NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 07:18 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Go for it! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
neoliminalOffline
Post subject: Strength and Weaknesses of each roster.  PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 09:52 AM

United States of America
I've been working on a quick glance guide for the strategic strengths and weaknesses of each roster. The new rosters are not yet included, but I wanted to get feedback and input from the NAF community.

Updated with Nemeses data from FUMBBL (Thanks Christer)

John -

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Amazon
Strengths: Starting with Dodge makes them very hard to knock over. Amazingly cheap Re-Rolls allows for a good starting roster. One of the best blitzers in the game, since they start with Block/Dodge. Every linewoman can become a blitzer type with a single skill (block). Quick development as starting team.
Weaknesses: Low armour value means injuries can pile up. Any team that has invested in Tackle will hurt this team very badly and requires a completely different style of play for the amazon coach to defeat. Slower development as veteran team. Movement Allowance 6 makes outrunning even the slowest opponents hard.
Nemeses: Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf

Chaos
Strengths: Strength 4 players who can get Physical Traits. Strength 4 players who have AG 3 (do they can handle the ball). Linemen who can take Physical Traits.
Weaknesses: One dimensional team, with little room for tactical play decisions. Easy to target ball handlers.
Nemeses: Undead, Khemri, Amazon

Chaos Dwarf
Strengths: Six great blockers and two great blitzers with Strength Skill Access. Very inexpensive linemen.
Weaknesses: Linemen are the ball handlers and can be easy targets. Bull Centaurs are expensive and hard to replace.
Nemeses: Khemri, Undead, Skaven

Dark Elf
Strengths: Blocking game enhanced by ability to dodge extra assists into place. Superior ball handling skill on both offense and defense.
Weaknesses: Expensive to replace players. Slow building team. No Strength Skill access.
Nemeses: Necromatic, Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf

Dwarf
Strengths: Cheap Re-Rolls. Block on nearly all players, tackle on all linemen. Favour a methodical play style that prefers lower scroring games. Best blocking team. Superior AV and Thick Skull make them hard to take out of the game.
Weaknesses: Slower Movement Allowance requires exceptional postional play. Can be outscored early in games. No passing game on offense.
Nemeses: Vampire, Undead, Khemri

Elf
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Nemeses: Human, Chaos Dwarf, Dwarf

Goblin
Strengths: Very cheap linemen. Stunty access allow exceptional freedom of movement. Rigth Stuff allows for Thrown Players to score in one turn.
Weaknesses: Fragile players who are easily injured.
Nemeses: Dwarf, Undead, Orc... (all)

Halfling
Strengths: Extremely cheap linemen. Stunty access allow exceptional freedom of movement. Rigth Stuff allows for Thrown Players to score in one turn.
Weaknesses: Extremely fragile players who are easily injured. Slow movement.
Nemeses: Orc, Human, Dark Elf... (all)

High Elf
Strengths: Superior ball handling skill on both offense and defense. Very agile passing game means ball movement is never a problem.
Weaknesses: Expensive to replace players. Slow building team. No Strength Skill access.
Nemeses: Undead, Lizardman, Dwarf

Human
Strengths: Adaptive ability to exploit opponents weaknesses. Adept at running or passing the ball. Useful starting skills on all position players. Low Re-Roll costs. Strong team building abilities.
Weaknesses: No stand-out abilities to exploit. Requires ability to pick apart opponents weaknesses to succeed.
Nemeses: High Elf, Nurgle's Rotters, Necromatic

Khemri
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Nemeses: Human, Necromatic, Orc

Lizardmen
Strengths: Extreme position players dictate play style. Six Strength 4 players and up to twelve MA 8 players with stunty make for an impressive running game.
Weaknesses: Weak skinks are easily hurt, Saurus can't handle the ball.
Nemeses: Dwarf, Chaos Dwarf, Skaven

Necromantic
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Nemeses: Undead, Amazon, Chaos Dwarf

Norse
Strengths: All players start with Block, so the first skill most coaches would normally give a player are already on the team. With passers, catchers and blitzers, the team can play a balanced offense and can hurt opponents with block on defense.
Weaknesses: Low AV means the team will have a bad game eventually. Coaches that don't keep money in reserve will pay the price later. Early season wins eventually lead to veteran team loses as the low AV starts to take it's toll. Movement Allowance 6 makes outrunning even the slowest opponents hard.
Nemeses: Undead, Chaos Dwarf, Orc

Nurgle's Rotters
Strengths:
Weaknesses:
Nemeses:

Orc
Strengths: Throwers, blitzers and amazing blockers mean this team can definately run the ball. Goblins on the roster mean the deep pass is a threat. Very high AV keeps players in the game.
Weaknesses: Slower than most teams. Can have a hard time against Dodge heavy teams who play a non-contact style. Have trouble coming from behind if opponent gets an early lead.
Nemeses: Elf, Amazon, Wood Elf

Skaven
Strengths: Extremely fast players can create plays almost anywhere on the board. Gutter Runners can become on turn scorers. Passing game, from either throwers or Gutter Runners, a constant threat to score.
Weaknesses: Low AV means key players can be removed from the game. Most players can be forced into blocking game because they lack dodge.
Nemeses: Undead, High Elf, Human, Dark Elf

Undead
Strengths: Mummies are extremely strong for position players. Regeneration keeps home grown stars from being removed from the game and prevents the team from losing a battle of attrition.
Weaknesses: Linemen are very weak and slow. No passers mean Ghouls have to work both sides for a passing game. Mummies low MA can keep them out of the play.
Nemeses: Khemri, Nurgle's Rotters, Dark Elf

Woodelves
Strengths: Easy scoring with very fast, high agility players. Ability to take ball away from opposing players with Wood Elves. Scoring threat even with very few players on the field.
Weaknesses: Light AV means casualties can mount. Expensive players are hard to replace.
Nemeses: Undead, Amazon, Chaos Dwarf

Last edited by neoliminal on Jan 25, 2004 - 02:41 PM; edited 6 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 10:53 AM

England
Looks good to me. I have just a few suggested additions.

Halflings low MA of 5 seems like an obvious weakness to me. I would be tempted to say that Goblins are a bit slow too. They also lack the ability to easily develop a dedicated ball handler, having to roll a double to get sure hands.

Norse and Amazon's straight 6 MA makes it difficult for them to outrun even the slowest of teams. Norse vs Orcs is a good case in point. They have an overall ST and AV disadvantage, so tend to lose a long term blocking match. But they don't have the speed necessary to run away either.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 11:21 AM

Where are the Wood Elves?

Regarding what's written, I don't understand how Orcs can be the only team labeled "one of the best teams." This tag certainly belongs with Human and Skaven teams as well.

-Chet

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 23, 2004 - 07:00 PM

I agree that halflings are a bit slow, but goblins certainly aren't. MA6, stunty and dodge means you can get pretty much anywhere.

I'd list 4+ regeneration as a weakness as well as a strength. It's not as good at keeping your players alive as an apothecary, and ghouls don't have it. But as an upside, it makes your team almost impossible to reduce in numbers in a single game. Also add cheap linemen as a strength for that team.

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 01:35 AM

Some justifications for the nemesis choices might be in order. Maybe a text briefly summarising why the team is their nemesis. I have hard time understanding some of the choices, unless the choices are mostly fluff-based.

The elf teams have the advantage of being easily able to develop their linemen.

Member #52

MestariOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 01:40 AM

For example: Undead is listed as the Wood elf teams nemesis. However, the undead usually have a very small amount of Tackle players, they have very low mobility and definitely are less of a threat to wood elves than more mobile or more tackle-heavy teams. I'm interested to hear the justifications for that choice. Dark Elves as Amazons nemesis is another peculiar choice. Or is it just that they are fluff choices?

Member #52

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 02:35 AM

I thought it was obvious that the nemesis bit was fluff after i read just the first one : amazon's nemesis were not presented as the dwarves.

TuernRedvenomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 06:38 AM

Zombie wrote:
I thought it was obvious that the nemesis bit was fluff after i read just the first one : amazon's nemesis were not presented as the dwarves.

I was sure the nemesis wasn't fluff based after I read Dark Elves nemesis to be dwarves (I personally think chaos dwarves are toughest to beat with DE, but anyway), if it was fluff based this clearly should have been the High Elves.

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 08:33 AM

United States of America
The current list of nemeses was based on fluff and game data taken from FUMBBL. It's very open to changes and was added as an afterthought. This is an interactive list, so please suggest changes.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 02:26 PM

Nemesis for each race, off the top of my head (no fluff in my list, so don't rate it on that level):

Amazon - Dwarf (tackle vs dodge)
Chaos - Chaos dwarf (the best long term team but worst short term should have the best short term team as its nemesis)
Chaos Dwarf - Orc (bull centaurs must hate getting tied up by black orcs)
Dark Elf - Wood Elf (don't elves hate being matched up against faster elves?)
Dwarf - Wood Elf (hard to catch up with once they escape, and wardancers are the greatest cage busters)
Goblin - Dwarf (tackle anyone?)
Halfling - Dwarf (need i say more?)
High Elf - Chaos Dwarf (tackle + fast bull centaurs to bring down the ST3 catchers)
Human - Orc (the team who's only strength is exploiting the other team's weekness must have a hard time against the only other team that doesn't have weeknesses)
Lizardman - Chaos Dwarf (block/tackle to take out the skinks, but still fast enough to catch up with them)
Norse - Dwarf (don't you hate it when everyone one the other team has block as well, but +2 AV over you?)
Orc - High Elf (tough to find a nemesis for orcs; but for me when playing orcs, elf teams are the most annoying)
Skaven - Chaos Dwarf (it's always tough for an AV7 team without dodge or AG4 to face those bullies)
Undead - Wood Elf (what good is regeneration against a team that won't hit?)
Wood Elf - Chaos (both are the strongest long term teams, while being such total opposites in playing style)

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 02:31 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I guess I agree zombie ..

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 24, 2004 - 03:19 PM

United States of America
There are four teams on zombies list. (if you equate Dark and High elves)

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 07:44 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
      neoliminal wrote:
There are four teams on zombies list. (if you equate Dark and High elves)

that's also because Orc and Dwarves are pretty tough to play against in any case (at least, I don't like playing against them ...)

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 09:04 AM

United States of America
When I first started making this list, I noticed that I was putting the same teams as nemeses over and over. Seems I was putting the teams I had a problem playing against, not the teams the rosters had problems against.

By what zombie has put here, there are only four teams you should ever play, since they are the nemesis of all the other teams.

I think I need a more statistical analysis from actual game data... Smile

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jan 25, 2004 - 09:07 AM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I also think it depends a lot (big lot) on the coach. Some Wood Elf voaches (longshot) are a nightmare to play against and some others are a piece of cake.

the coach makes a big difference

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic