NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 04:43 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are overrated rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CyberHare
Post subject: Death Bowl Rules Preview  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 01:07 PM

I've pretty much hammered out the rules for this years Death Bowl tournament. There are a number of little changes from last year and a couple of big changes such as the addition of a round of BB 7's.

I'll leave them open for debate for the next couple weeks. At least until I get back from GenCon.

You can check the rules out here. Either post comments here or at the House Rulez Forum.

Last edited by CyberHare on Aug 27, 2004 - 01:13 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 01:28 PM

United States of America
If I just type in www.house-rulez.com or try to click on alink in the forum I get a white screen that says:

You can't access this file directly...

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 01:41 PM

I don't see any rules, just a bunch of stuff about angels and whatnot with this at the bottom of the page :

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /mnt/web_j/d02/s14/a00090l9/www/modules/Sections/index.php on line 180

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 02:47 PM

Yes I'm sorry. Of course as soon as I release a preview of the rules something goes screwy with the website. The site itself is ok but something seems to be wrong with the rules script. If I can't get it fixed soon I'll post the rules here.

Sorry about this.

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 02:58 PM

United States of America
I seem to be able to use the site fine now Very Happy

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 05:43 PM

Yeah the site was an easy fix, it's the tournament module that seems to be f'd. Sigh..

All well here's the rules in a flat HTML file for now.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Getting Excited  PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 07:13 PM

Undisclosed
Guys-
After looking over the Death Bowl Tournament format/rules, I'm pretty psyched to attend. Unfortunately, I don't know if I can afford to attend both this and the Baltimore event in November. Can someone PM me with some inexpensive travel/accomodations options for this?

Thanks in advance. -Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 10, 2004 - 08:29 PM

Questions :

1. Because there are 2 balls in play, you can make 2 passes as long as it's not with the same ball. In overtime when there's 3 balls, can you make 3 passes?

2. Can you make 2 TTM as long as it's not the same player being thrown twice?

3. Orcs are not allowed goblins in the BB7 game?

4. If a player cannot take part in the BB7 game (because of the positional restrictions or the 10 max players), is he still elligible for the skill roll after that game?

5. Does the master chef steal rerolls from all 3 opponents in the final game? If i steal 3 rerolls, is that 3 from each opponent, 1 from each or 3 total distributed how i see fit?

6. Do all CAS count towards the smackdown bonus, or only those that would have given 2 SPPs?

7. Are you sure it's a good idea to give as many points for a loss by one TD as for a draw? Shouldn't draws be worth 40 points, so that the points to TD differential goes 60 for +2, 50 for +1, 40 for 0, 30 for -1, 20 for -2 instead of 60, 50, 30, 30, 20?

8. How come mummies and big guys have no general skill access? I thought you hated the vault rules...

Last edited by Zombie on Aug 11, 2004 - 12:13 AM; edited 1 time in total

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Rod as soon as I get the site working there will be a list of places to stay. The motel where most of the guy's stayed last year is fairly inexpensive, $70 or so Canadian per night, and includes a real breakfast. Not just a muffin and juice. I believe Mel is thinking of traveling up here for the tourney. Mybe you guy's can travel together to cut costs.

On the note of cutting costs if there are any Montreal area coaches who are interested in offering a place to stay please let me know.

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 05:28 AM

Zombie I can always count on you to come up with some good questions.

Zombie wrote:
1. Because there are 2 balls in play, you can make 2 passes as long as it's not with the same ball. In overtime when there's 3 balls, can you make 3 passes?

Yes you can make as many passes as there are balls in play. That said If you manage to get and hold on to all three balls in overtime it would be a small miracle in itself. Though after they crazy game you guy's had last year I wouldn't say it was impossible Smile Note this is for the Death Bowl round only

Zombie wrote:
2. Can you make 2 TTM as long as it's not the same player being thrown twice?

If your team has 2 balls you can make 2 TTM as long as it's not the same player being thrown twice. Note this is for the Death Bowl round only

Zombie wrote:
3. Orcs are not allowed goblins in the BB7 game?

That's a typo. 0-2 Goblins

Zombie wrote:
4. If a player cannot take part in the BB7 game (because of the positional restrictions or the 10 max players), is he still elligible for the skill roll after that game?

No they are not.

Zombie wrote:
5. Does the master chef steal rerolls from all 3 opponents in the final game? If i steal 3 rerolls, is that 3 from each opponent, 1 from each or 3 total distributed how i see fit?

If you have payed for the 2 extra chances to steal re-rolls and you manage to steal all 3 re-rolls then you would recieve 1 reroll from 3 randomly determined coaches. You would not get 9 rerolls!

Zombie wrote:
6. Do all CAS count towards the smackdown bonus, or only those that would have given 2 SPPs?

I'm not sure to be honest. Most if not all tournaments only allow the SPP casualties. I tend to lean towards allowing any casualties if only for simplicity sake. Also this is the Death Bowl, we want a lot of dead players Smile I'd like to hear people's opinions on this. I'm open to either way.

Zombie wrote:
7. Are you sure it's a good idea to give as many points for a loss by one TD as for a draw? Shouldn't draws be worth 40 points, so that the points to TD differential goes 60 for +2, 50 for +1, 40 for 0, 30 for -1, 20 for -2 instead of 60, 50, 30, 30, 20?

In the new way of doing things you only get 10 points for the loss and 20 for the tie. I don't like that as it's a very big change in standings per turn. This sytem allows the winner to get an edge over the competition but not so much of an edge that he's impossible to catch after three rounds. I've seen this system work well in many tournaments and I like it. Unless there's a really good reason to change it I don't think I will. Besides, you won last year under this system Wink

8. How come mummies and big guys have no general skill access? I thought you hated the vault rules...[/quote]

Hate is a strong word but it's true that I'm almost there for the Vault rules. That said, after attending many a tournament and discussing the matter with some who have been to even more tournaments than myself I believe this is a good idea. Strength 5 players need a slight toning down for tournament play. Especially on teams like the Kemri where you get 4 of them Shocked Not allowing them access to General skills simply means they won't be able to take block. Beyond that you never really see them take anything else. I think that without block they'll be just enough of a liability to make coaches a little more cautious with them.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 11:24 AM

United States of America
karllager....if I come up from D.C., I'm sure I can pick u up along the way.

Ken

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 11:30 AM

United States of America
      CyberHare wrote:
Especially on teams like the Kemri where you get 4 of them Shocked Not allowing them access to General skills simply means they won't be able to take block. Beyond that you never really see them take anything else. I think that without block they'll be just enough of a liability to make coaches a little more cautious with them.

I never took block on my mummies Razz

I did take tackle on one mummy for my last game because I HATE HATE HATE amazons Mr. Green

I think it's more of an issue on "regular" teams taking a big guy where it's an additional positional player.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 11:57 AM

United States of America
      CyberHare wrote:
      Zombie wrote:

I'm not sure to be honest. Most if not all tournaments only allow the SPP casualties. I tend to lean towards allowing any casualties if only for simplicity sake. Also this is the Death Bowl, we want a lot of dead players Smile I'd like to hear people's opinions on this. I'm open to either way.

I've always been a fan of counting all cas's. It let's a team that decides to foul their way back into the most cas trophy a chance. Fans' don't care where a foul comes from (I hate the latest ff ruling from bbrc) and we aren't playing for spp's.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 01:58 PM

CyberHare wrote:
If you have payed for the 2 extra chances to steal re-rolls and you manage to steal all 3 re-rolls then you would recieve 1 reroll from 3 randomly determined coaches. You would not get 9 rerolls!

I'm not talking about the rerolls you get. I know you get just 3! I'm talking about the rerolls you take away.

Maybe my choice of words wasn't ideal. The way the rules look now, you don't steal rerolls anymore. For example, you'd get extra rerolls even if the opponent has no more rerolls to lose. The acts of getting extra rerolls and of taking away rerolls from the opponent are completely separate now.

So wouldn't it make sense that each opponent lose 3 and that you get 3?

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Aug 11, 2004 - 02:02 PM

CyberHare wrote:

Just like in my league we've always counted all CAS for the FF bonus (for simplicity's sake and because the fans don't care where the violence came from as long as there was plenty of it), i'd rather all CAS count towards the smackdown bonus.

However, in the final game, it could be tricky to decide which opponent to award a CAS to. For example, if one of my player dodges away from two opponents and dies in the process, who gets the casualty? Both? Roll randomly? How about when you fall down on a GFI?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic