NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 05:57 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Astro-granite helps break strong bones 12 ways. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
liviathOffline
Post subject: I want an official ruling  PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 12:50 PM

I am involved in a big discussion about using Strong Arm on a Dump Off. I think since all Short Passes are treated as Quick Passes, a player with Strong Arm can Dump Off further than others. I want to here an official opinion. If you disagree then I will elaborate more on why I am right.

Reply with quote Back to top
GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 12:55 PM

You can't use strong arm on dump off. Dump off allows you to throw a quick pass. Strong arm allows you to take the range down by one band. Since quick pass is the shortest band you can't reduce it by anything, which therefore means that strong arm can't be used. While I am not in the BBRC, I believe thats the answer you will get as this has been covered on talkbloodbowl ;]

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 01:11 PM
Former President

England
Oh no....this is following me....
Chet posted on this on the GW forum. You have an answer from a BBRC member, don't quite see where you're going to get an any more official answer than that outside of JJ himself.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 01:33 PM

In some ways, it could be said that the BRCC is more offical than Jervis or Andy.

-Oscar Wilde

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 05:44 PM

Undisclosed
Might be worth getting all the BBRC FAQ's from TBB posted up here?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 11, 2003 - 05:45 PM

"If you ask frequently enough, the chance will increase that you will receive an answer which suits you."

Smile

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 02:14 AM

As a GW employee I say You Can't Use Strong Arm on a Dump Off... Does that count as official then?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
McSnagaOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 04:45 AM

England
As an ex-GW employee I say 'No' too. And if that's not official I don't know what is Wink

SquiggothOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 05:42 AM

If it's not official, it's unofficial Wink Razz

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
MiloOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 07:25 AM

Switzerland
I have to second Chet's opinion -- Strong Arm does not allow you to Dump Off further than you normally can.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
LongshotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 08:12 AM

Same answer as above...NO, you can't.
Dont elaborate anything please.
Milo answered officialy.

liviathOffline
Post subject: OK here comes my reasoning  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 08:31 AM

There are many reasons why this should work under the way the rules are written. f it is not supposed to work than the rules need to be rewritten. I suggest changing the Dump Off to say "any player up to 3 squares". No way to argue how far you can throw then.

Now for the reasons it should be allowed.
1. Dump Off states you are allowed to throw a Quick Pass worked out as a normal pass action. Strong Arm states that you reduce the range of a pass by one band. Therefore, "a long pass is treated as a short pass", or in our case a short pass is treated as a quick pass. So what was a short pass is now called a quick pass which meets the criteria of a dump off.

2. This ties in with the first point. All the actions in Bloodbowl have the same procedure: declare, modify, roll the result. In a block, for example, you first declare the block. Then you may modify your ST with skills. If you roll a successful dauntless roll against an ogre your ST is then treated as 5. AFTER that, then you compare ST to determine the number of block dice used. A pass action works the same way. You first declare the pass. You may measure to any square you like. Strong Arm allows you to modify the range ruler itself making a short pass now a quick pass. Then you look up the modifiers to the roll and toss the die. I should think that if you are using the "+1 for a Quick Pass" modifier, the pass itself is considered a quick pass.

3. Not being able to use strong arm makes this trait inferior to accurate and usually traits are better than skills. It is made inferior because accurate gives a +1 on all throws, while strong arm gives you +1 only on 3 of the 4 types a passes. Not being able to use strong arm also reduces it to just being another form of the accurate skill. If all it does is give you +1 to throwing, then strong arm and accurate are nothing more than "stackable" modifiers. It would seem dumb to have this since you are not allowed to add together modifiers with any other skills (such as claw and mighty blow).

4. Common sense states that a strong arm = a strong toss. If a long pass is nothing but a short one to you, then wouldn't it make sense that lobbing it a few extra squares is just as easy?

I will just restate what I said above. If these two skills are now allowed to work together, it should be stated in the skill. Just as multiple block says it doesn't work with frenzy. However, I think the skills should be allowed to be used together. It only makes sense, and with Strong Arm being a trait, it won't happen that often. Is there any good reason why they should not be used together? Other than the "because we said so" excuse?

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 08:54 AM

You delcared a dump off which is just a quick pass. You can't use strong arm to make a quick pass throw at short pass range, that would be increasing the range, not decreasing the morifcation.

Besides both chet and milo have both said you can't use it and seeing as they are both in BBRC who decide on the rules, you can't get more official than that. Clearest thing to do would just put strong arm can't be used with dump off in the dump off description.

Jon

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 08:56 AM
Former President

England
By applying that logic I'm guessing that you believe Strong Arm allows you to throw a Long Pass in a blizzard? It doesn't.
I guess it could do with better wording. I've seen this come up a few times now.

MiloOffline
Post subject: Re: OK here comes my reasoning  PostPosted: Feb 12, 2003 - 09:00 AM

Switzerland
      liviath wrote:
There are many reasons why this should work under the way the rules are written. f it is not supposed to work than the rules need to be rewritten. I suggest changing the Dump Off to say "any player up to 3 squares". No way to argue how far you can throw then.

That would be a reasonable way to rewrite it. I'll try to remember to put it up for discussion in the next rules review.

liviath wrote:
Now for the reasons it should be allowed.
1. Dump Off states you are allowed to throw a Quick Pass worked out as a normal pass action. Strong Arm states that you reduce the range of a pass by one band. Therefore, "a long pass is treated as a short pass", or in our case a short pass is treated as a quick pass. So what was a short pass is now called a quick pass which meets the criteria of a dump off.

If I treat you like family, or a close relative, does that necessarily make you family or a close relative? A Quick Pass is a Quick Pass, just as my brother is my brother. Treating a good friend like my brother does not genetically intertwine us, or make us members of the same household.

liviath wrote:
2. This ties in with the first point. All the actions in Bloodbowl have the same procedure: declare, modify, roll the result. In a block, for example, you first declare the block. Then you may modify your ST with skills. If you roll a successful dauntless roll against an ogre your ST is then treated as 5. AFTER that, then you compare ST to determine the number of block dice used. A pass action works the same way. You first declare the pass. You may measure to any square you like. Strong Arm allows you to modify the range ruler itself making a short pass now a quick pass. Then you look up the modifiers to the roll and toss the die. I should think that if you are using the "+1 for a Quick Pass" modifier, the pass itself is considered a quick pass.

Strong Arm allows you to reduce the modifiers applied against the dice. It does not, however, alter the number of squares the ball travels, does it? Strong Arm doesn't actually reduce the distance -- it simply affects the difficulty of throwing the ball that distance.

liviath wrote:
3. Not being able to use strong arm makes this trait inferior to accurate and usually traits are better than skills. It is made inferior because accurate gives a +1 on all throws, while strong arm gives you +1 only on 3 of the 4 types a passes. Not being able to use strong arm also reduces it to just being another form of the accurate skill. If all it does is give you +1 to throwing, then strong arm and accurate are nothing more than "stackable" modifiers. It would seem dumb to have this since you are not allowed to add together modifiers with any other skills (such as claw and mighty blow).

Strong Arm is a trait to ensure that only dedicated Thrower players can get BOTH Accurate and Strong Arm, making a Thrower uniquely better than a player of the same race when it comes to throwing the ball. In other words, you can't develop a Lineman into the same quality thrower that you can a Thrower, regardless of the number of doubles rolls you throw when rolling for skills.

liviath wrote:
4. Common sense states that a strong arm = a strong toss. If a long pass is nothing but a short one to you, then wouldn't it make sense that lobbing it a few extra squares is just as easy?

That's true if we're just talking about distance, but the whole idea of Dump Off is that it allows you to interrupt a blitz to get rid of the ball. It stands to reason that a Thrower wouldn't have as much time to set his feet and chuck the ball under those conditions. The Quick Pass restriction represents the fact that the Thrower is just desperately chucking the ball away before he gets sacked.

liviath wrote:
I will just restate what I said above. If these two skills are not allowed to work together, it should be stated in the skill. Just as multiple block says it doesn't work with frenzy. However, I think the skills should be allowed to be used together. It only makes sense, and with Strong Arm being a trait, it won't happen that often. Is there any good reason why they should not be used together? Other than the "because we said so" excuse?

It is a valid point that we should make this distinction clearer in the next Rules Review. As for your individual points, I believe I responded to them individually in your message.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website ICQ Number 
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic