NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 04:21 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Got Block? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
podmeisterOffline
Post subject: One day tournament - what does and doesn't work?  PostPosted: Nov 21, 2016 - 07:49 AM

York
Hi There

Just wanted to quiz some of the experienced event organisers here.

My local gaming club are looking at hosting a one day tournament / cup as our first blood bowl event.

It's a tough challenge due to only really having time for 3 games in the day. as such are there any tips, tricks and suggestions as to how we could run it.

So far, we're planning on running it as a swiss system.

So far thoughts to determine puts would be:

Win = 6pts, Draw = 3pts, Loss = 0pts

We are then thinking we can apply pts for touchdowns, casualties, successful throws etc to try and help define positions etc.

Skills, we'd be thinking along the lines of allowing a number of extra skills etc and a tv of 120.

We'd love to hear what has and hasn't worked.

Cheers

Reply with quote Back to top
MepmuffOffline
Post subject: RE: One day tournament - what does and doesn  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2016 - 04:06 AM

Undisclosed
If you're strapped for time you can:
    - Allow only skills upfront. Picking skills / adjusting teams between games takes time.
    - Make a strict timetable and actually call games when time is up. This should make it possible to have each game run 2 hours and have minimal time between rounds. Shorter games are of course also possible, but in that case I would suggest calculating a required time per turn (3 min, or even 2) and using game timers.

Regarding your scoring system I would advise against bonus points. I would want the coach that wins three games to end up above any coach that doesn't. Using touchdowns and casualties in tiebreakers is not so big a deal IMHO, but beware you might favour certain teams based on your choice.

TojurubOffline
Post subject: RE: One day tournament - what does and doesn  PostPosted: Nov 24, 2016 - 04:27 AM

Germany
Even though I love bonus points, I would advise against them for your first tourney. Bonus points are a tough topic among coaches and if the system used is not well thought through it will lead to unhappiness and you don't want coaches to leave your first tourney unhappy.

I would count 2.5h for each game for planning starting times. If you are tight in time, you as an organizer should not play and have somebody else play as substitute in case you have an odd number of coaches. Entering results and making the draw can be time consuming if you are not familiar with the tool. Make sure you do a try run with the scoring program, e.g. SCORE, at least a few days prior to the tourney.

For TV and skill distribution, think it through what you want to achieve, i.e. what teams you'll favor over others, which teams you need/want to boost with giving extra skills (or less skills). Like Mepmuff said: have the skills assigned all prior to the tourney has a big advantage in tourney logistics. Have the rosters be mailed to you in advance of the tourney. Reduces time on the registration. Make sure to have the tourney rules very clear and simple (especially in hindsight of the use/non-use of inducements and tiebreaking procedure).

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Darkson
Post subject: RE: One day tournament - what does and doesn  PostPosted: Nov 28, 2016 - 01:39 PM

Undisclosed
PM Glowworm and/or Hairypete here or on TFF for some advise - both of them run successful one-day tournaments, upto 50 people, and should be able to give you some valuable insights.
Not sure how much either use this forum (which is, unfortunately, pretty dead Sad ).

One thing I would say, don't be concerned if your first event doesn't get a big turn-out - with so many tournaments in the UK it can take a while for world to spread.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic