NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 04:19 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
What are the odds I'd roll another one? rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2005 - 12:44 PM

My guess is that the killer for Elves is not having any Dodge in their starting line-up.

I am guessing that the AG4 teams that do consistently well in tournaments (Wood Elves and Skaven) do so because of AG4 + Dodge.

Without Dodge, you are doomed to the "Elven curse" (rolling ones).

Having said that, I am a bit surprised at the poor performance of the Pro-Elves, to the point that I might start playing them in tournaments. I found the side quite strong in a short league (this was when the catchers had Leap, rather than NOS). But without Leap, the side does not turn me on in quite the same way.

Cheers

Smeborg

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2005 - 04:02 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Av7 across the board sucks when you can only afford 11 players to start and no one starts with dodge and only 2 guys with block too.

The catchers with Catch,Leap were going to be an interesting tournament team. NoS doesn't help much on offence (AG4 & Catch is pretty effective even in 2-3 TZ) and is useless on defence.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 01:47 PM

Ian's right - you have no defence with AV7 and with the switch from Leap to NOS. Not just Linemen, but expensive positional players with no defensive skills tend to be exposed from the start.

I find roster choice difficult with the Elves. You need to take plenty of Catchers in order to have speed and counter-attacking possibilities. But at 100,000 a pop, this makes it difficult to start a tournament with more than 2 Re-rolls. And that's just not enough to protect against the "Elven curse"...

I would prefer a reversion to Leap.

Cheers

Smeborg

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 07:29 PM

i went 2-2 at a tourney with pro elves, should have gone 3-1, but failed 4 rerolls in a row by rolling another one afterwards, but it's absolutly essential you get dodge on your blitzer after game one so you have one player that can play defense, imo, and take kick in case your opponent is greedy and only puts one guy back to receive.

i took
1 blitzer
3 catchers
1 thrower
6 linemen
3 rerolls
1 FF

and it worked ok, i really like NOS actually, catching 2+ or throwing 2+ no matter is really sweet, but i think they are pretty bad team in tourneys and far too good in leagues, i was ripping people with them in leagues b/c the catchers and blitzers are so rediculous once they get skilled up a little. people were mad at them, and i even had a catcher die early in the league due to failed apothocary. cheap linemen and rediculous positions = good combo

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 09:34 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I just look at that team and I don't see any way to reliabily stop a competent bashy coach's offence. You are basically relying on them either being incompetent (i.e. not adequately protecting the ball carrier) or unlucky (failing to pick up the ball with a RR).

That's basically the same problem that DE/HE have IMO (poor defence) so your advantage of an extra RR is pretty minimal - and probably more than outweighed by the greater casualties you'll take.

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2005 - 01:28 PM

yep, your opponent has to either play vs kick poorly, fail to pick up the ball, or you have to be so annoying with your blitzer that they get frustrated, so if the bashy coach knows what they are doing yeah it's real bad, but i didn't have a problem with low av cause i used the rr's to dodge away more consistantly, but they are not good, i agree, i did very well against skaven though, since my defense wasn't so important Smile

JaegoJonesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 07:53 PM

Evrything said about them having no defence is unfortunatly true..

i started my team

1 thrower
2 blitzers
2 catchers
7 line elves
1 RR
5 FF
Apoth

i have had to learn the hard way not to play close to the line.. but if you only put 3 guys on the line agenst woodies and rats then you force them to run into pass coverage.. last season woodies were the top offence in my league.. after playing them twice they had 4 total TD's.. to my 9. it's just a matter of getting NOS catchers in front of and next to other catchers and wardancers. of you can afford to double up then you have a chance to intercept without worry of a tackle zone..

as for offence i score in 2 everytime i get the ball.. it's just a matter of not throwing the ball until your catcher is going into the end zone with it.. qo a wuick pass to one catcher.. have him run to the other one.. hand off teh ball.. then dash for the end zone. first skill up i give them is sure feet for the extra movement.. sure dodge is great but not rolling a 1 in the endzone has won me more games

h6c6t6bOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 10, 2005 - 11:21 PM

woodies are the bomb!! i say start league with no thrower and get skills on all your liners...then get 1 thrower and develop him well (wont take long) then after the 3rd skill get the 2nd

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic