NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 04:26 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Useless Minotaur! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ttthomasOffline
Post subject: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 08:02 PM

Middletown

So, I ran a single elimination tournament today, and ran into a couple questions.

How is overtime usually handled in single elimination tourney's? We had a game overtime, so we used the method in the book. Wood Elves got the kick off, and did what wood elves do and won the game in 2 turns.

Are there any alternatives worth mentioning for next time?

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject: RE: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Jan 29, 2011 - 08:32 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
You could try reversing the set up. So the receiving team sets up first, playing the full 8 turns rather than sudden death or even automatically giving the kicking team a blitz.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2011 - 08:20 AM

any reason you used a single elimination tournament rather than a swiss system?

sucks for those who turn up lose the first game and then it is game over

it also avoids the issue you ran into regarding overtime

Jon

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Jan 31, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Canada
I like how the computer game does it. You do 4 turn intervals. Gives the defending team a chance, but really I don't know if there is an effective "overtime" scenario that is fair.

XtremeOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2011 - 08:59 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Doubleskulls wrote:
or even automatically giving the kicking team a blitz.

This is my prefered method.

ttthomasOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Single Elimination Tournament Question  PostPosted: Feb 01, 2011 - 10:16 AM

Middletown

Grumbledook wrote:
any reason you used a single elimination tournament rather than a swiss system?

sucks for those who turn up lose the first game and then it is game over

it also avoids the issue you ran into regarding overtime

Honestly not familiar with a swiss system.
We ran a single elimination tournament because we wanted a playoff like experience, ending with a superbowl, ala NFL. it was the playoffs and championship coming out of a 12 game season.

One of the players come up with the following idea, but it could extend the game for a little while.
If the player who wins the kickoff scores without turning over the ball, then the other team gets an attempt. If the 2nd team turns over the ball, the game is over.
I'll also test the automatic blitz scenario.

I don't like the PC method. If rewards the team with the ball for not being able to score fast enough. Say a team scores on their turn 8 to score the tieing point, and then they have to kick off to the other team so they can have their turn 8. The recieving team now has 5 turns to drive down and score, instead of the come from behind team forcing an overtime.

I'll look more into the swiss system though.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2011 - 05:07 PM

United States of America
What are you doing college style. You might as well give them the ball on the half line.

First successful foul wins. Wink

ApocryphaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 01, 2011 - 07:07 PM

Port Hope Ontario
      daloonieshaman wrote:

First successful foul wins. Wink

Now that is true devotion to Nuffle!! Smile

DWBaileyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2011 - 12:31 AM

We have had really good luck with the Offense sets up first in OT rule. It gives the defender a real chance to react to what the offense does. I don't have the exact numbers but I think the kicking team has actually won more games in OT than the receiving team in our playoffs and I know that the defender has at least got possession of the ball in most games, even if they were unable to score with it. Just like the NFL, defense is a significant part of the game and I have no problem with sudden death. Plus if you are kicking to wood elves, they should only have like 7 players on the pitch by the time Overtime starts!! Twisted Evil

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2011 - 12:02 AM

United States of America
      DWBailey wrote:
We have had really good luck with the Offense sets up first in OT rule. It gives the defender a real chance to react to what the offense does. I don't have the exact numbers but I think the kicking team has actually won more games in OT than the receiving team in our playoffs and I know that the defender has at least got possession of the ball in most games, even if they were unable to score with it. Just like the NFL, defense is a significant part of the game and I have no problem with sudden death. Plus if you are kicking to wood elves, they should only have like 7 players on the pitch by the time Overtime starts!! Twisted Evil

Hey every time you played my woodies they only had 7 players on the pitch to start (well yes 8 but that's not the point)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic