NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 06:47 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Triple Skulls. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2012 - 09:43 PM

United States of America
      generaljason wrote:
      millandson wrote:
flying from the UK to anywhere in Europe I can find a flight to nearly anywhere for about £100 tops), and flying to the US, where it costs around £500-600.

£500 increase in travelling expenses per European participant? So what you're saying is, if all 450 Europeans out of the 480 participants from the last one wanted to go to one held in NA it would cost about £225,000, or $356,000 USD in additional travelling expenses?

If they want to come, yes
remember only those who want to play, play.
If many of us in LA had more than short notice of WCII we would have attended. It is very easy to raise money over a longer period of time.
As far as bidding on 2015 that process should have started at (actually finished) the WCII but since it did not it should have started January 1st.
Delays Delays Delays

Ideally, for an event of this importance, preregistration should happen 18 months with paid registration about 10-12 months for your core numbers. Then have a higher cost registration for second guessers. and a big jump for at the door wanttabes. You can have your down payment, usually 10% at 9-10 months with a room alteration if needed, about 3 months, and final payment at the door.

Is the US that much different?

"Life is simple, over come the logistics and the rest is clear sailing"

Reply with quote Back to top
generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2012 - 10:09 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Is the US that much different?

You mean different than the last one? Yeah, about 356,000 dollars different.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 12:04 AM

Undisclosed
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Delays Delays Delays

Not sure how you can say "delay", when it was never meant to be after the last WC or Jan 1st. It's only a delay if it didn't happen on the advertsied date (such as the Focus/Cyanide 2011 World Cup, that still hasn't started! Laughing )

And while I agree it would be nice to have the next WC location already, and bids for the 2019 one now, we're not a multi-billion pound organisation like FIFA or the Olympics. Seriously, how many people can honestly say they'll be playing BB in 8 years time? Yeah, sure, we can all say it now, but how many people have we seen that have now gone from the BB scene in the last 8? People that were, at that time, as committed to BB as we are today?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 01:14 AM

United States of America
I do agree with Dennis, and I will be advocating for trying to have the city announced for the 2019 WC at the 2015 WC.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 08:04 AM

British Columbia, Canada
      Darkson wrote:
Seriously, how many people can honestly say they'll be playing BB in 8 years time? Yeah, sure, we can all say it now, but how many people have we seen that have now gone from the BB scene in the last 8? People that were, at that time, as committed to BB as we are today?

Yeah I know I was laughing about it this the other day. WC 2019, and then WC 2023. I'll be almost 50 in 2023. I think some people forget that these are held every 4 years.

So just in the interest of speeding things along, I want to announce my World Cup bid right now. Yeah, WC 2043, held November 13, 14 and 15th, at:

Amica Retirement Community
Arbutus Manor
2125 Eddington Drive
Vancouver
BC V6L 3A9
Call 604.736.8936
http://www.amica.ca/arbutus/tour.html

Huge dining and seating area. They got 24 hour security if those pesky teenagers start getting rowdy. Room service if you get sick in between rounds. 24 hour in suite emergency response.

Mark it on your calendars boys. Oh and start saving.

blammahamOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Canada
I feel old already! S.

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 10:46 AM

United States of America
      Darkson wrote:
      daloonieshaman wrote:
Delays Delays Delays

Not sure how you can say "delay", when it was never meant to be after the last WC or Jan 1st. It's only a delay if it didn't happen on the advertsied date (such as the Focus/Cyanide 2011 World Cup, that still hasn't started! Laughing )

And while I agree it would be nice to have the next WC location already, and bids for the 2019 one now, we're not a multi-billion pound organisation like FIFA or the Olympics. Seriously, how many people can honestly say they'll be playing BB in 8 years time? Yeah, sure, we can all say it now, but how many people have we seen that have now gone from the BB scene in the last 8? People that were, at that time, as committed to BB as we are today?

Okay love dr #1, how many days before the event this time does NAF plan on getting the ball rolling? 5 - 6 maybe even stretch it to 10 days in advance.

I know this example is an exaggeration, but if NAF does not know by now and will not be transparent about when they might get a clue about getting started we are in a sad state.

As far as projection. If we have any leadership ability at all and figure in a few years that this is a game we no longer care about, Nuffle help us that we would have had the wisdom to pass to torch.

Planning has nothing to do with money.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 11:48 AM

Undisclosed
Who said they don't have a clue when they'll get started? I believe Lycos posted a rough tie line somewhere (but on my phone, so can't search). I think the location would be known 2 years in advance (but I might be misremembering so don't take that as gospel).

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 12:38 PM

United States of America
      Darkson wrote:
Who said they don't have a clue when they'll get started? I believe Lycos posted a rough tie line somewhere (but on my phone, so can't search). I think the location would be known 2 years in advance (but I might be misremembering so don't take that as gospel).

yea, and you wonder why people can't or won't want to travel further away than a 'local' game. and yes WCII by every right was a "local"event and yes I dare say "local" as the entirety of Europe can fit into one of our regions.
(valley girl voice) "Like [tisk] O.M.G., it took me 4-6 hours to drive there"

As we said in the Military "Piss Poor Prior Planning"

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2012 - 03:53 PM

British Columbia, Canada
      Darkson wrote:

So everyone has 2 years in advance to plan for the next one? Sounds more than ample to me, but then again I open my Christmas presents on Christmas day and not on the eve of.

magictobeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2012 - 12:55 AM

Belgium
[quote="generaljason"]
      Darkson wrote:

So just in the interest of speeding things along, I want to announce my World Cup bid right now. Yeah, WC 2043, held November 13, 14 and 15th, at:

Amica Retirement Community
Arbutus Manor
2125 Eddington Drive
Vancouver
BC V6L 3A9
Call 604.736.8936
http://www.amica.ca/arbutus/tour.html

Huge dining and seating area. They got 24 hour security if those pesky teenagers start getting rowdy. Room service if you get sick in between rounds. 24 hour in suite emergency response.

Mark it on your calendars boys. Oh and start saving.

Putting a euro a day in pot to travel to vancouver to be able to go to this world cup. I will be 67 and will have spare time enough to go their.

I hope one of my grand children will follow to throw my dice and move figs at the end of the board.

generaljasonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2012 - 07:42 AM

British Columbia, Canada
Yeah and we only have 2 rules:

01. You must put in your teeth.
02. Please turn up your volumes.

poundfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2012 - 11:32 AM

I think a world cup in Vegas would be awesome. With the right organization it would be memorable. I think attendance would be lower than any European WC, even if the quota system were thrown out (and for such a trek, I doubt a European quota would be necessary), and yes, there ate other things to do there).

I also think a Chicago or a Vancouver WC would be great, close to Spike and the Chaos Cup (the closeness in time would either hurt or help the Major's attendance, and we'd have to try it to find out). Venues however ate not as affordable in either location. Vegas is a convention town.

I would go to such an event, or even run it if given the chance. But yes, my skepticism regarding international participation has been noted on another thread.

Last edited by poundfist on Feb 05, 2012 - 02:59 PM; edited 1 time in total

zootsuitjeffOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2012 - 11:53 AM

United States of America
Was there a quota set up for 2007? My understanding was that the quota system was set up primarily due to limitations of the space. One nice advantage vegas has over most venues is a lot of flexibility of space. It will be relatively very easy to adjust size based on attendance

Notorious_jtbOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2012 - 03:16 PM

Canada
No quota needed for 2007 you are right. But it did take need a second venue to accomodate everyone.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic