NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 09:10 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Get your NAF on. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
quietdominatorOffline
Post subject: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebook 6  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 01:19 PM

United States of America
If a receiver has 2 tackle zones on him and the ball is targeted and thrown accurate to a square next to him with no tackle zones on it does the Diving Catch receiver suffer the -2 penalty to catch the ball or not. Please be specific as to why or why not that this happens. I would like an official word as well. Thank you Cool

Reply with quote Back to top
dode74Offline
Post subject: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebook 6  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes he does receive the penalty for TZs. Page 13 of CRP states -1 per opposing tacklezone on the player. He also gets a +1 bonus because the pass is accurate (as you specified and is confirmed on CRP page 13), but does not get +1 from Diving Catch because the accurate pass is not targeted to his square, and the skill description requires that the accurate pass is targeted at his square in order to get the +1 bonus from DC. Overall, the catch as you describe it will be subject to a -1 penalty.

bronko81Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebook 6  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 05:37 PM

dode74 wrote:
Yes he does receive the penalty for TZs. Page 13 of CRP states -1 per opposing tacklezone on the player. He also gets a +1 bonus because the pass is accurate (as you specified and is confirmed on CRP page 13), but does not get +1 from Diving Catch because the accurate pass is not targeted to his square, and the skill description requires that the accurate pass is targeted at his square in order to get the +1 bonus from DC. Overall, the catch as you describe it will be subject to a -1 penalty.

Agree to that. Although I was surprised about the "+1 for an accurate pass" - the wording of the rules is clear about that, just as dode wrote above.

If the Diving Catch player had Nerves of Steel, the TZs would be ignored. That's why I love Pro Elves. Wink

KilowoggyOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebook 6  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 06:06 PM

Undisclosed
Wait... I thought a pass to an unoccupied square would never be accurate? Dang... now I'm confused...

Co-Host of BOTH DOWN:The #1 Blood Bowl Podcast... that you can find at Both Down!
Or on Twitter @BothDown

bronko81Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebo  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 06:34 PM

Kilowog1 wrote:
Wait... I thought a pass to an unoccupied square would never be accurate?

Where did you find this? (Out of real curiosity, not to offend you.)

Or is there perhaps any Q&A concerning "passes to an emty square (not) being accurate"?

Or perhaps anything that rephrases the wording of Diving Catch so that an accurate pass in the sense of the skill rule can only be one targeted on the catcher? (This is what comes to my mind as "intended by the rules, but poorly phrased in that respect".) Otherwise, the current wording states exactly what dode wrote in his initial response.

quietdominatorOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebook 6  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 06:40 PM

United States of America
The words ...as if.... mean for example. If someone is across the room from you and you say I can hit you between the eyes with this ball as if you were standing right here. The person you are talking to is not right next to you they are across the room but you are good enough to hit them as if they were next to you. Diving Catch says.......In addition, the player can attempt to catch any pass, kick off or crowd throw-in, but not bouncing ball, that would land in an empty square in one of his tackle zones as if it had landed in his own square without leaving his current square. Meaning you do leave the square but it is like you did not. The player is that good at diving for the ball. So you are not in the TZ of the players when you catch the ball.

bronko81Offline
Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Rulebo  PostPosted: Nov 02, 2012 - 06:54 PM

quietdominator wrote:
that would land in an empty square in one of his tackle zones as if it had landed in his own square without leaving his current square. Meaning you do leave the square but it is like you did not. The player is that good at diving for the ball. So you are not in the TZ of the players when you catch the ball.

Just the other way round: You don't leave your square, but may catch as if you did.

That's what the first part says: ...without leaving his current square. So you are in the TZs when you perform your catch...

I see where your confusion stems from, but I hope you see how it is meant to be. (btw, the fact that the ball bounces from the catcher's square (not the targeted one next to him) if the ball is not caught, should be a further hint at what dode and I said. If the player actually moved to the other square, as you suggest, it would be logical for the ball to scatter from that square.)

dode74Offline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Ru  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 - 12:59 AM

As bronko81 said. It's "as if the ball landed in his own square" not "as if he were standing in the ball the square lands at". The TZs apply to the square he is standing in, therefore it works as if the ball landed in that square, therefore the relevant penalties apply.

quietdominatorOffline
Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Diving Catch as it pertains to Living Ru  PostPosted: Nov 03, 2012 - 11:13 PM

United States of America
OK well if that is the way it is then that is the way it is. Nice to know info. Thank you to all who answered.

LokiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 13, 2012 - 03:20 PM

England
+1 to Dode74 and bronko81

If I had to guess the 'always inaccurate to an empty square' is a misunderstanding involving Hail Mary Pass

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic