NAF Logo
leftstar May 20, 2024 - 06:58 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
You're right, he does have very long legs. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
celticgriffonOffline
Post subject: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between games  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 - 02:36 PM

Regina, Sask, Canada
Hi everyone,

I am going to be setting up a new League very shortly. Our first coach meeting is tomorrow night.

I was wondering if anyone has created any activity tables for the game in between league matches?

I am thinking something along the lines of the activities in Warhammer Quest if any of you have tried that system. For those who haven't, basically, Warhammer Quest (WQ) is a dungeon delving game system. In between dungeon encounters your hero is in the city or wilderness and their are a huge amount of random charts which affect time, income, skills, etc.

I am thinking these kind of charts might be great fun in a league setting especially if their is a weekly or semi-regular newsletter.

Thoughts?
Michael

Reply with quote Back to top
KilowoggyOffline
Post subject: RE: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between ga  PostPosted: Feb 06, 2013 - 02:44 PM

Undisclosed
I'm a huge lover of fluff(got a podcast devoted to it), and I think it's great to find things to keep the fluff going. I definitely think the newsletter is a great idea. We do that and it keeps interest high.
I'd be hesitant doing things that change the game though. However, I don't think it's a bad idea, just hesitant.
Could do gambling games with peoples winnings. Could have magical items for onetime use or something. Not totally sure.
Whatever you do come up with, let us know.

Co-Host of BOTH DOWN:The #1 Blood Bowl Podcast... that you can find at Both Down!
Or on Twitter @BothDown

celticgriffonOffline
Post subject: RE: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between ga  PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 - 10:53 AM

Regina, Sask, Canada
Kilowog - love those banners on Both Down!! Long live cheerleaders!

I think this will become a living work in progress. As I get creative spurts of energy I will perhaps add things to a file.

I am thinking I may need 2 entries per idea - 1) for the fluffy newsletter gist and 2) for any in-game rules that a league admin may want to enable.

I am just not sure yet how I am going to administer the items and how often - perhaps all coaches roll 2d6 and it only affects the highest unique and lowest unique rolls?

I was thinking every week a coach would have three options:

1) go to a location / event himself
2) send a player or an assistant coach
3) abstain

There would be about a 70 / 30 split for positive vs. negative consequences at each location. Abstaining would have no negatives except for a lot of hilarious / humiliating items of fluff (i.e. they get caught doing a no-no in the dark side of town).

Locations (ideas):

1) Pub

2) Minor League visits

3) Magic / Apothecaries Guild

4) Doctor's Office

5) Dark Side of Town (perhaps this will be the abstain defacto)

6) Travel / Exploration / Wilderness

7) Fan Public Relations

Cool Smithy / Scientist

etc...

DaggersOffline
Post subject: RE: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between ga  PostPosted: Feb 07, 2013 - 11:09 AM

Canada
Very cool, love the idea of adding stuff outside the actual league games. And yes, I do agree with Kilowoggy, as long as it doesnt greatly change the actual in game play too much, I say go for it.

I could see you sending either a) coach, assistant coach or b) player. And the positives could be something as simple as recieving a free apothecary for the next game or something.

Love to see how this develops, keep us up to date.

celticgriffonOffline
Post subject: RE: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between ga  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 - 01:24 PM

Regina, Sask, Canada
Ok everyone,

I came up with some ideas for what I am trying to accomplish.

But to be honest I am in self-doubt.. I mean is this much different that the current inducement offers? Not really...

I guess a few more chaotic events never really hurt the commentary for a Blood Bowl game right? And fluff really is what makes leagues rise above imo. I must say, I miss a lot of those 3rd edition Death Zone cards.

I think the option for each coach to be active or passive on these events is what might make this work... (i.e. active would trigger the effects of P, C or B and passive would only provide fluff for the newspaper).

Available: C: Coach P: Player B: Both
Item # Good or Bad Effect

1. Bad / Explosion – During practice a randomly discarded mine was placed on the field.
C: stepped on it – must miss next game (unless it is a final of a play-off – damned if the coach will miss that.
P: this player receives -1 to all attributes (MV, AG, ST, A) next game due to the shake-up
2. Bad / Hot-heads – During practice this player and another player or the coach and a player get into a heated argument. A few fists may have been thrown, however, nothing too terrible.
P: Holds a grudge because of the incident. During the next game the player may not help his team any way – this means no assisting blocks or fouls, no hand-offs or pass attempts. The player is on his own.
C: The player with the most SPP’s (induced, or normal player) is benched during the first drive (may not play). If most SPP’s are tied the coach can choose.
3. Good / Lost and Found – In the stands or on the field the player or coach found a lucky trinket. Of course this means good luck!
B: One time use for next game - A “1” result on a d6 roll may be re-rolled for free. This may not be used if the “1” result was already a re-roll.
4. Good / Dugout Skullduggery – After a particularly bad practice session the team or player instead puts a trap on the opposing team’s dugout.
B: At any time during your next game you can spring the trap. One of the opponent’s players in the reserve box (that player's choice) gets pinned missing the next drive.
5. Good / Stand Skullduggery – A bouncing ball into the “De Other Fanz” section gives the coach or player a wonderful, awful idea. They set a trap in this area; that will teach them for cheering for the wrong team.
B: Use at any time during your next game. You can reduce the opponents Fan support by 1d3 x 1000. This will affect the earnings and Fame for the remainder of the match.
6. Good / Get it Together Boys - Finally, after the zillionth attempt at offensive play #1 in the coaches journal things click together. Surprisingly the player’s do have brains in them yet.
P: Next game: After the kick off result has been determined, but before the ball lands and before the receiving team takes their turn you may reposition the player to any location on their side of the pitch.
C: Next game: After the kick off result has been determined but before the ball lands, the receiving team may move one player up to three spaces (ignoring tackle zones and other effects).
7. Good / Endurance. All those grueling laps around that field are going to pay off this time!
P: Your Move allowance is +2 for the next game only
C: In the next game, any player on your team may add +2 to their M for one action.
8. Good / Even the best players go down from time to time. The team pays extra attention to the art of falling.
C: Once next game: If a player falls due to a missed dodge or go for it roll you can prevent the opposing coach from rolling the armour check. A turnover will still occur.
P: Once next game: If a player hits the pitch due to a missed dodge, go for it, or block attempt you can prevent the opposing coach from rolling for armour. Normal rules for turnovers apply.
9. Good / Sprints, Sprints, and more Sprints – All of those sprints are going to pay off this time!
P: Once next game: During a single action you may go for it up to two extra times (standard rules apply). At the end of that player's action, however, you must move the player to the reserve box for the next drive.
C: Once next game: A single player on your team may go for it as described above. Same rules apply.
10. Nasty / A misunderstood instruction leads to a complete cluster... erm.... mess. Bodies are laying on the field like you were playing against NUFFLE itself.
P: Your player misses the next game, unfortunately. It will take a while for this one to heal.
C: One non-journeyman player on your team must miss the next game. Your opponent chooses. Induced Star Players and Mercenaries are eligible.

Last edited by celticgriffon on Feb 08, 2013 - 06:25 PM; edited 2 times in total

celticgriffonOffline
Post subject: RE: Leagues - suggestions for fluff / activity in between ga  PostPosted: Feb 08, 2013 - 01:42 PM

Regina, Sask, Canada
Yes.. there needs to be clarification on a bunch of items (ie. who chooses the player for some of these events)... It is just a few ideas I hashed together in a short time.

I would love to have your comments - good, bad, ugly... i have a pretty thick skin.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic