NAF Logo
leftstar May 15, 2024 - 06:27 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zara thinks you're cute. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Hail Mary Pass  PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 10:07 AM

United States of America

This is probably one of those questions that have been answered a gazillion times, but here it goes again anyway.

A player throwing a Hail Mary Pass from his end zone to the opponent's endzone scatters three squares... and the causes a turnover for being an inaccurate pass, right? Therefore it's a tactic to be used by speed teams like elves or skaven that can scamper up the field like lightning, but has to be done at the end of your turn. You rely on opposing players not having enough MA to reach the ball. Am I correct?

If I have a player with Diving Catch, and he manages to catch the Hail Mary Pass ball, is it still a turnover or can the player move to (hopefully) score?

Mosalva

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Hail Mary Pass  PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 10:30 AM

Canada
You are correct in the tactic - your player with HM stays deep in your own end zone and draws the opposition to come and get him. Then, when the opponents are getting close, you throw the ball to the opposite end of the field where you have players waiting to pick it up on your next turn (assuming they do not catch it).

Again, I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I could have sworn it says right in the rules for Diving Catch that there is no turnover if they manage to catch the ball using this skill. But even if it is not written right in the rule, the ruling is that if the ball does not hit the ground (i.e. it is caught) then it is not a turnover and the player may move.

This is why I love the Hial Mary skill on halflings! Stay back and get all the other players Diving catch and use their stunty to get downfield! Your opponent will panic! Very Happy

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Eric.R.Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 11:24 AM

Vancouver, BC
Turn Over for Passing:

LRB5 pg. 13 wrote:
TURNOVERS
If a ball thrown by a player isn???t caught by a player from the
moving team, this causes a turnover and the moving team???s turn
ends. The turnover does not take place until the ball finally
comes to rest. This means that if the ball misses the target but is
still caught by a player from the moving team, then a turnover
does not take place.
The ball could even scatter or bounce out of
bounds, be thrown back into an empty square, and as long as it
was caught by a player from the moving team then the turnover
would be avoided!

The last part even make it more interesting as the ball could go out-of-bounds and still not cause a turn over.

mosalvaOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Hail Mary Pass  PostPosted: May 30, 2008 - 07:48 PM

United States of America

This is why I love the Hial Mary skill on halflings! Stay back and get all the other players Diving catch and use their stunty to get downfield! Your opponent will panic! Very Happy[/quote]

Frakkin' hell! That's awesome. Never even thought about that one... Any other interesting skill combos for halflings? I'd love to dust off my Pantry Raiders and use them in the next league, but I never get around to it. Of course, with that awesome tactic...

Mosalva

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Hail Mary Pass  PostPosted: May 31, 2008 - 11:17 AM

Canada
The only other advice that I can gtive is that Side Step is an awesome skill for 'flings - probably one of the best for them on a normal roll.

Unfortunately halflings took a hit with LRB 5 as they no longer have the same power with the chef. That to me was always key when I played halflings - make sure that I deny my opppnent their use of rerolls so that when they do screw up I am all over them! But word has it that tthis will be fixed somewhat with the LRB6

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Darkson
Post subject: Re: Hail Mary Pass  PostPosted: May 31, 2008 - 11:35 AM

Undisclosed
      mosalva wrote:
and the causes a turnover for being an inaccurate pass, right?

Wrong. A pass (and that includes a HMP) is only a turnover if the ball comes to rest NOT in the hands of one of your players. Being Inaccurate in itself does not cause a turnover.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic