NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 09:31 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Hip! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
aerofoolOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 09, 2004 - 08:06 AM

United States
      ponkavitch wrote:
As to Grasshopper's question I varnished them all with copius amounts of Citadel Clear Varnish and they are still constantly chipping epecialy on the beastmen where they get picked up. and the

I've found that the Citadel Varnish works better to make parts of the model glossy, but not as a paint job protectant. I'm not sure if it's because it's water based or just runs too thin. I would suggest getting a can of minwax oil-based clear matte poly, and dip your models. You can also get it in aerosol spray, but make sure you put a fairly thick coat on it.

triplepow.com

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 10:07 AM

I use Folkart Matte varnish, it's totally matte (REALLY totally matte as in "no shine at all") and flexible when fry, meaning that the varnish won't chip if the model gets bend slightly (especially handy for plastics off course).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
AmokOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 11:47 AM

Netherlands
I also use a matt varnish (humbroll) it really is a myracle. no shining at all
it even works over glossy varnish

For the models GREAT, though I think that the chaos warrior stands as if he was experimenting with kinky toys last night Shocked , but it's still a great team to look at.

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 12:08 PM

Germany
Great job....I like the CW (or is it Borak?) the best....How do you get the shading and highlighting that smooth??

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 01:34 PM

United States of America
I probably should star varnishing more. Right now I only really do it on things I want to shine Embarassed

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

KLKOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2004 - 10:27 PM

Colombia
this is one of the best chaos teams I ever seen.

ponkavitchOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2004 - 12:22 AM

Thanks for all the praise and sugestions I will look into them.

I have now shrunk the pics so they should be faster.

As for the comments on the CW with the claw. He was converted from a Chaos knight. I thuoght the spred leg pose was nice and bloodbowly so I chopped off his lance arm and built a claw out of paper clips (good for all pin joints and bases of extenstions), extended his neck a bit (I can't remember why now) and aded to the base of his heels so they reached the ground.
The ogre was made by getting a 40K ogrin (since at the time you could not get fantasy ogres) chopping off his gun and replacing it with the arm sword from Tyrus the Inquisitor model then wrapping the realy bad join in twine then covering it in superglue. easy.

The way I got the shading so smooth is by a trick I call "wet drybrushing". I know that sound stupid but what I do is wet down some paint then drybrush it on so it adds very thin layers so you can make nice gradual transistion. Play around with it.

-chris

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2004 - 01:11 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
      aerofool wrote:
      ponkavitch wrote:
As to Grasshopper's question I varnished them all with copius amounts of Citadel Clear Varnish and they are still constantly chipping epecialy on the beastmen where they get picked up. and the

I've found that the Citadel Varnish works better to make parts of the model glossy, but not as a paint job protectant. I'm not sure if it's because it's water based or just runs too thin. I would suggest getting a can of minwax oil-based clear matte poly, and dip your models. You can also get it in aerosol spray, but make sure you put a fairly thick coat on it.

Do you just dunk your models in for a second and pull them out to dry? I'm always afraid to varnish after i've spent so much time painting figures, but I really need to I guess. This sounds pretty controled which I would prefer. could you brush it on as well?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic