NAF Logo
leftstar May 04, 2024 - 08:19 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Nuffle is a Blackshirt rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 04:26 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Can we pettion the events teams in charge of all the majors and get them to cooperate with the NAF on rules, and in some cases find NAFers that are willing to run the tournament in place of people who don't care about BloodBowl. I would love to see the NAF have an active role in the four major tournaments.

Reply with quote Back to top
AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 07:06 PM

Toronto, ON
Just like any other tournament, it's up to the organizers how they run it. We can always help with advice though.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2004 - 08:10 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
I think they have proven they need more then advice they need to step aside and let someone who knows the game organize things.

TimOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 01:24 AM

Germany
      Tojurub wrote:
      Tim wrote:
As long as the ruleset does not explicitly state that the background has to be written in English, i'll be a rules lawyer and write it in German.

you stole my idea Wink

OK, you do it in German, i just had a better idea ... if i bring my Chaos Dwarfs, i'll stay truely babylonian and have my girl friend write it in Persian Twisted Evil If i bring Norse, i'll ask Thads to translate it to swedish (or use babelfish, who cares). If i bring something else ... we'll see.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 02:45 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Sad Ah well I'm resigned to the ruleset now.

Very Happy At least I was planning on taking Elves anyway.

Hopefully, but kicking up a stink this year about the lack on consultation we might have some influence next year...

GeggsterOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 03:15 AM
NAF Treasurer

Xtreme wrote:
... and in some cases find NAFers that are willing to run the tournament in place of people who don't care about BloodBowl.

I think they have proven they need more then advice they need to step aside and let someone who knows the game organize things.

I think those remarks are totally unnecessary.

It may not be the rule-set we were expecting but to suggest that the organisers just don't care about Bloodbowl is not fair in my opinion.

We are never going to have a tournament where the rules are going to make everyone happy. Does everyone remember the fuss last year? (with Star Players normal cost and draw/lose by one giving some result). These new rules are going to make the actual games more enjoyable as you won't have to face game-breaking stars.

These rules are different and once everyone has got over the "I don't like changes" (which includes me), I think we will see a tournament full of correct miniatures; painted, based and numbered; played sportingly and the winner will probably have the best TD difference of the 6-time winners.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 03:48 AM

England
I agree with Geggster, some of the comments have been a little vicious and somewhat unfair. We're stuck with these rules, so lets all make a big effort to make the event as enjoyable as possible (despite the rules, if that is your opinion Wink ) and try to cut down on the apocalyptic language(or girlie whimpering).

Tim, Norse should be translated into Norwegian please. Rolling Eyes

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2004 - 04:12 AM

Sweden
      Mordredd wrote:

Tim, Norse should be translated into Norwegian please. Rolling Eyes

Icelandic would be better due to its closeness to Norse...and my written swedish is dreadful. Norwegian and Swedish are more like two dialects of the same language anywy. If a norwegian speaks slowly enough I have no trouble understanding them. They usually don't bother subtitling them on TV over here.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2004 - 01:22 PM

England
      Quote:
Norwegian and Swedish are more like two dialects of the same language anywy.

I think my Norwegian cousins would argue with that. In any case Norwegian is closer to Danish than Swedish, although all three can understand each other.

Icelandic may be closer to Old Norse (I don't know), but the Norsemen of the Viking era came from Norway, and the Norwegians still call themselves Norse. To my mind this makes Norwegian more appropriate.

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2004 - 02:16 AM

Sweden
      Mordredd wrote:
      Quote:
Norwegian and Swedish are more like two dialects of the same language anywy.

I think my Norwegian cousins would argue with that. In any case Norwegian is closer to Danish than Swedish, although all three can understand each other.

Icelandic may be closer to Old Norse (I don't know), but the Norsemen of the Viking era came from Norway, and the Norwegians still call themselves Norse. To my mind this makes Norwegian more appropriate.

I can understand Norwegian. I can't understand Danish at all.
Most of the words in Norwegian are shared with Swedish, with very few variations. Bear in mind that Norway and Sweden were the same country up until 100 years ago (I think next year is the centenary of Norway's independence).

However: I am told that there are two versions of Norwegian, one of which is more like Danish, dating back to the days when Norway and Denmark were one country (confused yet?). SO it depends where in Norway your relatives are from.

In general though Norwegian IS more like Swedish.

The Vikings came from all over Scandinavia. The Vikings in the Novel "Röde Orm" come from the Blekinge region, in the south of modern Sweden (in those days it would have been Denmark). The fact remains that Icelandic is the language that has changed least in the last 1000 years, and is thus far closer to the language that actual vikings would have spoken than modern Norwegian.

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2004 - 08:44 AM

England
NO, there's no confusion. Norway was part of Denmark from 1397 until 1814 when it was ceded to Sweden. Independence from Sweden was gained in 1905. Incidentally, my relatives are from Oslo and Telemark.

I too have been told that there are two types of Norwegian, however when I asked my cousins about this I was told definitely no. Similarly I was told that Danish and Norwegian are essentially the same language (same words, grammar etc) but that the pronunciation is different. I was also told that it is easier for Norwegians and Danes to speak in English to each other than for the Norwegians to try to get the Danes to slow down their speech enough for the Norwegians to identify the individual words. (Maybe that is your problem? I certainly know many Swedes who understand Danish well enough.)

I have also heard that there was a movement to make a unique Norwegian language, that was basically not Swedish or Danish, and that this new language was taught in schools for some time but I'm not sure how widely it took hold.

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2004 - 10:34 AM

Sweden
Apparently Oslo is in the "Danish-Norwegian" region.

Maybe its just the accent that makes Danish so hard to understand - there are certainly similarities between Swedish and Danish, they're just hard to pick out. If you know Swedes who have no problem with Danish I'd guess that they come from southern Sweden, around Skåne and Blekinge. Lots of people have trouble understanding the way people from that area speak Swedish. We have a girl at work from Malmö...I can barely understand a word she says (not helped by the fact that she has some sort of hearing problem).

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 07:16 PM
Former President

England
      AnthonyTBBF wrote:

Anyway, I can understand why they are only offering the event materials in English. However, I think the NAF can help out people who speak other languages by organizing translations for those who don't speak English as a first language. I'm proposing we get a group of volunteers together that can help translate team background write-ups into English.

Any volunteers? I don't speak any other languages but I can help organize things if need be.

I can help with English to US 'English'. (Edited: Mistakenly included Canada origionally)

Armour is spelt with a u.
Razz

Last edited by Deathwing on Mar 02, 2004 - 09:56 PM; edited 1 time in total

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 09:32 PM

Don't stick Canucks in with Yanks (and we won't stick Irish in with English). We all know the Yanks can't spell, Canadian spelling is the same as spelling in England (we spell colour and armour with a u). Wink

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 09:53 PM
Former President

England
I'm suitably chastised and will edit post. Apologies. Smile
Maybe you should edit 'Yanks' too before those south of the Mason-Dixon line take offence. The 'yanks' are just the guys in the middle, right? Razz

(All tongue in cheek and meant in good humour (note the u!) gentlemen.) Smile

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic