NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 11:43 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff Oberwald should retire. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
hakomikeOffline
Post subject: Skaven themed pitch  PostPosted: May 21, 2012 - 01:35 PM

I'm putting a pitch together in anticipation of getting to play Blood Bowl for the first time ... one of these days!

The main body is four long, narrow styrofoam boards. After cutting all four to the length I wanted I put two of them side by side for the top. For the bottom I cut one of the pieces lengthwise and used the halves to surround the intact piece in the center. Everything was glued with wood glue and is pretty sturdy. The surface is wood glue and sand (the 50 lbs bag version with lots of particle size variation.) A few places needed more glue and sand, so the surface has a fun, uneven feel to it. I tried to avoid any unnatural looking textures in the surface.

The lines were done by finding the corners, the mid-field line, then using a template marked at 30mm to grid off the rest. The Skaven symbol was done by placing three rectangles of paper down, tapping the outline of each with yellow, then removing the paper and filling the interior with red.

I glued ~4" wide strips of felt to the sides, so that each wrapped around top and bottom. I used pins stuck in the styrofoam to hold it in place while the glue dried. The chaotic planking for the floor is balsa that I broke into different lengths and glued to the foam. I used wood glue and foam safe super glue for that (BSI super-gold+... no smell!) The wood was brushed with a mix of Future floor finish and Liquitex transparent burnt umber, then washed around edges with watered down Thraka green and then watered down Ogryn flesh. The dugouts were thin lengths of balsa that I stacked log cabin style, making sure to add some sloppy Skaven workmanship. The turn/re-rolls are more of the balsa that I used for most of the planking, painted an inconsistent yellow and then washed with Ogryn flesh. The dugout interiors have an additional wash of Ogryn flesh (again watered down) to make them a little darker than the rest of the board.

The one thing I worry about is how rough the sand surface feels. Laying minis down on the pitch is integral to the game, and I don't want to damage paint. Maybe I'll put a nice thick polyurethane coating down to smooth out the surface.

Next up... a score board!

Reply with quote Back to top
DarkDancer17Offline
Post subject: RE: Skaven themed pitch  PostPosted: Jun 02, 2012 - 02:32 AM

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Very nice! I really want to make a pitch... but finding the time is my downfall. Very Happy

Reply with quote Back to top
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic