NAF Logo
leftstar May 19, 2024 - 11:59 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
The few. The proud. The three on the line. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do physical traits (Mutations) need some correction?
No change needed, mutations work fine as they are
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Yes, beef up some of the weaker mutations
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Yes, turn weaker mutations into physical skills
47%
 47%  [ 11 ]
Yes, make mutations random so all get picked
17%
 17%  [ 4 ]
Yes, but something else should be done (explain)
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

NarkoticOffline
Post subject: Do physical traits (Mutations) need some correction?  PostPosted: Mar 25, 2004 - 06:14 AM

I thought of running this poll and hope for some feedback from BBRC members as well because unfortunately the question concerning weak mutations wasn't addressed in the last Rules Review.

I think there is consent that some mutations are quite weak, being proven by the fact that they are never chosen and with the double required to pick up a weak mutation you're better of with either a normal trait, a skill from a category you don't have access to normally or one of the speed/injury/armour modifying mutations.

I consider Extra arms, Two Heads, Thick Skull, Prehensile Tail, Tentacles and Spikes weaker than the rest. This might be arguable, of course and couldbe spcified later.

There three approachs to even out this inbalance that come to my mind:

a) make weaker physical traits more powerful

b) turn weaker physical traits into skill so players eligible for physicals can chose them on anormal skill roll

c) make mutations random, so the weaker physical traits will also be distributed among players.

You could also deny Minos and Rat Ogres access to mutations to bring them in line.

What do you think?

Reply with quote Back to top
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2004 - 06:40 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

My league went for option B to be honest.

However our list for what became skills includes only a few on your list.

Spikes was renamed Toughness was added as a Strength trait.

Thick Skull we moved to a Strength skill.

Extra Arms we moved to a Physical skill.

The rest we left unchanged.

Galak

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 28, 2004 - 05:22 PM

I voted for A.

The reason: so-called "weaker" mutations are (very) strong IN CONTEXT.

For example: high ST player with Break Tackle AND Two Heads.

Another example: a high ST player with Stand Firm AND Tentacles.

In the first example, Two Heads might be taken on the first doubles roll. No doubt other examples could be found.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2004 - 04:19 AM

In theory you are right:

but the only player that qualify for Mutataions that have higher ST are Chaos Warriors, Minos and Rat Ogres.

I'm pretty sure that 95% of all Chaos/Skaven coaches will give their BG either Pro or Claw/RSF on a double and not stand firm. Frankly a Tentacle/Stand Firm BG is far less brutal than a Block/RSF BG.

It's the same for Chaos Warriors: picking tentacles as a skill will prevent him taking Block, taking stand firm will prevent him from taking dodge. Once again, a Blodge CW is far more brutal than a tentacle/stand firm one. And even if you want to turn your CW into a ball handler/runner type, sure hands would be the first choice, not extra arms. And on a double definitely not extra arms as well, you would rather take extra long legs...

AramilOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2004 - 05:53 AM

Undisclosed
I voted
      Quote:
Yes, turn weaker mutations into physical skills

but I'm in line with that only if it's clearly written in the rules that ONLY players with acces to physicals can take them.

I don't want to see a wood elf with an extra arm or a human with tentacles

I totally agree that some changes have to be made in order to make some abilities interesting, also becouse I'm seeing everybody chosing only Claw/Fangs here in Italy, and that's boring! Sad

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 29, 2004 - 06:25 AM

I think that is a must that if we ever see "physical skills" that these must be exclusive for Skaven/Chaos/Nurgle and any future team eligible for mutations only.

I even would go further and exclude Minos and Rat Ogres from mutations, I never understood why they can mutate. With the new WA they are as good as an Ogre and really don't need the extra beef from mutations that will eventually make them superior to other big guys...

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 02, 2004 - 07:24 PM

I agree with Smeborg. Most of the mutations are very good in the right context (the only exception being extra arms). And to reply to Narcotic's counterpoint, with the current wild animal (4+ for anything but blocks), i'd take stand firm, tentacles and prehensile tail on minotaurs and rat ogres over claw or razor sharp claw any day of the week.

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 - 06:29 AM

P.S.: the most recent WA which will make it into LRB is 4+ for everything except Blocks and Blitzes so you can move them around as Ogres if you're willing to forfeit your Blitz.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 - 11:27 AM

Well, i won't account for that until it's official. Anything can happen until then and it may never even see the light of day.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 - 12:26 PM

Undisclosed
Supposedly, it will be made official in the LRB 3.0 (which is late as the original document's been lost, so Jakes having to re-do it from scratch).

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 03, 2004 - 12:59 PM

I know, i've heard that too. But i won't account for it in strategy talk until i see it. You never know what can happen with those guys who make the rules. Remember Andy and his "minor modifications" last year?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic