NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 10:12 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Talk Blood Bowl is down. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Challenge of Q'ermitt (Toronto tourney)  PostPosted: Sep 05, 2004 - 10:34 AM

Canada
I am very excited to announce that I plan on running a Blood Bowl tournament in Toronto in March of 2005.

This is the first Annual Challenge of Q'ermit, hosted by Hammers of the North.

In this tournament participating teams will have an opportunity to span the globe, as they are transported via the portals of the Old Ones, to play in Blood Bowl pitches all over the world to determine who is truly the mightiest.

Players will have the chance to play on eight of nine specially constucted boards which represent different geographical locations (e.g. desert, ice, goblin swamp stadium). Each pitch will have their own special rules (for weather, etc.) which will be included in the tournament package. The two players who advance to the finals will be playing in the temple of the mighty Slann, Q'ermitt, who (for reasons known only to him) is set to determine who is the mightiest Blood Bowl team in the world and bestow them with the mystical Plaque of Q'ermitt.

The "nitty gritty" can be found on the "Tourney" link on the NAF toolbar.
My goal is to make this a very exciting, unique, and above all, fun tournament for all players!

The Schedule:

Schedule:

Saturday

9:00-10:00 ??? Registration
9:30 ??? 11:30 - Game 1
11:30 ??? 1:00 - Lunch
1:00 - 3:00 - Game 2
3:00 ??? 4:00 - Break
4:00 ??? 6: 00 - Game 3

6:30 ??? 10:30 ??? Stunty Cup

Sunday

9:30-11:30 ??? Game 4
11:30 ??? 12:30- Lunch
12:30 - 2:30 - Game 5
2:30 ??? 3:30 - Break
3:30 ??? 5: 30 - Game 6
5:30 ??? 6:00 - Clean up
6:00 - Awards Ceremony

Please be on time for registration as the store is doing us a favour by opening up early! Everyone must be ready to play by 10:00 ??? no later! The time table is very tight so please make sure that you play at a brisk pace. The four minute turn rule is in effect, and it is up to you to remind your opponent if they are taking too long.

Those committed to attending:
Karl Lagerbottom (+Stunty - race?)
Ben (+Stunty - skinks)
Anthony TBBF
Eric Harmer
Twodiceblock
Angryrob
Bikerbob
Meurte
Garth
Grell
James Smith
Clan-Skaven (+Stunty - skinks)
Six Foot Dwarf
Honeycomb Kid
Talons
Ian Dundas
VBZ

Last edited by Spazzfist on Feb 18, 2005 - 12:25 PM; edited 21 times in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2004 - 12:29 PM

United States of America
Sounds very cool to me!

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2004 - 05:29 PM

I don't think Toronto is a good place to start a new tournament right now. There are already many tournaments there so the scene is pretty much saturated. The TBBF gang even decided to drop a tournament this year because they thought that 3 would be too much.

I wish you good luck anyway.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2004 - 08:12 PM

Canada
Thanks for the heads up, Zombie, but I have invested too much into this to back out now!

While I can appreciate what you are saying, I think that when looking at a market that it is saturated, you need to consider what is being offered. Now I will be the first to admit that I have not been an active particpant in the Blood Bowl tournament circuit, but I have been doing some research and talked to some people who are more in the know (e.g. Anthony Watts of the TBBF), and the message I am getting is that something different is needed if you want to draw a crowd.

I mean no disrespect to the TBBF, and say this having no knowledge of how they run their tournaments, but if you keep doing the same things, then your existing participants will start to lose interest, and it will be hard to generate a fresh audience. Perhaps that is why the Toronto scene is waning.

What I am offering will be something very different than anything that I have ever heard about, and provided that the interest is maintained, then it will be a growing project for years to come.

My hook is that I am constructing nine special Blood Bowl boards and my goal is to make at least one more every year so that the entire tournament is no longer played on the cardboard Blood Bowl pitches which we are all so familiar with, but rather on special pitches which represent and are characteristic of the different races in the Warhammer world, and the corresponding geographical locations. Not only will this be more interesting to play on aesthetically, but it will challenge the coaches to use their team in different ways as dictated by the stadium's weather and special "quirks".

But this is my first tournament, and of course I want this to be a success (duh!) so I am willing to listen and accept the advice of anyone who might be able to tell me how they have promoted their own tournament, or made it the penultimate BB tournament that could not be missed!

Zombie, thanks for the advice, but this is where I am, so this is where it's got to be. I think that when there are a lot of people doing the same thing, you just have to be creative and offer something different. When I get my web site up check it out and you will see that I am doing just that!

Hope to see you there in March!

Spazzfist

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 05, 2004 - 08:51 PM

Actually, the Toronto scene is certainly not waning. It's increasing in size at an alarming rate! The Canadian open got a lot more players this year than anything held prior to that, and the Spike! should at least double that amount.

Also, i don't think that offering constancy turns people off in the long run, on the contrary. If they see something they like, they'll be back for more! And they'll certainly be back to see again all the new people they've met.

I'm not trying to discourage you or anything. Just be warned that you might be disappointed by the turnout. You're also holding the tournament at a date that's pretty close to next year's Canadian Open, which could hurt you.

But i'm always glad to see new blood injected in the tournament scene. Again, good luck!

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2004 - 01:02 AM

Undisclosed
Spazz-
I don't think that I'll be able to attend, but one item off of your list that is new to me and an interesting twist, is that players who die come back without their skill(s).

It may change the way people play with certain stars and it may even force people to change from their tried-and-true skills progression for their team. (Especially if more than one player goes down in this way. Very Happy )

I know that during the Boston Brouhaha someone put a bounty on one of the Halfling Team's treeman. (I almost collected...but he apothed the SI'd Treeman.) Anyway, you might see alot more of that type of thing in your tourney, and more interaction between players is always a good thing.

Good Luck. -Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: PostPosted: Sep 06, 2004 - 02:10 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Any chance of sneak previews of these custom pitches? Possible you could post some pics?

Sounds cool!

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 06, 2004 - 08:39 AM

Canada
A friend of mine is going to help me set up a web site and then pics (and other info) will be posted there. I will also be posting "work in progress" pics of what has been done at the Spike! tourney.

As I said we are building nine pitches, which are as follows:
-goblin swamp stadium (built on rafts)
-halfling stadium with lush turf and overzealous Mcmurty burger vendors
-Rh'ugbi pitch (Blood bowl on a boat)
-desert pitch
-Norse snow and ice field
-Sylvanian graveyard pitch
-Astrogranite field
-dungeonbowl (?) - I have heard that some people are not crazy about this one and may change it for streetbowl or something else.

-Temple of Q'ermitt - Lizardman step pyramid pitch overseen by the mighty Q'ermitt himself

Other ideas are already floating around for other pitch conceptions, but as I said, I would like to do more every year - so suggestions are very welcome!

Currently my team and I are working on the boat, goblin and lizardman pitches as these will be the most difficult and time consuming (not to mention probably the most attractive!) Pics when we have them!

Spazzfist

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject: ..  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2004 - 02:03 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
Sounds great...

Wait no Skaven pitch???

Sewer-Bowl! Laughing

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Re: ..  PostPosted: Sep 06, 2004 - 02:12 PM

Canada
      Clan-Skaven wrote:

Wait no Skaven pitch???

Sewer-Bowl! Laughing

A project for a future year to be sure!!

Da_ScumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 09, 2004 - 01:48 PM

Undisclosed
A Goblins pitch eh? Wonder if Da Maggot scum will gain home-field advantage there as well? Very Happy Mind you they LIKE already having their own home stadium as it comes with all the luxeries of a Goblin Stadium! If they don't have a weapon's rack in their dugout it can't possibly be their home-field! Laughing

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2004 - 06:25 AM

Canada
There are now some pics of the early stages and conceptual designs for the lizardman temple stadium. These can be found at:

http://www.mikesminimart.com/coolstuff.html

This is my friend Mike's website and I plan to get my own site up soon too, but until then I will see if I can get the pics of the other boards there too. Currently I am working on the goblin swamp raft pitch (which is more than half done now) and the Blood Bowl Boat is nearing completion.

Enjoy!

BenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Canada
Let me know if theres anyway i can help, being the NAF Rep for Canada and all.

Ben

Old_Man_MonkeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2004 - 08:01 AM

Undisclosed
Go get 'em, Ben old bean! Very Happy

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 10, 2004 - 09:58 AM

Canada
My buddy Mike is graciously allowing me to post the pics of my goblin raft stadium (as it stands now) on his website. I forwarded these to him, and they should be up by the end of the day. More pics by the end of the weekend for sure!

Also, for any who are coming to the Spike! tourney, I will be there, and will be posting any pics and info that we have at that time.

<Ben, I posted you a PM, so just get back to me on that....>

Spazz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic