NAF Logo
leftstar May 21, 2024 - 04:39 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Where did that Slann guy go? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
templar72Offline
Post subject: Failing to pick up the scattered ball  PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 08:36 AM

Memphis, TN

I am sure that this has been asked before but I could not find it.

Situation: One of my players blocks an opponent with the ball and forces him to drop the ball and it scatters onto one of my players.

Question: If my player fails to catch/pick-up the scattered ball does this force a turnover?

This came up in two seperate games in our local league 2 nights ago and resulted in a lot of rule reading and a lot of debate. The result was that one table agreed it did cause a turnover and the other that it did not. Both sets of players were happy with the results but we all left with the question of how to handle it going forward.

Thanks,

Ed

Reply with quote Back to top
ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 10:15 AM

Port Hope Ontario
Without the rulebook in front of me I'd say no. The ball wasn't in your possession to begin with and even though you failed to catch it it wasn't still classified as yours. The ball keeps going till its either caught or hits the field but then its still your turn.

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 10:42 AM

Canada
No, it is not a turnover. I don't have the rulebook with me right now, but if you look at the list of turnovers, I'm sure that it states this.

First-off, this is a catch, not a pick-up. So the turnover on pick-up does not apply.

For a failed catch, it is a turnover only if the moving team was in possession of the ball, the ball is dropped for any reason, and it is not caught by a player of the moving team.

Example 1: You have to ball and declare a hand-off action. You move next to another player in your team and hand-off. The player attempts to catch the ball, but fails. The ball bounces back to the player that did the hand-off and he catches the bouncing ball. This is NOT a turnover as the moving team is still in possession of the ball. If the ball would have bounced to an empty square, or was caught by a player from the opposing team, then it would have been a turnover as the moving team is no longer in possession of the ball.

Example 2: You have to ball and declare a pass action. You throw an inaccurate pass. The ball bounces on a player of your team (which may or may not have been the intended receiver) and the player attempts to catch the ball and succeeds. This is NOT a turnover. If the ball would have bounced to an empty square, or was caught by a player from the opposing team, then it would have been a turnover.

In your example, the moving team was not in possession of the ball in the first place, so failing to catch a bouncing ball does not cause a turnover.

Cramy

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 03:43 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
It is not a turnover. Failed catchers are never, in themselves, turnovers.

Losing possession of the ball from a throw or hand off is a turnover.

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 04:03 PM

Undisclosed
what if you attempt to pick up the ball, fail, it scatters onto another of your players and he catches it. The way the ruling in the rulebook read on our tableside version was that a failed attempt to pick up the ball causes an immediate turnover, but never mentioned the possibilities of catching scattered balls.

Chrace Chargers

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 04:28 PM

Undisclosed
A failed pick up is a turnover - where the ball ends up is illrelevent.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

CramyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 20, 2009 - 05:12 PM

Canada
Big, big different between catches and pick-ups.

Failed pick-up is always a turnover.

Failed catch is only a turnover if you had the ball at the start of the turn and end-up losing possession of the ball once it stops bouncing.

Cramy

jimmylOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 18, 2009 - 08:33 PM

the same situation has come up in our league at least twice before.
we have always played that it does cause a turnover, as unfair as that often seems.

now i see that it is similar to catching a kick off before play starts, in that a failed "catch" dosnt cause a turnover

StoutYoungbloodOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 19, 2009 - 12:14 PM

Undisclosed
From LRB 5 page 7:

1. A player on the moving team is Knocked Down (being injured by the crowd or being Placed Prone is not a turnover unless it is a player from the active team holding the ball ??? e.g. skills like Diving Tackle, Piling On and Wrestle count as being Placed Prone) or

2. A passed ball, or hand-off, is not caught by any member of the moving team before the ball comes to rest or

3. A player from the moving team attempts to pick up the ball and fails (note: failing a catch roll, as opposed to a pick up, is by itself never a turnover) or

4. A touchdown is scored or

5. The four-minute time limit for the turn runs out or

6. A pass attempt is fumbled even if a player from that team catches the fumbled ball or

7. A player with the ball is thrown or is attempted to be thrown using Throw Team-Mate and fails to land successfully (including being eaten or squirming free from an Always Hungry roll) or

8. A player is ejected by the referee for a foul.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic