NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 29, 2024 - 04:16 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Orc team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TomBOffline
Post subject: Painting bases  PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 - 02:30 PM

Undisclosed
Ive just re-painted 2 of my old teams from when i was a kid (plastic 3rd ed orcs and metal 3rd ed skaven) but i cant decide wat to do for the bases. Ive sanded (glued sand to) them before they were sprayed black and i have some static grass to go on, but cant decide on the colours in between.

I usually do for grass calthan brown, drybrushed with a daker brown, and then drybrushed with a dark green like dark angels green.

But i was thinking maybes do it all green, starting with orkhide shade and drybrushing getting lighter 2 more shades of green. This way it will blend into the game board better.

or

a rock one i worked well with lately was starting with adeptus battlegrey, then fortress grey then mix grey/white. Would look very astrogranity, and might still work on the proper game board with the static grass.

Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated.

also - my pro-elf and necromantic team arrived today and i am very excited about painting those!

Chrace Chargers

Reply with quote Back to top
BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 - 03:27 PM

I paint all my bases to look like astrogranite and with some weeds growing out of cracks.

But I paint all my pitches to look like proper astrogranite. None of this woosy grass, pththth Cool

Mo

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2009 - 06:46 PM

Anchorage, Alaska
My standard bases follow BB_Babe's theme: astrogranite with weeds. Here is how I do it:
1. Cover entire top surface of base with thin layer of white glue, using old paintbrush to smooth into place.
2. Dip-and-shake with fine-grade NATURAL shale.
3. Dip-and-blow IMMEDIATELY with Woodland Scenics static grass (mixed blend).
4. Shake and blow off excess, using airflow to help shape the static grass.
5. Rub excess off of sides of base for "perfection".

Thats the simplest method. Basically, no matter what you use for flocking you're still going to have some exposed wet glue that a second layer can stick to. You're going to have some cracks, etc. Something for static grass to stick to. So dip the second layer immediately after the first, while the glue is still wet, and you get "weeds and astrogranite".

How to vary this? Different flock, different static grass, thicker application of glue, and allowing some drying time before the static grass will ALL change the overall appearance. Goob the glue thicker, don't pause between steps, and it will be hard to see the "astrogranite" for the "weeds". Brush the glue on thin, maybe take a 30sec pause before the static grass, and you'll hardly have anything but "rocks". So experiment and fiddle a bit.

My Skaven, Desert Rats, vary from the above concept by being flocked with ordinary burnt-yellow flocking followed by burnt-grass static grass.

You could vary this by allowing static grass on only part of the base, or selectively putting static grass in small spots by using a straw.

Cool idea for static grass: stuff some in a straw, like from your chainburger joint, and use it as an applicator for the static grass. Hold the straw-with-grass maybe 1mm above where you want the clump to be, tap or blow on the other end and the grass is right where you want it. Makes easy clumps using the above flock-and-grass method.

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 - 04:38 AM

Undisclosed
Cool idea about using a straw as an applicator.

The way i usually do bases is to paint hick grain sand, i never actually use coloured flock. Generally i will wait until the paint on the base is dry, and then put the glue for the static grass only where i want it.

what colours are you painting the sides of your astrogranite bases? ive decided i pretty much have to make my own pitch so i can do bases to match!

Chrace Chargers

BB_BabeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 - 11:03 AM

I paint the sides in traditional base ring colours:
White = Thrower
Yellow = Catcher/Runner
Red = Blitzer
Green = Blocker
Gray = Liner
(Blue = Other)

Here's my Skaven Scorpions posted on TBB. Warning, the TBB server is sporadically zombie slow these days, if it's having trouble loading, just wait it out or try another time. (And ImageShack is beeing cranky on me right now, so I can't load the pictures directly here at the moment, grr.)
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17927

The Scorpions are an older team (painted back in 2e days) when I was just brush painting the tops of the plastic bases. These days I spray paint the base tops from a short distance with a few shades of gray and black to get a speckled astrogranite look. The texture of the base doesn't require any 'stone' flocking. Empty slot space, I fill with Testor's Contour Putty and hand paint to match. I carve in the cracks, paint them brown, add some zap-a-gap and weed flocking.

Here's a more recent Valholl Swanmaidens with spray-painted tops and genuine 2e baserings:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=17957

I use the same spray-paint technique to make my pitches:
http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=16823
And it's a perfect match Very Happy

Cheers,
Mo

Some Boston Blood Bowl Stuff
http://redwings-wilder.livejournal.com/

AK_DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2009 - 03:14 PM

Anchorage, Alaska
Colors:
I'm oldschool traditional like BB_Babe with my bases. Here are the exact colors I use on the rings:
Thrower = White = Vallejo Flat White
Catcher/Runner = Yellow = Vallejo Flat Yellow (often requires a basecoat of Citadel Foundation Tausept Ochre)
Star Catcher Runner = Yellow = Vallejo Flat Yellow highlighted with Vallejo Light Yellow
Blitzer = Citadel Foundation Mechrite Red
Star Blitzer = Citadel Foundation Mechrite Red highlighted with Citadel Blood Red
Blocker = Green = Vallejo Flat Green
Lineman = Gray = Citadel Foundation Adeptus Battlegrey
Nonstandard = Black = Chaos Black

Bases on Big Guys usually end up either gray (matching Linemen) or green (matching Blockers), and depends on the team. Teams where Blockers are available tend to get green base Big Guys (Orcs). Teams where Blockers are not available tend to get gray base Big Guys (Skaven). Star Big Guys break all my rules: Morg gets a green base, because thats just oldschool for Morg; Headsplitter gets a red base because, hey, he's Headsplitter. Chaos Big Guys get green bases because I base my Chaos Warriors with green, so Chaos Pact (for me) would have green base Big Guys but no actual Blockers.

Base texture:
I do the sculpted putty and painted sand on the bases of my historical minis. If I didn't have a source for natural slate shale that is naturally very dark, I would have to use painted sand to get the astrogranite look I want. In which case the flock-and-grass technique wouldn't work so well. But as I have an excellent source for natural slate shale in the proper grade, I use it as-is.

I haven't updated my photobucket account in a long long time, and probably need to switch to Flickr, but here is the link where you'll find pics of my minis:
http://photobucket.com/albums/v716/dprentice/

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2009 - 04:53 AM

Undisclosed
thanks for all the example pictures

i know photobucket is a pain, my last account which had loads of my 40k and LOTR stuff on from a few years ago, and more recent fantasy stuff, has disappeared, so ive had to start again!

Ive decided to go astrogranite, glueing coarse sand to the bases, before a black spray, then painting with charandon granite, first drybrush highlight adeptus battlegrey, second drybrush highlight codex grey. They look quite dark but once i get a few patches of static grass on there everything should work out nicely.

As far as colouring the sides for positional, im undecided yet. I might do a stripe of colour on the back and front,using my vallejo square brush (anyone who still buys GW brushes i think needs to try the vallejo ones) rather than the whole ring. I can then put the player number in this. I might actually still have some green and grey bases in a bits box somewhere from the 2nd ed boxed game. I had no idea about player positions then and just glued any to any. In my defence i was only 8.

I will try and get pics of my bases once they are finished.

Chrace Chargers

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic