NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 03:48 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Zombie pass for the win! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 02:17 PM

Germany
Hopefully GW Canada does things better than the US or German headquarters....we just have to find out.

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 03:14 PM

Undisclosed
      Tojurub wrote:
Hopefully GW Canada does things better than the US or German headquarters....we just have to find out.

Or from the looks of things, the UK events team Rolling Eyes

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 04:11 PM

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
I also think Europe has a greater history of public space. Over here we don't have the pubs and halls like they do overseas. And if we do find one it's usually freakin' expensive. Cons are a cheap way to run an event with less risk of not breaking even.

Oh really? I always heard it was the opposite.

In any case, you can always find something good if you look hard enough.

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 04:18 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
Lastly, if you want to see how GW can run a BB event I suggest you come to the Spike! and see

I hope this is true, closer to the time I'll see how it's shaping up and see if I will be coming. The other three majors aren't looking to impresive, can't be too hard to top them.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 07:08 PM

Toronto, ON
Well I'm helping organize the Spike! so it better be good Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 08:07 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Well that is a promising start.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 04:50 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
Oh really? I always heard it was the opposite.

I personally don't have to pay for the GenCon space at all Zombie ... its a no charge cost to me and I get my admission to GenCon free for running the tournament.

So it definitely a lot easier on me budget wise to have the tournament at GenCon. Last year ... I think the Blood Bowl tournament was 8 USD on top of the Con admission for player. This year it will be 15 USD I think but only because GW-US is refusing to provide any prizes for the tournament.

Galak

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 05:25 AM
Da Warboss

England
No prizes at all??
so who will be providing the prizes?

NAF #60

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 06:15 AM

Galak, it may be cheaper for the organizers but not for the participants. How much is entrance to GenCon for the weekend? That in itself is probably more than i paid for admission to the DeathBowl.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 08:31 AM

Toronto, ON
I think GenCon is probably and exception to the rules because of its size. What was the DB entry fee BTW?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 08:42 AM

United States of America
I think it was $35 Canadian if you pre-reg'ed, $40 at the door, and $5 back if you were a NAF member...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 08:45 AM

Toronto, ON
Sounds about the same as the Canadian Open.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 08:50 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Zombie wrote:
Galak, it may be cheaper for the organizers but not for the participants. How much is entrance to GenCon for the weekend? That in itself is probably more than i paid for admission to the DeathBowl.

GenCon admission is 46 USD ... BB tournament is 13.50 for a total of 59.50 USD for GenCon ... however ... as Brian/CyberHare said ... GenCon is worth quite a bit ... not to you ... I understand that completely ... but to most folks they would be coming to GenCon anyway ... having a BB tournament there is just gravy.

====================================

Indigo ... I'm footing the bill for a lot of it because this is a really large tournament and I'm not getting prize support from GW-US this year and GW-UK is not as able to help tournaments as they have been in the past either.

Here's the break down of expenses for running GenCon:
Prizes: 425 USD (13 different prizes + gate fig for anyone finishing all 4 games)
Trophies: 150 USD (8 trophies)
Odd Man Odd: 50 USD
Photocopies: 100 USD

So that's 725 to run the tournament. Last year I had a lot of corporate/individual help from both GW-US, GW-UK, OldManMonkey, Deathwing, ChaosMailOrder.com, and VirtualAlchemist.com. This year I've requested corporate help from Phigsminiatures.com and ChaosMailOrder.com which they've already agreed to provide for some free advertising in one case and just because Phil is a hell of a guy in the other ... (but their discounts are already factored into the above numbers at this point).

So don't worry there will be prizes as you can see.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Feb 13, 2004 - 01:34 PM; edited 1 time in total

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 09:52 AM

Germany
....so you need 50 people to attend to break even...how many did attend last year? I know CC03 were 43 players, but I think GC03 had a higher attendence

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 11:30 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Tojurub wrote:
....so you need 50 people to attend to break even...how many did attend last year? I know CC03 were 43 players, but I think GC03 had a higher attendence

97 players to break even ... GenCon gets 6 USD (1.50 USD per a game per a player) of the 13.50 USD as an overhead fee. GenCon 03 had 70 paid players (of which only 60 showed up). I'm fully expecting to have to foot some of the bill for GenCon this year, but last year I paid about 250 USD of my own money to have the tounament ... so I'm not opposed to some out of pocket expenses to make this tournament run and run well.

I realize at this point this thread has been completely hijacked. But a one day "Majors" event ... come on even Greggster and Majortusk who are defending GW here to the nines have to agree that the whole event becomes a question mark as a "Majors" event. I WILL try to attend, but if my wife makes me choose between the Underworld Cup and the Chaos Cup, I'm going to have to go to the Underworld Cup. If they land on the same weekend, it will not be a choice at all.

In summary and on topic about the Chaos Cup '04:
1) I'm disappointed its a one day event
2) As a one day event I think attendance will suffer as I doubt as group like the Spanish Team will fly over.
3) Greggster/Majortusk ... I offered to help with the event and was turned down.
4) GW has already confirmed to me that the Chaos Cup will receive significantly less funding this year for advertising and prizes as compared to last year.
5) I will do my part and put a pull in for this tournament at the GenCon Bowl.
6) I will contact GW and see if they'll give me a free ticket for 1st place like they did Greggster's tournament as a means of additional promotion of the event.
7) I will be very interested to see the rules for the 2004 Chaos Cup as I'm not sure the 2004 Blood Bowl rules work well for a one day tournament and I'm not sure they'll have time to do the quiz worth 10% of the points (or if they'll be willing to write one). Maybe GW-UK events will give them a copy and we can all get the answers ahead of time.
8) I would like to argue that just because GW runs the event doesn't mean I have to go to it if I disagree with the format. I hear Majortusk/Greggster's points about supporting the "official" US major, but I would like to beg to differ that if the US cancels the Chaos Cup that we'll lose it. I know GW-UK is open to having an independent run the Chaos Cup as this question was researched last year at one when questions came up about the whens and hows of the Chaos Cup. If GW-US says screw it we won't run it ... there is no reason one of us would not be allowed to run it. I'm 100% behind supporting Blood Bowl and GW when they support Blood Bowl ... doesn't mean I cannot question if I think they've made some bad choices.

Galak

Last edited by GalakStarscraper on Feb 13, 2004 - 01:35 PM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic