NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 04:06 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Blitzer pigs are overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TomBOffline
Post subject: pro elf suggestions  PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 - 07:47 AM

Undisclosed
I played my first game last night using pro-elves, against orcs, and i will admit i completely got my ass handed to me.

I am using all the models from the box, so 1 thrower, 2 blitzers, 2 catchers and 7 linemen, 1 re-roll and 3 or 4 fan factor i think.

Having beat the very same orcs earlier this week (we arent using league rules, just one off tv100 games) with skaven i tried to pretty much use the same tactics, which was getting out of their tackle zones and picking off players from there cage systematically, while on offense working my way through the gaps.

It did all go wrong with some very unlucky blocks at the start knocked out 1 lineman and seriously injured another, and then they basically formed solid cage right in the centre of the pitch for 6 turns. I did manage using a nerves of steel catcher to get into a gap, blitz the orc thrower holding the ball, knock him out, manage to pick up the ball, and unfortunately fail my dodge roll trying to leave the cage. Id already used my re-roll getting into the cage, and realise how useful the dodge skill would be on these catchers. Because he was knocked down in the middle of the orc cage he was fouled the next turn by about 6 orcs and pretty much killed. luckily by the time the orcs recovered the ball they werent fast enough to score in this half so i managed to save some players by running away.

second half i received the ball, and on the first turn passed to a catcher, who had a blitzer make a hole for him and then he ran up the wide zone. Unluckily i thought the one orc who was in blitzing range managed to knock him over, the ball bounced out of the side of the pitch and into space in my half, which was picked up by an orc blitzer. I did manage to slow them down for a couple of turns but couldnt stop the scoring.

Losing 1-0 received again, this time i tried running the gaps with my thrower, with my 2 blitzers supporting making gaps. It didnt work as i was severly outnumbered and the orcs just pounded on me. the killed my thrower, picked up the ball, and scored a second time.

I will admit that i did have some very bad luck on dice roll's at the start of the game, and played most of it with 5 men either knocked out or seriously injured. I am not sure where my tactics went wrong, which is why i am asking for suggestions. I think i should have played more of a long passing game, just waiting for opportunities to come to me rather than me trying to force them.

Chrace Chargers

Reply with quote Back to top
katadderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 - 09:25 AM

Carterton, UK
well i would drop the extra lineman for another reroll to start. for one off games you can actually get 3 rerolls anyway as FF is pointless.

the pro-elves are a god passing team if fragile, even my throwers usually get completions in a game as rather than trying to dodge out of trouble if its too hard I will through the ball as nerves of steel is a great skill.

usually i concentrate on just one side of the pitch offensively with both blitzers leading the way down the sideline and being followed by the catchers and as many linemen I can get down there. if a blitzer gets hit sometimes its worth sending him further down the field with sidestep and then maybe throwing to him from your catchers for the TD.

the problem does arise when losing men due to armour 7 and trying to stop the opposing team. sometimes in defence its worth putting a blitzer or 2 on the front edge of a box as when they block your blitzer he can move into the box freely.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 - 10:37 AM

The Pro-Elves are a strong side, but they need to be handled with care, especially at the start, because of their fragility (AV7).

Unlike Wood Elves, they start with no Dodge skill. For that reason, it is a good idea to start with lots of team re-rolls. My preferred starting line-up is:

2 Blitzers
2 Catchers
1 Thrower
6 Linemen
3 Re-rolls

and I give Leader as the first skill advance to the Thrower, to make a total of 4 Re-rolls (which is quite special for an Elven team).

Although they are fragile, I suggest you attack the ball violently and immediately when defending. The Catchers make excellent Blitzers, suggested early skills are Dodge, Wrestle. Violent counter-attack works well - if you sit back, you will just get ground down as you lose players. The Blitzers make excellent and annoying Blockers - suggested early skills are Dodge, Fend (to re-inforce their starting skills).

Hope this helps.

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 07, 2009 - 11:37 AM

Undisclosed
i think i will take the advice on board next tie i use them i will drop a lineman and fan factor for the extra 2 re-rolls. im just worried this will still leave me lacking in the second half when have less players

Chrace Chargers

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 08, 2009 - 02:07 PM

Don't worry too much about player numbers at the start. It will take at least half a dozen games for your starting numbers to rise significantly above 11 (in my experience). That's just the price you pay for AV7.

On the upside, any journeymen you get make excellent cannon-fodder on the line of scrimmage, reducing injury to the core squad.

Cheers

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2009 - 02:32 PM

Undisclosed
I tried again this week, pro elves humans tr100, i dropped a lineman and fan factor to take 3 re-rolls.

the human team was 4 blitzers, 1 thrower, 2 catchers and 6 linemen, 2 re-rolls and 8 fan factor (i think although we never needed it)

it started fairly badly, i won the toss and chose to receive, he rolled blitz and managed to send one of my blitzers to the serious injury box before the game had even properly started. Now with an advantage on the line, and with my low armour and his seemingly perfect block dice rolls, he managed to take my team down to 5 men and scored on the first half. I set up on the second half seriously outnumbered and kicking, managing to have 4 players survive for my chance to receive after his second touchdown. Unsurprisingly i didnt score in the 2 turns i had left.

I have come up with a few conclusions.

1) nerves of steel isnt as good as dodge on the catchers, its all well and good catching a ball but not if youve still got to get through the opposing defensive setup
2) being as weak as skaven and slower is not good,
3) i have no idea how to use this team

I am keeping my players out of blocks and just letting them emit tackle zones, but as soon as i lose one or two players and become outnumbered by options seriously slow down, and without any players with dodge i struggle to break out.

i can see how in a league a few extra skills will boost pro-elves into a good team but really need advice for the one offs

Chrace Chargers

katadderOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 17, 2009 - 06:06 AM

Carterton, UK
ok your catchers dont come with dodge but they are STR3 which is a huge deal and more than makes up for it IMO, because of this if it comes to it dont be scared to block with them.

sound slike you had some real bad luck in that last game. for one offs using the biltzer as a ball carrier is a good option, sidestep and block help keep him on his feet and get you through the opposing line so even without dodge you can usually get away on a 2+ for a free run towards the end zone.

yes they are slower than skaven but every player is AG4. passing plays are great with this (and any elf) team as pretty much anyone can pass. if a catcher gets caught out then pass it, nerves of steel means you dont even need to leave your opponents tackle zone.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 - 01:08 PM

In my own playing experience, I would say that the Pro-Elves are one of the very best teams in the game.

Any AV7 team can go "pear shaped" once in a while (it can happen to Norse, for example). But don't let that deter you.

I find the Catchers very powerful and excellent value. They score very easily and reliably because of their ability to receive passes and hand-offs in tackle zones. With their superb stat-line of 8347 they make excellent blitzers, and have the added bonus of being able to catch the bouncing ball in the scrum after they have sacked the ball carrier. This happens quite often.

The Blitzers can be very annoying to play against, for example when they manage to put tackle zones on the opposing ball carrier. Or just as immovable obstacles in the line of defense, or in critical situations (such as last or penultimate turns).

One-off games at TV100 between "tier 1" teams are always close affairs, and can go either way..

One way of looking at Pro-Elves is as masters of the "surgical strike". Don't be shy to take risks in this direction.

Hope this helps.

TomBOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 18, 2009 - 02:31 PM

Undisclosed
thanks for all the advice again.

ive just played a successful game with my pro elves, 1-1 vs orcs who had 3 blitzers and 3 black orcs, and they only won 2-4 on casualties.

i made the most of my catcher, using his nerves of steel to catch while marked in the opposing half and run in for a score, and a blitz by a catcher nearly stopped the orcs scoring (they dropped the ball, but my attempt to pic up failed, and in their turn they flattened my entire team, picked up the ball and ran in)

I also made the most of my blitzers sidestep, putting him into good tackle zone positions around the orcs cage, and although they were risking their lives they completely stopped the orcs moving quickly. If it wasnt for the S4 black orcs always being right where i didnt want them i may have even forced a turnover.

And the great thing, i actually nearly won on my 7th turn, failing a 2+ catch roll with a lineman, who could then have just walked 4 squares for a TD. oh well. At least i know i can do it again, and my pro elves arent so much the laughing stock that they were. Im glad i gave them another chance.

The only bad luck i had was rolling my injury rolls, despite not failing too many armour rolls half of my injury rolls put my players out of the game, then again if i had some good luck i might have scored again!

Chrace Chargers

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 19, 2009 - 12:32 PM

Well done, TomB. Good boy.

SierraKiloBravoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 21, 2009 - 08:24 AM

Dublin CA
I started my pro elf team purposely without catchers. My rationale was that they would take the lion's share of the scoring / ball-handling SPPs by the time they showed up, so I wanted to have linemen with a few skills first. I also figured the AV7 would result in a lot of attrition. So, I went with 2 blitzers, 10 linemen, 3 RR and FF3. It worked pretty well for me. This roster forced me to be fluid with the ball in the beginning and spread the ball around evenly. I blitzed with the blitzers of course and scored with them when available, but then again, I scored with whomever was easily available early on. With a catcher or two, I knew I would have tunnel vision with them when it came to scoring, so I left them out. You also do have to be very careful about leaving opponents marked, following up blocks, that sort of thing. Assume any player left in an opposing TZ is going to get hurt.

I also took them because I was in a developed league and I really like their star player options.

Anyway, that my $.02.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic