked so far. I've averaged 2 casualties per game, and quite a few knocked-outs. In fact, in all games I've had the numbers advantage. What got me in two of my games were the dodgy skinks and goblins, skirting through my players. All four MB players are 3-4 points away from their next skill (which will be Block). In as much as possible, Warriors and Beast usually block, Pestigors blitz. That way I try to maximize the number of ST4 hits with MB hitting with two dice...since I try to stay on the offensive most of the time, Block becomes less of an issue: I still haven't suffered an Attacker Down Turnover, and I have been able to use my three TRRs to reroll the few double skulls I have rolled. Again, this is the first time with Rotters...I'm on the learning curve!

Now I need some tacklers!

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2008 - 03:08 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Actually I don't think Mighty Blow is a bad choice as your progression is faster thanks to more cas. Of course with block you are probably blocking more often and have a higher knock down rate, but MB roughly doubles the number of casualties and I think block probably doesn't add quite as much.

I was seriously considering it as a first skill on Saurus for exactly that reason (and 7 MB on a team would be horrible to play against!).

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2008 - 06:12 AM

Canada
I can appreciate what you are saying about the numerical superiority, but you have to look at that from your end as well - with most of your players being AV8 and S3 you are more likely to be knocked out as well.

Not to mention the fact that one of the greatest things I have found with the Nurgle warriors is their ability to shut down the passing game. Even elves are reluctant to throw the ball when a warrior is within 3 squares due to the effect of the Disturbing Presence.

And for what it is worth, I would go with Guard before Grab any day. The Beast is not a model that you want to be using all the time, because when it goes stupid then it loses it's TZs, and more importantly, it's Tentacles. Get him onto a few opposing players, and then beat the snot out of them with the other members of your team, with your Beast lending help with the Guard skill.

Don't beat yourself up about the juggernaut too much - as you said this is your first time playing them!

LyracianOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2008 - 06:59 AM

England
With all there starting Mutations I think Nurgle are about the best starting Chaos team available. Having five players with Disturbing Presence really does shut down passing games.

I can see the idea of taking Mighty Blow as the first skill to speed up getting to the second skill, it does mean you are sligthly more likly to turnover with a Both Down result but the trade off (more opponents off the pitch) will hopefully be worth it.

mosalvaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2008 - 02:21 PM

United States of America

Wow, lots of great ideas for a new Nurgle Coach. I've normally been undead and dwarf, so this is a new one for me. With all the experience you guys have, can I get your advice on this?

1- Beast: Give the beast Guard. But the the beast fails the RS roll in my turn, then Guard is wasted on my opponent's turn and my adjacent players don't get the assist. Also, if I want to benefit from that Guard skill in my next turn it sort of forces me to activate and use the Beast as soon as possible, right? The beast remains stupid NOT until the beginning of my next trun, but until the beast is called into action again? So should I take Guard (and develop a dependancy on it), or give Grab / Break Tackle and make the beast more independant (personally I'd like to try Grab and see how it works, but has anybody used it?).

2- Is Disturbing Presence cumulative? If a thrower is within 3 squares of 3 Warriors and a Beast, does he get a massive -4 to his pass, catch or intercept?

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2008 - 02:57 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
1) You are right - but it means if you don't move the beast you don't risk losing your TZ and still give assists. Grab ONLY works when hitting. Guard is also very much necessary against other bash teams due to the "assist" war that will develop. Against an Orc team you'll need those assists!

2) Yes

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2008 - 09:08 AM

Canada
      mosalva wrote:

1- Beast: Give the beast Guard. But the the beast fails the RS roll in my turn, then Guard is wasted on my opponent's turn and my adjacent players don't get the assist. Also, if I want to benefit from that Guard skill in my next turn it sort of forces me to activate and use the Beast as soon as possible, right? The beast remains stupid NOT until the beginning of my next trun, but until the beast is called into action again? So should I take Guard (and develop a dependancy on it), or give Grab / Break Tackle and make the beast more independant (personally I'd like to try Grab and see how it works, but has anybody used it?).

As DS points out, the Grab and Break Tackle only work on the turn it is being used, whereas Guard is going to be useful in any turn when the Beast is not stupid (whether or not you activated him in that turn), so if any skills are going to develop a dependency, it would be the Grab and Break Tackle.

Furthermore, with the high Strength, and the Tentacles, you want to be getting that Beast into the opponents TZs, and you can be pretty sure that he is not going to often go in there willingly! It's all about calculated risks - use the Beast when you have to (namely to get him into the TZs where he needs to be) and then leave him there not risking the stupid rolls,and using the Guard to lend assists while employing his Tentacles

I would like Break Tackle as a second skill (provided doubles are not rolled) as there are times when your opponent will put a sacraficial lamb against your Beast in order for one of their catchers to try and get by you without having the Tentacles slapped on him. Sometimes you can blitz the guy off, but sometimes dodging is your only option!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2008 - 06:59 PM

United States of America
yea ask Mosalva how my stupid #$#*%^#*%^#*% goblin tied up his beast for 4 turns (WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!)

LyracianOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2008 - 06:19 AM

England
[quote="Doubleskulls"]Actually I don't think Mighty Blow is a bad choice as your progression is faster thanks to more cas. Of course with block you are probably blocking more often and have a higher knock down rate, but MB roughly doubles the number of casualties and I think block probably doesn't add quite as much. /quote]
I did the Math on this and was surpised at how much difference it does make! I am certainly going to try putting MBlow on to a few players as first skill and see how well it helps my teams.

If my Math is correct -
Casulty Normal MBlow
AV7 6.94% 14.35%
AV8 4.63% 10.03%
AV9 2.78% 6.48%

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic