NAF Logo
leftstar May 03, 2024 - 08:59 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The Orc team is overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
IndigoOffline
Post subject: [House Rulez] Blood Bowl XLIII rules previewed on HR site  PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:01 AM
Da Warboss

England
www.house-rulez.com

HR has managed to get an exclusive preview of the rules for this year's Blood Bowl - check the news story out on the site and discuss them here.

Shame about star players - the GenCon system would have been better.

Also, the sportsmanship points system is a little confusing, so I'm trying to clarify it.

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:18 AM

Sweden
Only 60% on actually playing the games? interesting to see if someone with a bunch of wins loses to - for example - Longfang based on painting or a nerd like me, you and the ECBBL boys (2003 quiz winners) on knowledge. Surprise surprise, that game result points system seems an improvement over last year to me.

7 points for BASING A TEAM?????? Is that full points for just flock or do I have to learn how to do other stuff?

What on earth is that Team Selection stuff about? looks like a leftover from 40k to me. Themed must mean "did you rip off an NFL team (who...me? :p), have you done something cool to tie the team together - like Venemous Breath's sombrero dudes, do you have custom markers (thank God I painted some up), whatever."

Stars double? would have preferred none at all. Is a Luthored necro team possible?

Last edited by Thadrin on Feb 10, 2004 - 03:05 AM; edited 1 time in total

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:29 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
That looks like a bollocks scoring system to me. Someone has just taken a WFB tourney system and converted it to BB.

Also the scoring system doesn't add up.

At least they've nerfed stars (sorry gobbos).

Last edited by Doubleskulls on Feb 10, 2004 - 02:35 AM; edited 1 time in total

AncalagonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 02:29 AM

I think those rules are good but confusing, and... exam in english of course... :-S

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 03:39 AM
Da Warboss

England
yeah, I thought that...

NAF #60

Dan_TitanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 04:24 AM

Norway
well lets see how it works....
i start to study the lrb today....

TojurubOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 07:40 AM

Germany
I don't like that winning by 3,2,1 stuff....1 and 2+ should have been sufficient...How often do you see a dwarf team win by 3 and more TD?...I guess I'm not taking my dwarves then

What are the criteria for "Themed"...What does that "What You See Is What You Get" mean?...I mean come on, everybody knows that a thrower has to look somewhat like a thrower and a halfling should't be the size of an Ogre...that looks like easy points....or makes the people who use converted teams being afraid to loose points.

Also...the skill & casualty system from last year? I wasn't there last year...is it the same as the one from Chaos Cup, one skill after each game?

[edit] is it LRB 2.0 with the BBRC additions or is there going to be a new LRB 3.0 available soon?....I mean for the quiz [/edit]

2nd place Royal RumBBL 2015 and White Star Cup 2016
.....and now Ex-Vize-Prez

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 08:32 AM
Da Warboss

England
It'll be LRB 3 and from what I gather the quiz is based strictly on the LRB.
Skill & CAS is the same as the Chaos Cup - one skill after each game and all injuries are reset at each round.

NAF #60

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 12:06 PM

Toronto, ON
Hrmm... can't say I like this system. The points for winning are unfair to a lot of teams, the painting points don't make sense either. I don't think basing should count for the same amount as painting. I think squad markings should be rolled into the painting score as well, that is totally personal preference IMO.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

LouisXOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 10, 2004 - 12:26 PM

Undisclosed

What happens if you cheat at the test ? Do teachers punish you Wink

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 01:44 AM
Da Warboss

England
you get caned Wink

NAF #60

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 05:27 AM

England
Personally I think it's excelent. The BB cup winner will be the person who wins most on the field, and the league winner will be the person who scores most highly on all the aspects of the hobby. (I assume they are doing the cup and league in the same way as last year.)

The scoring system should not be much of a problem. Yes fast teams are perhaps more likely to achieve those 20 points wins, but I think that more marginal wins will be much more common. Especially as all these teams will play each other in round 2. It also gives us more conservative bashy team coaches a reason to push for more than just the traditional 2-1 victory.

As for the painting, I would prefer there to be points for painting, basing, squad marking, wow factor, and shading and highlighting. The 3 we've got are ok though, and yes, painting the model should definitely be scored separately from basing it.

Think of team selection as easy marks. Everyone should get WYSIWYG just for turning up with the correct team. I guess it's just to encourage people not to use odd models to represent players they don't have. (I've seen Warhammer Ghouls used as Zombies for example, with BB Ghouls as Ghouls. Fine in a league, if sometimes a little confusing, but not so good at a tournament).
I imagine theming is as simple as naming your team and your players. Perhaps writing a little bit of team history. Maybe having a coherent team paint job and a head coach figure as well.

AncalagonOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 05:41 AM

ermmm I just hope I can have the test on paper, because my english is not good enough to understan everything on a conversation, so imagine listening something through micro...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 06:15 AM

England
The test will be on paper, well the 40k ones are anyway.

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2004 - 10:16 AM
Da Warboss

England
What has angered most people is the fact that it appears little or no thought has been put into the biggest BB tournament ever, and that recycled 40k rules are good enough. They've done a simple find/replace, with army being replaced by team. There are still references to "forces" in there, a term which is NOT used in BB.

WYSIWYG is also obviously straight out of 40k, when people would equip a regular marine holding a bolter with a lascannon or whatever. Although someone could convert a lineman to be holding a chainsaw, since you can't have chainsaws anyone the only advantage would be to have an interesting characteful conversion, but one that loses out because it's not WYSIWYG. It's stupid.

Although basing finishes a good model, it's nowhere near as important as the paint job. Saying that a base is as worthy of as many points as a model is ridiculous. It should be a requirement that the model is based with sand or flock and that's it. Not a sliding scale of 1 -7. Let people who take more time to do better bases stand a bigger chance of winning best painted, not simply for getting more points each round - remember painting and basing is judged by your opponent for each round, not once like last year.

Themes - does that mean my xmas goblin team should score more points than a normal goblin team that is simply well painted in nice colours? So we're now all required to come up with some wacky overriding theme rather than simply a common uniform?

We MUST write 200 words minimum, according to the rules, or we lose points. Also, since it says that a head coach model is not needed to argue the call, it implies that one is not needed for theming purposes.

The system as it stands is too open to interpretation and abuse from powergaming d*ckheads who will give opponents lower scores so it helps them get further.

Not to mention the quiz. 40k tourneys are commonplace and more often than not are attended by native speakers only. The one BB tourney GW runs has about 45% foreign attendance, and to give a quiz is effectively saying "give the brits an extra 10% for their nationality!"

It's stupid. Don't get me started on the match scoring system either. Evil or Very Mad

I'm playing humans like last year and will be going to have a laugh, mainly in bugmans. If I've won all my games, my painting has been fairly judged, my bases are appreciated, my team fluff (all 600 words of it) has been read, my clear and legible team sheet appraised and I've managed to memorise enough of the LRB, THEN I might starting thinking about winning something.

NAF #60

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic