NAF Logo
leftstar Mar 28, 2024 - 08:59 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Pass action..pick up Nobbla... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
majortuskOffline
Post subject: Stripping Miniatures  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2005 - 08:01 PM

United States of America
Suggested products that I have used. for Plastic and metal.

Gear needed: Brush, Rubber Gloves, Soap

THESE ARE THE PRODUCTS I WOULD RECOMMEND.

Pine Sol - http://www.pinesol.com/ this is something I have used for a while, this tends to clean off the mini fairly well after just a few hour soak. I would recommend 12-24 hours or so, no more for a plastic mini. While soaking in Pine Sol, the mini can discolor a little.

Simple Green - http://consumer.simplegreen.com/ this is a cleaning solution similiar to Pine Sol, except its not as harmful. Basically use the same directions as Pine Sol. I have not tried it yet, but have seen many people recommend it over Pine Sol. I will use it soon and give a report.

Other Products I have heard that work decently

Brake Fluid - I have heard alot of people using this to clean plastic miniatures. Make sure to use alot of soap to clean off the mini.

Oven Cleaner - I have heard alot of people using this to clean plastic miniatures. Make sure to use alot of soap to clean off the mini. and to keep the area ventilated

Products I would not recommend

Mineral Spirits - This did not exactly remove the paint very well. It had an extreme smell.

any kind of industrial Paint remover - I had left some of my minis in the goop, after an extended amount of time, it actually started to eat away at the metal Sad my blood thirster now has little holes in his wings.
-------------------------------------------------

No matter what substance you use, Do not leave them in the substance for more than a couple of days.

BBC Lockerroom

Reply with quote Back to top
trokosheaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2006 - 05:24 PM

Montreal (Quebec)
I need to strip paint from several miniatures with resin parts (Forgeworld style). Is there anybody able to tell me which stuff to use that is both safe for resin and efficient?
Thanks in advance,
Trok

aanemesisOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 06, 2006 - 12:17 AM

Here's a good article for using Simple Green from the excellent Dysartes.com site:

http://www.dysartes.com/model/modelling/strippingaminiature.php

I have used this, as it's finally available in my corner of the world. And I must say it's great. No, I don't work for simple green. Wink

frogbearOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 27, 2007 - 06:45 AM

Australia

For those in Australia, I have found the best paint stripper for miniatures to be Dettol disinfectant (yes, that brown stuff).

On both metal and plastic, and for ease of use (as well as health), there is not a cheaper and more ready liquid. I leave miniatures in there for over a month while doing other projects and the paint slips right off.

Just my findings. Regards...

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2008 - 09:34 AM

United States of America
I recently got turned on to finger nail polish remover I clean an entire high elf team in 1 hour (and that counts brush time for each figure)

Dennis

HorsebobOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2008 - 02:45 AM

Tasmania
I tried brake fluid for my dwarf team and they came up a treat I haven't tried it on plastics yet

arturinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 05, 2008 - 05:54 AM

Tudela, Spain
      daloonieshaman wrote:
I recently got turned on to finger nail polish remover I clean an entire high elf team in 1 hour (and that counts brush time for each figure)

Dennis

I have used this weekend a nail polish remover, but a special one without acetone which is available everywhere. It worked perfectly and didn't damage the plastic minis.

"The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel."

AzraelOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2009 - 02:41 AM

Sheffield, UK

In the UK you need DETTOL Pine Liquid disinectant.
Leave plastic or metal in for 24 hours and all the paint comes off.

cantattaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 17, 2009 - 01:58 PM

Just don't drop them in the garbage disposal when it's turned on... duh! While stripping a mini the other day with Pin-Sol, I was running hot water and the disposal to do away with the paint (silly, yes, I know). Then suddenly I lost grip on the little bugger and he fell into the drain, getting stuck on the rubber boot just long enough for me to hit the power switch. He then fell into the disposal just before the blades stopped and got a few dings. I have to resculpt a bit of armor and a shoe on one of my Orc linemen now, though luckily he is metal and not plastic, or he'd probably be ruined.

Tales from the dumb side...

sierra19Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2010 - 09:01 AM

I swear by Simple Green, used at full strength. The paint comes off by scrubbing the mini with a toothbrush, doesn't destroy plastic, and leaves Superglue joints intact. Leave your mini soak for a day or two, scrub it off, and you're done!

keith_reedOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2011 - 09:49 AM

Pine Sol will "melt" the plastic figures if they are left for 24 hours. I won't use it again for plastics. It makes the plastic soft and it doesn't harden back over time. Very nasty stuff on plastics.

Alkaline13Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 26, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Aurora, IL, USA
I've used simple green in the past -- and I have 2 teams soaking in a bucket of it right now.. they should be ready to scrub tonight or tomorrow.. I love the stuff

razialOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 02, 2011 - 10:42 AM

What I use for metal figures without any plastic parts is non-chlorinated carburetor cleaner. For plastic I use purple engine degreaser...both work really really well. Simple green takes too long for me... I am impatient.

xkobiexOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 04, 2011 - 11:18 AM

As for resin, stick to Simple Green or similar (low toxicity) cleansers. Brake cleaner et al may destroy resin which is by nature very porous. I had brake cleaner totally destroy an old pre-white metal dreadnought and resin is not nearly as resiliant.

Haplo_d_BiggsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 02, 2012 - 06:03 AM

Adelaide River Inn
      frogbear wrote:
For those in Australia, I have found the best paint stripper for miniatures to be Dettol disinfectant (yes, that brown stuff).

Jaysol (that yellow all purpose cleaner that you get at the $2 stores) seems to work okay on metal and plastic models, even if they get forgotten and left for a month or so.

Also, it doesn't seem to hurt the bases like the nail polish remover and break fluids have done to my minis.

Yes, more tales from the dumb side...

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic