NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 04:53 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Elfheim Eagles in doping scandal. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SquiggothOffline
Post subject: Orcs and tactics?!?  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 06:30 AM

Hurrah!

The very first post on the tactics forum is mine!!!
Well... I was wondering wether any of you guys have ever managed to take an Orc team to a BB championship and win, and if so, then HOW?!? Embarassed
cheers,

Martijn

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
Reply with quote Back to top
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 08:47 AM

Toronto, ON
I've never seen a win, but I've seen a lot of second places. Right John? Wink

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

Da_TodfathaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 07:37 PM

Dern you Anthony, I've taken my boyz to a second place finish as well...Though the final did come down to the wire too! Maybe next time.

Orcs are a great team. Dead 'ard too! and they are balanced despite what you'll hear. Laughing

SixpackOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 10:51 PM

Right now I'm 3-4 with my Orcs, but on the bright side my Casulties F/A are 17/4. I feel your best offence is a good defence. Kill them before they score.

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 12:49 AM

Toronto, ON
      Quote:

Dern you Anthony, I've taken my boyz to a second place finish as well...

Don't get the impression that had anything to do with it Wink Well I suppose losing both my games against him helped a bit...

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 01:25 AM

Well, at my gaming club I'm top of the pool - just below Stefan with his bloody stupid Norse (AV 7 is impregnable you know...) but at the Dutch open I played 5 games and lost 4 (the 1st game was a draw). My precious Orcses were dealing out loads of damage (also to themselves - curse Throw Team-Mate!!!) but the whole concept of picking up the ball and transporting it to the endzone was only understood twice (once by a Goblin and the 2nd time by my Ogre Shocked ).
By the way, I'm not saying that Orcs are unbalanced - they're one of the hippest teams around, it's just that there's nothing that they really excel in (apart from bashing Wardancers that is...)

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
McSnagaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 04:41 AM

England
I'm taking Orcs to The Blood Bowl. Reasons?
I like the Orc/Goblin ethos: Anyone remember the old WH40k picture with the orc trying to understand why a bolt gun wouldn't work and there was a cable leading from it with a 3 pin mains plug on the end? Sadly GW erased the lead/plug in later prints .. but it captures BB orcs wonderfully IMHO.
I got fed up with my Skaven (who I love playing) getting mashed and fancied a change.
I fancied playing a bit of destructive Blood Bowl (Rather than 'Dodgy' BB).
I wanted to paint a new metal team I didn't already have.

I came up with a roster I am very happy with. Sure they forget about the ball a bit .. but more than make that up with punch.

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 04:59 AM

Skaven getting mashed? I remember playing against Paul Geggs, whose Skaven are invulnerable (I injured ONE rat during the match!)...
Stupid furry rat-things, yesssss....

McSnagaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 05:34 AM

England
Odd isn't it?
They went years without a scratch (well almost) .. won my last mini tournament with embarassing ease .. but I had to retire them from my league as they got decimated 4 games in a row.
They'll come back .. but for the moment nothing beats the pleasure of having AV9 almost across the board Twisted Evil

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 05:41 AM
Former President

England
      Squiggoth wrote:
My precious Orcses were dealing out loads of damage (also to themselves - curse Throw Team-Mate!!!)

My Orcs managed 4 cas. all tournament... Sad
I did throw the Gobbo for a one turner though! Very Happy

Awesome team BTW, congrats on Best Painted.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 06:20 AM
Da Warboss

England
I reckon the TTM tactic works pretty well for orcs, and against an unprepared opponent can be used very effectively to nick a win in the dying seconds (although true, it can fall flat on it's face!!)

imagine it though - it's 3 - 3 and you have one turn to score. your opponent forgets about TTM and you lob the gobbo into a comfortable area of the opponents half and then go on to score...

NAF #60

MarcusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 10:36 AM

I won the WPS Club Challenge BB event with Orcs.

Um, what can I tell you, I played well Confused
Sorry to sound flippant but how else do you answer the question "how do you win?" There's no tricks to it, no cheat codes, and no one gameplan that works.

Some basic gameplay tips:

- Normal rules of controlling the pace of the match apply.
- Use blitzers and keep them mobile. The game is won on TDs, not casualties, don't make the common mistake of thinking that the way to win is beat everything to a pulp.
- Use your blocking strength and your high AV to make blocks to control areas of the pitch, not to hunt for casualties. Think of your team like an army front line, keep them in a front and push your opponent where you want them, don't just fragment your players and go randomly hunting.
- Be prepared to do something unexepcted and outrageous when necessary.

Marcus

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 10:47 AM

Deathwing wrote:
      Squiggoth wrote:
My precious Orcses were dealing out loads of damage (also to themselves - curse Throw Team-Mate!!!)

My Orcs managed 4 cas. all tournament... Sad
I did throw the Gobbo for a one turner though! Very Happy

Awesome team BTW, congrats on Best Painted.

Thanks! And mine killed 11 (well, I had to play against 2 Human teams Twisted Evil ). I guess I should have taken an High Elf Coach ("No no no, darkly green sir, you don't want to pummel these humans, you want to pick up that inflated pig's bladder - yes, I know it's very icky but so is poking your finger in that peasant's eyeball - and carry it across that shiny white line over there - see? ...By the way, is everybody in for some nice, hot tea?")

Indigo wrote:
imagine it though - it's 3 - 3

Imagine that indeed... Would that be against sleeping Halflings? Wink
Come to think of it, I have pulled of a few 3-0 victories with Da Boyz in the past... Just HOW did I do THAT?!?!? Rolling Eyes
But TTM is indeed a mighty ploy, as long as you don't expect to actually win the match with it - if your opponent expects it he usually just has to leave 1 or 2 Linemen behind to wreck the brave little Gobbo's pretty features. It can be used to give your nasty, wicked, evil rival coach a nasty shock, though Twisted Evil

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 10:50 AM

Marcus wrote:
I won the WPS Club Challenge BB event with Orcs.

Um, what can I tell you, I played well Confused
Sorry to sound flippant but how else do you answer the question "how do you win?" There's no tricks to it, no cheat codes, and no one gameplan that works.

Some basic gameplay tips:

- Normal rules of controlling the pace of the match apply.
- Use blitzers and keep them mobile. The game is won on TDs, not casualties, don't make the common mistake of thinking that the way to win is beat everything to a pulp.
- Use your blocking strength and your high AV to make blocks to control areas of the pitch, not to hunt for casualties. Think of your team like an army front line, keep them in a front and push your opponent where you want them, don't just fragment your players and go randomly hunting.
- Be prepared to do something unexepcted and outrageous when necessary.

Marcus

Hmmmz... I reckognize all those "Don't do..." things as my own "Good Orcy Taktikz" Smile
Next year, Geggster, next year... Muwahahahahaha! (that was supposed to sound evil...)

MarcusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 10:54 AM

Oh, you won't beat Geggster. He's an ECBBL player and one of our best. Also a Skaven coach, and we ECBBL Skaven coaches are fearsome....

Marcus

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic