NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 11:20 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Max Kneecap Mittleman found dead. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Number of skills earned after each match.
1 skill
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
1 skill OR trait
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
2 skills
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
2 skills or 1 trait
38%
 38%  [ 12 ]
3 or more skills/traits (post with a reason)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
No extra skills - just newbie teams!
9%
 9%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 31

IndigoOffline
Post subject: Skill progression at Major tournaments  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:39 AM
Da Warboss

England
Similar to my post about Stars, this was also brought up at the tourny, but the general consensus there was to keep it as it is (1 skill per game)

NAF #60

Reply with quote Back to top
TiMuNOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:47 AM

I guess allowing two skills each match, could have diferent team progression, and some skill combos that the 1 skill each round does.

But there should be some kind of limitation, so the same player cannot be given a second skill untill game 4 (in a 6 game tourney like the Bloodbowl)
How about that?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger ICQ Number 
RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 03:54 AM

I like the 2 skills OR 1 trait idea, gives you some choice

I would rule out more than 1 skill/trait per player, though, or at least rule it out until after X games (4 or so)

R

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 06:13 AM

United States of America
I really like JKL's cup of dice rolls system. He made slips of paper with dice rolls printed on them. At the end of each round you drew your dice roll out of the cup and applied the result for either a skill, trait or stat increase. It gave us something to look forward to at the end of each round. It also gave you the proof of what the roll was, so that any accusation of cheating could be dealt with.

RedfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 06:41 AM

but this way people who are lucky to draw some traits/Str increases will get a big advantage on people who only draw skills

I think the only luck-factor in a tournament should be the luck during the match

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 08:19 AM

United States of America
True, it does throw in some luck into it. If you are only making one advance per round, I don't believe the difference is so great that it has any great effect. So what my opponent got a str 4 on his blitzer, I used my skill to get a guard or maybe a ball stripper. With only one advance per round, its just not a game breaker.

KhankillOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 08:23 AM

United States of America
I will concede that this may not be the best system for a tourney as large as the Bloodbowl, but for the 20 to 40 team tourney, I really like it.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 01:45 PM

Undisclosed
2 Skills or 1 trait - no Mutations though (this from someone who played skaven)

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

BevanOffline
Post subject: Mutations  PostPosted: Mar 04, 2003 - 02:46 PM

Darkson wrote:
2 Skills or 1 trait - no Mutations though (this from someone who played skaven)

Hey! the fun part of Chaos and Skaven is the ability to get mutations. Twisted Evil

It seems too artificial to disallow all traits (and mutations), although skipping stat increases is OK.

How about 2 skills, 2 skills, 1 trait in successive games, repeated through another cycle if there are enough games. No player can gain another skill or trait until every player on the team has at least one. Rolling Eyes

IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 03:01 AM
Da Warboss

England
I personally think it worked fine as it was, and see no reason for making it more complicated. Then again, as has been quite rightly pointed out, it was a big tournament, so smaller ones could well get away with more elaborate systems...

NAF #60

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 07:56 AM

Big tourneys could run into large problems with giving two skills per game. After 4 games, an entire Amazon roster could have block/dodge.

-Oscar Wilde

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 02:26 PM

skummy wrote:
Big tourneys could run into large problems with giving two skills per game. After 4 games, an entire Amazon roster could have block/dodge.

This raises the issue of whether to allow the normal SPP progession rules.

It's not just that every Amazon has Blodge, but every Saurus, Black Orc and Big Guy has Block, every Dwarf has Guard etc. Evil or Very Mad

The real trouble with the system is that it does not represent the normal team progression. Players usually have to do something to get a skill. Even with MVPs you have to get a player to get a casualty, completion or TD to advance.

The system strongly disadvantages the teams that are able to get skills on the right players and disadvantages coaches who are able to spread their SPPs rather than give every TD to the same Gutter Runner.

To some extent this is compensated by the complete recoevery after every game so that teams that lose key low armour players are not affected. But this distortion of the normal team development compounded with the distorted skill advancement means the current tournament rules bear no resemblance to normal team development.

I would prefer a system that used normal team SPP progression and normal injury effects.

For tournaments this needs two extra fixes.

(1) All teams should get the same set of skill advance rolls. So the torunament organisers roll 2D 3 or 4 times and list or announce the results. All players gaining skill advancements get these rolls working down the sheet in player number order. This avoids teams becoming too good because they were lucky Rolling Eyes with all those 6/6 rolls.

(2) Another fix is needed to avoid teams being beaten up in one game and the next coach they play gains the benefit. I'm not sure of the best way to fix this. Possibly all injuries count as Badly Hurt, unless a player gets injured a second time later in the tournament.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 05, 2003 - 06:34 PM

tbh the current system of 1 skill a match has been fine at all the 3 tournaments

the one thing i would maybe change is to allow one trait after the third match, though maybe nerves of steel stand firm are rather powerful in this format, it would just be nice to get dauntless ;]

Jon

lowsmanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 - 10:31 AM

Giving two skills per game makes far too skilled teams. It also benefits 'elite' teams that do not have many players, as it is likely to make the players that they have more survivable. A minotaur with block and pro would be a formidable prospect.

The same issue applies to issuing traits. This will make more killer players, especially when put on killer players. It also makes Leader far too accessible.

Using skill progression means the first game is absolutely vital. If you get a 'victim' player and slaughter them in game one, you are then building a killer team for the rest of the tournament. However if you get drawn against a good player using a strength team your whole tournament could be ruined. To keep it balanced you would have to also carry casualties across, and your tournament could be ruined in one game if you lose two or three players. Using the current rules would make it too luck based on who wins the tournament.

I'd agree with Grumbledook. Allow one trait after the third game, and other than that one skill per game, and only allow one thing to be given to each player.

Richard

DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 - 12:14 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
I think it should stay with one skill per round. The 'two skills or a trait' option looks nice, but would make some teams really unbalanced(RSClaws anyone??) in the competition.

One skill just gives everybody the chance to model the team to his way of playing.

Keep it as it is

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic