NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 11:46 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where did that Slann guy go? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Would you use a draft to level sides slightly
yes, seems like a good idea
33%
 33%  [ 8 ]
No, it's overcomplicating things
66%
 66%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 24

voyagers_ukOffline
10 Post subject: Draft - House rule  PostPosted: Jan 05, 2007 - 02:48 AM

Well hallo there, How about a new thread for the New Year!

Did some thinking about something I would like to house rule in to aid the teams that finished at the bottom of the league and thought I would throw it out. I hope that I do not ramble on too much in this as I am still mulling it through. So with you fully warned that my thought processes may not be stable - off we go!

Ok so I am assuming a 10-20 team league here. (I believe that this could work with more or less but may need to be tweaked)

lets say 10 teams to start with, the season has been fun and the teams at the top have rightly won the big prize and stomped the rest mercilessly under their boots. Wahey!

Now the team at the bottom, for reasons of fragility or coaching frailty are now understrength and whilst I get that the inducements will help a bit to level the playing field it would not hurt to give the teams a shot at recruiting the hottest new prospects from the minor's and college teams

How I envision this working is similar to the NFL Draft.

10 teams finished as follows

1. Dark Elves
2. Orcs
3. Norse
4. Undead
5. Necro
6. Dwarves
7. Skaven
8. Lizardmen
9. Human
10. Wood Elf

lets assume each team would get to recruit at least 1-2 draftees because we don't want to build up or overly penalise the top teams lets say that there are 15 fresh players looking to find a team.

However, we do not want to name and racially profile them yet....

So the Draft order for picks would go

1. Wood Elf
2. Human
3. Lizardman
4. Skaven
5. Dwarves
6. Necro
7. Undead
8. Norse
9. Orcs
10. Dark Elves
11. Wood Elf
12. Human
13. Lizardman
14. Skaven
15. Dwarves

The 15 draftees could for example be rolled up randomly (for example)

2 - Throwers / Runner
3 - Blitzers / Blockers
5 - 0-16 position players
1 - Big Guys
2 - Catchers
2 - Special (Slayer, witch elf etc)

They could then be randomly awarded D3 advances that would reflect in the TV cost that would be applied to the roster of the team who secure him.

Now the teams would pick in draft order until all picks are taken, but there would be a chance for negotiation and pick trading. lets say that the obvious choice for No.1 Pick is a thrower who gained +1 St, +1AG and a double roll, but none of the top 3 teams need or can have him, (i.e. if the top 3 teams included lizards, chaos and Ogres) They could offer to trade their tope 3 pick for a later pick to a team lower down in exchange for a small cash fee. or if the team is fully rostered, they could exchange a pick in this draft for a pick in the next end of season bun-fight or just for cash if that was preferable.

the benefit to this system is it would give a lower teams some bargaining room and fresh legs to throw into the following season - a nucleus around which to start formulating strategies. Especially if they were hit hard and were close to retiring the team..... Inducements will work nicely alongside this and the non race specific nature of the draft will eliminate any need to reconsider Ally rules.

thoughts? amendments? suggestions to improve?

Reply with quote Back to top
CoffinDodgerOffline
Post subject: RE: Draft - House rule  PostPosted: Jan 09, 2007 - 02:28 PM

Scotland
If you want to balance things out again how and feel the need to give lower teams a boost, how about something along these lines:

Work out the average TV for the teams participating in the new league.
Those below the average simply get an extra amount of cash to spend on permanent hires for their team - maybe 1/3 or 1/2 of the difference between their TV and the average e.g if the average was 160TV, a starting team would get 200 or 300k to spend depending on the fraction used
If you want to be mean, you could do something similar to the higher TV teams and force them to move towards the average - representing some players retiring due to old age, less team spirit (loss of RR), again by an arbritrary fraction. With the same 160TV average, a 'winning team' on TV220 would need to drop / retire 200k or 300k of TV - might be a couple of RR and a player. maybe even just a single uber-player...

Overall the effect would be to bring teams closer together at the start of the league without changing the relative TV order or giving teams 'free' advanced players. So rather than having a TV spread from 100 to 220, it could become 130 to 190. Team with fewer players should be able to up their player numbers to cope with the higher TV teams.

Thoughts?

voyagers_ukOffline
5 Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 11, 2007 - 08:47 AM

Maybe I am explaining my reasoning wrongly, but I am not trying to hinder development of the top teams by dragging them back down. Spiralling expenses does that for me...

I am trying to give teams a chance to gain a little something that is positive and the lower you finished the more positive it is.

I don't believe in averages and would not want to have that as the goal of the league, some races are targeted to only reach a certain level of potential despite the coaching (good or bad). Rolling Eyes Also, if the teams ended the season spread by 1-1.2m in TV that is a result of the coaching as much as if it is closer.

The Cost of the players is not shown as deductable from the Treasury/Cash, but it is reflected in the TV, so they are not "FREE" Confused

Plus if you choose to trade your pick to another team, there is no hard and fast rule that says it is at face value - sellers market....

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2007 - 08:35 PM

Canada
We used a draft at our recent tounament in Ottawa.
We made improvements available to draft rather than players.
Its pretty cool.
Only the low end teams get to pick the stat increases whilst the teams near the top have to be a bit more creative in their skill choices.
Our rules can be found here:
http://www.coredge.com/urban/bloodbowl/The%20Capital%20City%20Kick%20Off%202007%20Rules.doc

Although its a different kettle of fish in a progression league.
It could work though, and it wouldn't make masses to the top teams but it could really help the teams with the lowest TV or league finish.

I do like the idea of the draft you suggest although it does seem like a lot of work.

Joe

WeeManBigginsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 01, 2008 - 02:45 AM

Undisclosed
In our league we had a small tournament for the rookies in our league to boost their ssp's up and gain more experance. To give them more of a chance and play more games too.

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2008 - 08:20 PM

Canada
Voted yes, although I must admit the skills draft is more appelling to me.

Fred

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic