NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 04:43 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
A knee in the groin is worth two in the face. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should we have stars in future Major tournaments.
Yes, as many as we can afford!
5%
 5%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but only 1 per team.
10%
 10%  [ 4 ]
No - rookie teams only.
44%
 44%  [ 17 ]
No - but we can allocate 1 skill before the tournament.
15%
 15%  [ 6 ]
No -but we can allocate 2 skills before the tournament.
23%
 23%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 38

IndigoOffline
Post subject: Star Players at tournaments  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:35 AM
Da Warboss

England
Jervis asked the question "Should we have Star Players at the BB in future" and the general shouted vote in Bugmans was no. Some alternatives were bandied about, with the options above proving to be popular/controversial.

I know many people like the idea of using stars, as they generally don't have much call to use the figures in leagues, but I personally think they unbalanced the tournament.

So vote away and we'll see what the masses think!

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
TiMuNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:49 AM

Well, i haven't played the Bloodbowl, but to me, stars have made the difference. Human teams are allowed the best conbination of stars one can get, with Luthor and Griff, plus they can take a rookie Ogre too.

So IMHO no stars can make it more balanced next time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:52 AM

Don't know about the skills, but I would say no stars!

(Wasn't this polled on the news page of this site already)

I did like the system of getting one normal skill to allocate to a player of choice after each match (no more than one per player) that was used at the Dutch Open.
(I also liked the 110TR starting line-up used there, as this allows teams like elves who start relatively bad to start a little better)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 05:33 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

The option that the US GenCon tournament (80 players) will be using was changed based on the results from the Blood Bowl 2003.

The new rule we are going to try is this:

The GenCon Bowl in July will use the following rule.

Code:

Star Players:
Your team is allowed to purchase star players from the list in the LRB allowed for your race. However all non-secret weapon stars costing more than 100k will have an additional cost equal to the amount over 100k. Two examples, Griff costs 180k per the LRB; so for this tournament he will cost 260k to have on your team (180k+80k). The Mighty Zug costs 120k; for this tournament he will cost 140k (120k+20k). If two players have the same star player on their team for a match than neither may use them for that game. The exception to this are secret weapons star players (example if 2 Dwarf teams each have a Deathroller; they both may still use it).

In addition, all non-secret weapon Star players are considered ringers brought in only for the tournament.  As a result they are not considered normal members of your team who have praticed with them.  Thus, for the GenCon Bowl are non-secret weapon Star Players may NOT use Team Rerolls for any match.

If you've ever studied the BB costing formula for players. The amount over 100k is divided by 2. All this rule does is make you pay what the Star Player is actually worth on the formula. It will be interesting to see if it works; or if the stars really do need banned.

If you spend 260k on Griff, I'm confident that Human Blitzer, 3 rerolls, and 2 FF I purchased instead will do more for me. Just my opinion. I guess I'll find out.

Galak

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 01:37 PM

Undisclosed
Well, havng been beaten on by Varag (3times), Morg (twice), Grashnak (twice), Hthark (twice) and Luthor (once) over the 6 games I say no Stars. Would have liked to see 2 skils per game, but was shouted down on that one, so maybe 2 skills pre-tournament.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 02:58 AM
Da Warboss

England
yeah I resented somewhat being kicked in by luthor, griff, an Ogre with Piling On and a Dirty Player. Especially considering he "got the ref" with the first kick off roll....

(He had Zug too, but so did I...)

NAF #60

SputnikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 06:25 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      Quote:
If you spend 260k on Griff, I'm confident that Human Blitzer, 3 rerolls, and 2 FF I purchased instead will do more for me. Just my opinion. I guess I'll find out

My opponent had 1RR and 1 FF and Griff'ed me. Crying or Very sad He never needed that RR and could affort to spend it on a push! I had two tacklers!!!

Keep us posted on your experience-and don't get Griff'ed! Wink

Sputnik

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 06:37 AM
Former President

England
Everybody knew in advance it was going to be a star heavy environment. Going without stars or only one and then bleating about getting stiffed by stars is a little late.
We all had the rulespack, we all knew what we were liable to face in the strongest rosters, some of us chose to fight fire with fire. Some of you didn't, I'm not so sure whether it's an admirable stance or plain naive. I suspect the latter. Wink

LucyOffline
Post subject: Well....  PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 07:13 AM

Undisclosed

I expected several stars and took one myself to counter it. It so happened that my last opponent had Griff and Luthor.
Simple mathematics:
Me, Luthor
He, Luthor & Griff -
I got Griff'ed

Lucy
Who deserved to be Griff'ed.

I would simply prefer a 1.000.000 tourney without skills at the starts. That speeds things up.

Lucy
Twisted Evil

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 08:42 AM
Da Warboss

England
me too
I think the idea of TR110 is interesting, but my initial fears are it would give elves a greater boost than other teams, esp. helfs

NAF #60

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 09:13 AM
Former President

England
      Indigo wrote:
me too
I think the idea of TR110 is interesting, but my initial fears are it would give elves a greater boost than other teams, esp. helfs

Elves need that boost IMO, that extra 100 makes them competitive but far from broken. They are disadvantaged at 1mill, simple as that.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 09:14 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Indigo wrote:
me too

Having played in a TR110 tourney with High Elves and maybe Elves benefit more - but that is because the start out so weak. Remember it means cheaper teams can start with almost all their positional players and/or a big guy and decent TRR.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 04:31 PM

Undisclosed
      Deathwing wrote:
Some of you didn't, I'm not so sure whether it's an admirable stance or plain naive. I suspect the latter. Wink

It was an admirable stance Wink

No, it was just I didn't do very well in my playtest with Hakflem, and didn't have a headsplitter model ready, so no stars.

Wouldn't have minded the stars so much if there'd been some variety, but playing 3 Orc and 2 CD teams meant I knew I'd be facing Varag and Hthark, just wheter I'd also be facing Morg and Grashnak Rolling Eyes

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

mawphOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 01:38 PM

England
I put the last option as this gives players a more unique starting point and stops teams that have powerful star players romping away. No doubling up skills (etc) rules still in place though

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2003 - 10:09 AM

Before the BB, I had NEVER played with Star Players (except very occasionally in one-orr friendlies).

I took Hthark, but realised after the tournament that I should probably have taken Hthark AND Grashnak (I think Grumbledook had the sense to take both).

I much prefer playing without Star Players. They unbalance the game by becoming the focus of attention, and they give an advantage to a small number of races at the expense of others.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic