NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 12:35 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Danish team - Eurobowl Drinking Champions rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 09:12 AM

Netherlands
I agree the coach makes a difference, but obviously there are some teams that any coach would prefer not the play. Some rosters a just harder to play against for each given team. Even longshot would prefer to play certain roster types when he plays woodelves.

Reply with quote Back to top
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 09:17 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
probabely.

I do think the 'nemesisses (??)' could indeed be limited to mostly Orcs. All round and survivable

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 09:27 AM

Netherlands
I think what we need is the team that each roster has the hardest time beating, in general. Is should be a team that normally exploits the weaknesses of the team and/or defeats the advantages the team hold.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 01:06 PM

neoliminal wrote:
There are four teams on zombies list. (if you equate Dark and High elves)

Actually, there are 6 teams. Out of the potential 15, it's not that bad. You can't seriously expect halflings and goblins to be any team's nemesis.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 01:08 PM

If you absolutely need a 7th team, replace wood elves by undead as the dwarves' nemesis. It's frustrating for a bashing team to play against regeneration.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 01:28 PM

Dwarves nemesis would be the Khemri. Four ST5 players are a tough bit to swallow for the all-ST3 team.

Member #52

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Netherlands
Zombie: I don't mind have a couple of teams as nemeses for each (hence the plural usage.) So if you like, please expand your list to include more teams.

Mestari: It seems to me that Dwarves would have some advantage against Khemri with two players that included Dauntless. I don't really know because I've never played Dwarves against Khemri.

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 02:41 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I think I would prefer a st5 player to help me out against the mummies than a dauntless player. I failed dauntless with my ST2 slayer too often .. (I hate snake eyes)

One ST5 feels (is??) more reliable

I think Undead / Khemri are pretty 'nemeses'against dwarves

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 - 09:33 AM

After playing the Elf roster a bit, I have some strengths / weaknesses. The list is longer than neo's per-team list, I just wanted to be thorough.

Strengths:
Cheaper linemen and passers mean starting rosters can have more position players or rerolls (or both).
Nerves of Steel catchers are an amazing scoring threat. This team is the king of the two turn score. They've got the best passing game, period.
Nerves of Steel catchers also make good passblockers. You've got 4 on the roster, so you can afford to develop two with passblock, shadowing, tackle, diving tackle. That can really shut down your opponent's passing game.
High agility means your guard/tackle players can get where they need to go. It also means your linemen all can advance quickly if you want to (not too hard to throw a quick pass, for example, or even catch and score).

Weaknesses:
Low armor means you're going to die, die, die.
Earlier positional access (compared to other elf teams) means linemen won't necessarily get skilled up as much. By game 5, my elves managed to win 4-0, with only the MVP SPPs going to a lineman, the rest going to Catchers, Blitzers, and Passers.
No big guy or star access.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 - 09:35 AM

Also, I don't know why the elf teams are listed as "slow developing" teams. I'd say, with all AG4, you can get your linemen to two skills much faster than, say, humans. Quick passes to get from MVP 5 to Skill 6, interceptions on a 5+ if your oppo isn't paying attention, and the ever-present scoring threat.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 - 02:16 PM

When playing Orcs I always find Lizardmen the toughest opponent.

They have more strong players than the Orcs do and move faster. Trying to move a cage against them is very tough.

Boom! He's on his back!

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 26, 2004 - 02:56 PM

pfooti wrote:
Earlier positional access (compared to other elf teams) means linemen won't necessarily get skilled up as much. By game 5, my elves managed to win 4-0, with only the MVP SPPs going to a lineman, the rest going to Catchers, Blitzers, and Passers.

That's not a weakness of the team, that's you playing it wrong. First of all, you should have started with more rerolls rather than more positional players. It's a better bet for long term. Second, even with the positional players present, you should still do everything in your power to score with the line-elves, just like you would with in any team.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 - 01:58 AM

neoliminal wrote:

Mestari: It seems to me that Dwarves would have some advantage against Khemri with two players that included Dauntless. I don't really know because I've never played Dwarves against Khemri.

Dauntless against ST5 fails 10/36. If there's just one ST5 guy, the slayers can handle it, but if there are four, the game gets desperate. Using the slayers also means putting them right to the action, which prompts an immediate targetting from the mummies. The ST5/AV9/MB mummy simply has a lot better chance of taking out the ST3/AV8/Dauntless Slayer than the other way round. And if there are more of them, the outcome is pretty clear.

Member #52

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 - 06:27 AM

If the Mummy doesn't have Block, the Slayer can do a good job mano-a-mano on the first block, even without re-rolls or assists.

* Mummy knocked down: 43%
* Mummy pushed back: 37%
* Slayer down: 21%

If the Mummy is pushed into an assist-free area, repeat those numbers.

With an assist, the Slayer's odds improve, but not significantly.

* Mummy knocked down: 47%
* Mummy pushed back: 42%
* Slayer down: 10%

What's notable here? The "Slayer down" percentage dropped. (Note that I'm rounding to the nearest percent; accordingly, the numbers don't add up to 100.)

With two assists, the Slayer gets rolling:

* Mummy knocked down: 54%
* Mummy pushed back: 39%
* Slayer down: 7%

If the Mummy has Block, the Slayer is probably in trouble.

Unfortunately for the Dwarf coach, he doesn't have a Slayer and two assists for every Mummy, which is why the situation is usually desperate against Khemri. Against old Undead, Slayers had it good, I think; against a ST4 quartet such as Orcs or Chaos, they're also good; but against Khemri, I think it wise to slaughter some Skeletons first.

-Chet

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 28, 2004 - 11:59 AM

Germany
As a dwarf playing coach I hate any team, which has more than 2 ST4+ playining opponents. The troll slayers (only 2 available) can only use their dauntless skill during their turn...As soon as the other team hits you first the slayers go down and with AV8 they are easier to take out than Blitzers or LB's. If the dwarves face a team, which has only 2 or less ST4+ in it it really doesn't matter. So, if you ask me the nemesis of dwarf teams are:
Khemri, Lizardman, [edit] Chaos [/edit], Chaos Dwarfs ...sometimes Orcs (depends on roster).....and of course the wardancing and speedy woodelves

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Last edited by Tojurub on Jan 29, 2004 - 07:49 AM; edited 1 time in total

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic