NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 12:08 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Inside every Troll, ders a lil gobo trying da get out. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject: Fouling  PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 08:01 AM

How often do you foul? I seem to find fewer opponents who even consider fouling in an LRB environment. Am I alone in my dedication to the boot? I seem to be alone (more or less) in the MBBL. But my general plan still seems to work:

* Give Dirty Player to two liners.
* Foul once in the first half to grab the Eye, foul later if the opponent kicks you back OR a quality opponent hits the ground.
* Foul every turn in the second half if you'll break AV on a roll of 5+ until both your DPs are gone.

This still seems like a good tactic, because I can usually trade 3-4 opposing players for 2 of my own. But I notice a serious dearth of DPs in most LRB leagues, and I think the game is getting altogether too unbloody. Anyone else? Or have most of you abandoned fouling in the LRB environment?

-Chet

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 08:03 AM

United States of America
I play CD's so I foul a lot. I have a deep bench of Hobgoblins, and can usually bash my way to a player advantage. In our league, people try to foul clutch players all the time. In my match last night, there were about 6 fouls - there probably would have been more, but my opponent freebooted the deathroller and was busy playing with his new toy.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 08:09 AM

As a follow-up, here's how fouls work in the NFL:

1. The fouling player does not receive a +1 bonus for making the foul.
2. Assists are worked out for players not in TZs.
3. DP is +2 to AV (no bonus to injury), and a DP adds +2 rather than +1 for an assist.
4. There is no Eye. Consequently, the Ref Roll is always a 6.

Working backwards from the number of ejections we've had, we average 4-5 fouls per team per game. Oh, and we count these for SPPs. One team has five DPs, and - get this - no other coach feels this is a problem. The DPs are not the SPP leaders on his team despite his penchant for booting any opponent who hits the ground.

In our league, the odds of getting caught ALWAYS outweigh the odds of getting a casualty, so a good risk-reward ratio is preserved. (We ruled that a natural 2 always fails an AV roll and that a natural 12 always succeeds. Even without this small rule, the odds of getting a casualty would never eclipse the odds of getting caught.)

This works very well for us, and coaches foul or not as they see fit. No one HAS to foul, no one is penalized for trying to foul a lot. And it works great for us.

-Chet

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 08:20 AM
Da Warboss

England
I usually take every chance I get to foul the likes of wardancers and bull centaurs, but generally only if I can at least get a +3 to the AV roll (or +4 for BCs).

It has it's place, which means "not every turn" which is about right IMO. I tend to use it when I have the upper hand in manpower and can afford to lose a lineman

NAF #60

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 08:34 AM
Former President

England
Plenty of people are happy to foul under the current rules. At the recent R-v tourney I had a guy foul me 6 consectutive turns (with the eye on him for 5) before the ref finally spotted it.
Every turn..
-L'agression..
-L'agression..
-Hey I know what Foul is in French..
- L'agression
-C'mon Ref"
-L'agression..
COME ON REF!!!
-L'agression..
-L'agression..
-WAHOO!! FINALLY!!

My experience at tourneys and Pbem leagues is that coaches are happy to foul and I see plenty of it. Most of my teams have DPs, and I'll happily risk using them with the eye on me should the situation warrant it..

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 30, 2003 - 09:12 AM

Your original post pretty much sums up the fouling wars in our league, with the exception of one Undead team that's taking DP on every Zombie.

Generally, I foul based on the character of my team. For example, Skaven can't afford to start a foul war, Humans will mix it up if they have to, and Orcs consider the game a failure if their coach doesn't get thrown out.

-Oscar Wilde

jmccubbinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2003 - 05:33 AM

I play Skaven, you better believe I am going to foul. Gotta make up for that crappy armor.

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2003 - 09:52 AM

Canada
Like Melifaxis, I also play CD, and I do foul. As often as needed, not afraid to spare a few Hobboes to the eye of the referee if needed!

It's in the rulebook. If you don't want to play the rulebook, find another game! Wink That's what I say to those complaining about fouling!

Fred

jmccubbinOffline
Post subject: Re: Fouling  PostPosted: Jun 02, 2003 - 11:55 AM

Tutenkharnage wrote:
I seem to be alone (more or less) in the MBBL.
-Chet

Not anymore Smile Laughing

GattolardoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 03, 2003 - 04:51 AM

Playing Snotlings, fouling is a way of life for me....... Mr. Green Wink

I stop fouling only in the last few turns, where any damage I could do is quite worthless for the outcome of the match.. Rolling Eyes

....that is, unless I happen to hate my opponent....... Twisted Evil

Cheers
Rob

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic