NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 28, 2024 - 04:07 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
That boy's got talent! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2012 - 09:45 AM

Hi all

Was just wondering do people tend to adjust their tactics based on the opponent or generally stick with teams strengths?

I am a new player and am trying out dwarfs and Norse and thus far have decided to just play to their strengths, so for example with dwarfs I tend to hold the line, try and get a hole in the oppositions defense then send a runner through with the ball, or to snatch it. This sorta works ok (we have all barely played) but with the opponents being varied (thus far we have teams of dark elves, chaos, skaven, gobbos, lizardmen and chaos) I dont have the experience to change per opponent.

My 1st game with Norse is next week and going to try a more free-flowing tactic against lizardmen and will try and concentrate on a weaker flank, break through and defend as I go for the touchdown with 'second half of team' holding other flank.

Just wondering how people base their tactics and when/if they change it and by how much.

Thanks in advance.

You seem a decent fellow... I hate to die.

Reply with quote Back to top
Warpstone
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 23, 2012 - 08:22 PM

It's usually a bit of both. A general rule of thumb though is to base your approach to the game on "can I beat them up before they murder me?" Very Happy

In other words, even bashing sides sometimes have to deviate from their strengths when faced with teams that can out-grind them (i.e. Chaos with claw, other dwarves, Undead).

Basically, the more likely the other team is to win the attrition war, the more pressure there is on you to score before you're too low on players to alter the remainder of the game. Hence Norse for example will try to grind Elves beneath their heels, but will generally opt to avoid scrums against teams with AV9 heavies.

The converse is true too. If you're not worried about attrition, you can afford a more deliberate and conservative approach to securing possession and pounding up field. When faced with AV7 opponents, most Dwarf coaches benefit from setting a conservative stall to rope their opponents into several blocks and rolls that they would rather avoid. Worst case scenario, the agile opoonent scores quickly and then the Dwarves have consecutive drives to beat up their opponent and score (i.e. the remainder of the 1st half and the duration of the 2nd when the receive). The Norse are more likely to require adaptive tactics because your team is like a glass cannon. If you don't hit early and often, you might find yourself rolling mostly GFI's and AG dice in the second half rather than relying on attrition against Lizards and Chaos.

This sense of timing when to apply strengths and when to play it less aggressively will become intuitive after you face a range of opponents. Good luck!

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 - 12:30 AM

Well my well-planned out strategy of holding the line, take out some grunts quick and weaken them to make them an ineffective force .... didn't work Sad

Sadly the ability of his skinks to move through my tackle zones seemingly at will was the undoing of my Norse, and the one thing I didn't think off was that he wouldn't bother taking a Kroxigor so his Saurus basically did a holding action and even though I got a quick touchdown he then proceeded to then just drift past my defences and get 2 himself.

It did give me an early insight into the tactics though. yes my Norse does have some tough creatures but when faced with something with the ability to get through the tackle zones the defence should be better than a straight line!!

So suppose I have answered my own question (there was a point to this post) in that yes I have to use the Norse strengths BUT also take into account the opposition and learn to start varying my tactic.

I got a long road ahead of me .....

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 - 07:05 AM

looks like you learnt one of the biggest mistakes of defending and that is letting the other team get behind yours

you should always look to leave someone back unless you are taking a calculated gamble (assuming near full strength team of course)

Jon

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 - 08:24 AM

yeah, this was the 1st 1mill pts game we have done and stupidly I expected him to stock up on strength and try battering his way through. The idea of the majority of his team being skinks didn't even cross my mind even after a couple test runs on the PC of my team vs Lizardmen, just didn't realise that 'stunty' is such a good skill if your unprepared!

Well, you live and learn .... he is so gonna pay next time!!

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Jun 28, 2012 - 08:32 AM

that's the spirit!

with norse vs lizards, you want to try and get them towards the sidelines and use frenzy to push the saurus off the pitch and whenever possible keep hitting those skinks with your block players

Jon

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 02:14 AM

Well its been a while (some medical issues prevented me playing) but have put my norse up against first dark elves and then orcs for a 2-0 victory rate to me Smile Smile Smile Smile

I tried a tactic of 'let them receive 1st half, batter them to weaken then and run for a try 2nd half' and surprisingly both times it worked. Last nights orcs were especially satisfying, 5 in the injured box at end with 2 more in the knocked out ... he conceded when I scored a try Very Happy

We are now looking at some of the league rules (confused myself so quickly already) but taking it step by step so just have to get a good strategy for the skinks and I will go for a league whitewash Very Happy

OventaOffline
Post subject: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Sep 07, 2012 - 09:41 AM

Undisclosed
I like your Signature Smile
Needed to say that.

Back on topic:
Well it all comes with experience.
You live and learn.
Until then I would say stick to the team strength, and always try to not loss according to number of blocks ( ag4 is special case sometimes)

Cheers

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject: Re: RE: Tactics by team or by opponent?  PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 - 07:49 AM

Oventa wrote:
I like your Signature Smile
Needed to say that.

Back on topic:
Well it all comes with experience.
You live and learn.
Until then I would say stick to the team strength, and always try to not loss according to number of blocks ( ag4 is special case sometimes)

Cheers

First off, thank you Smile I use the Princess Bride quotes in all forums but vary them by forum. Its such a quotable film !

Sorry, didn't really understand the last bit. yes block has been very useful, to the frustration of the opponent, but what is AG4?

MattWhileOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 08, 2012 - 11:18 AM

Milton Keynes
Agility 4.

OventaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2012 - 10:20 AM

Undisclosed
I meant with agility4 teams like elves you have more often higher priorities than maximize on your blocks, since you are much more flexible.
That on the other hand usualy results that your bashy type opponent throws more blocks on you than you on him.
( though I think still as ag4 player you should take as much as possible blocks as you can,
I have seen elves players who did not even bother blocking my 3 guys on the line in their offence when they have 11 players and 8 turns to score and that is rubbish )

krlsrrllOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 11, 2012 - 02:09 AM

Ok, think I get what you mean. We are starting a small 4 player league soon and the teams will be my Norse, Lizardman, dark elves and or's. In playing them beforehand it was actually the lizardmen with their skinks that caused most issues but after playing the PC version for a bit I think I am getting an idea how to sort that out ... ignore the lizards and go straight for the skinks on 1-on-1's Smile

Have to say as a veteran of Warhammer Battle love the system for its balance and tactics. I initially though as norse as plain heavy hitters but after playing a few times think I can answer my own question. yes they do have some good strength characters, and block is damn useful, but don't rely on it and be prepared to use 'hold and run' tactics ... what I mean by that is use the core of my team to hold as much of the opponent up then make a break for a TD instead of just trying to power through them.

LordManHammerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 26, 2012 - 12:58 AM

You will probably find that Orcs will be a bigger threat at a higher team value. When they get their block and a bit of guard be vary of marking his players. Remember your weakness (AV 7 on most of your team) and play by it.

Cheerio,
Lord Manhammer

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic