NAF Logo
leftstar May 10, 2024 - 10:04 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Broken Neck! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
neoliminalOffline
Post subject: Underworld Cup: Finis - Nov. 20-21, 2004 - Ann Arbor, MI  PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 12:10 PM

Netherlands
Underworld Cup: Finis
Nov. 20-21, 2004 - Ann Arbor, MI

This will be the largest (and last) Underworld Cup ever! Jervis Johnson will be the Guest of Honour and many luminaries from around the Blood Bowl world will be in attendance.

Held in the University of Michigan's beautiful ivy covered Student Union, this year's event will pull out all the stops! The competition is always fierce with hard core players coming from as far away as Canada, England, and Germany. If last year is any indication, this year will be fought in the trenches with vicious blocks, long desperation passes and dirty kicks to the face.

The Underworld Cup has repeatedly been won by non-Americans. Are there any American coaches who can keep the cup here in this it's final challenge?

To register in advance:
http://ucon-gaming.org/

Rules for the tournament:
http://www.deathstar.org/~jklewis/finis/

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 01:17 PM

I'd go if i could find a lift. You just need to convince Brian to go as well!

Why is this the last ever?

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 02:18 PM

Netherlands
I've moved to NYC. Wont be holding it in Michigan next year. I'll have a NYC tournament instead.

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 03:07 PM

Maybe it will be the Gotham City Cup (or Metropolous Cup) Wink

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 03:24 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Torg wrote:
Maybe it will be the Gotham City Cup (or Metropolous Cup) Wink

Or the "Lyberty Cup"

Or better yet the "Lyberty Torch" (Have an Amazon holding a Torch & holding a Football, in the same stance as the Statue of Liberty)

Theres the Empire State Building in NYC & the Empire is an army in WHF/BB. So why not the "Empire Open"

Or to compliment the Canadian Open, call it the "American Open"

Instead of "the Big Apple" you could call it "the Big Grapple" (ok I'm gonna stop with that one!) Embarassed

Host of the Warpstone Cup, Q'ermitt Bowl & the Hope Bowl

ColinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 03:40 PM

I like the Empire reference, we all know the US is the Evil Empire (or is that just Disney), so why not the Empire Cup?

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 03:50 PM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
      Torg wrote:
I like the Empire reference, we all know the US is the Evil Empire (or is that just Disney), so why not the Empire Cup?

Why thankyou, thankyou!

I kinda liked the, "Lyberty Torch Challenge" (with the Amazon in the Statue of Liberty pose, holding a BB football) myself.

But who knows maybe it will still be called the Underworld Cup.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 03, 2004 - 04:30 PM

Hey Neo, i've got an idea. If Brian and i promise to go to the Underworld Cup, will you come to the Death Bowl? Might give me an argument to use on Brian to get him to come, as i know that he'll do anything to increase the attendance at the Death Bowl!

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 07:41 AM

Hey Hey wait a minute I....

No I guess that's pretty accurate Wink

As for attending Underworld this year I really don't think it's going to happen. But never say never. I'll be in NYC next year for sure.

Clan_SkavenOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 07:55 AM

Niagara Falls ON, Canada
I really would like to attend this tourney, but I work that weekend, & i've used up alot of time off already, so if I can I'll be there, but probably not likely.

neoliminalOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 01:01 PM

Netherlands
I've got a few surprises in store this year, it's a shame you guys can't make it! It's going to be a great tournament with some fist pounding, no holds barred Blood Bowl action!!

Take a look at the rules we're using, Zombie actually had a hand in a few of them.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 01:40 PM

Canada
      neoliminal wrote:
Take a look at the rules we're using, Zombie actually had a hand in a few of them.

Oh please don't encourage him! Wink

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

CyberHare
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 02:02 PM

I just looked at the rules Shocked Sad I'm sad to see some of these things creeping into tournament play. Now I know I don't think I'll be at the tourney but I'm going to comment on the rules just the same as there are some disturbing trends starting to emerge.

Random Player Skills - So basically if I get screwed on a couple skill rolls I can kiss my tourney goodbye. There are only 6 games to play, it's not as though the "law of averages" will work things out over the long run. There is no long run. The first three picks are critical to get you where you are going. Getting two of them on a gimp will be a lovely treat for somoene who has payed to play at the event.

Re-rolls for illegal procedure - I do truly fail to see why anyone thinks this is a good idea. I have only ever played a handfull of games where my opponent has moved his turn marker ever turn. No way do I deserve to get a re-roll because he forgot to move his turn marker. The only reason I can see that people are liking this rule is that they are looking forward to getting free re-rolls off a bunch of tourney newbies who are having a hard time to start with. The worst of it is that it's usually the frustrated coach who forgets to move it and this is only helping to burry him further and faster by allowing his opponent that one more chance to "get it right". This is such a "power gamer" way to handle illegal procedures and I am very surprised that it's not getting completely slagged as such. Just get rid of the IP all together, problem solved. If your opponent forgets to move his turn marker, remind him. Come on, how childish are we?

Star Players - No matter what the cost they are not in the spirit of tourney play as far as I'm concerned. That's obviously a personal opinion and not a game mechanic.

4 games on day 1 - John I'm really surprised to see you have 4 games on day one as you were the original opponent to this idea. It's do-able yes but what about the Saturday evening dinner? The after party? The evening gab feast and general hanging out? I think you know what I'm getting at but I'll state it just the same. A tourney isn't just about the games, it's about getting together as friends and having a good time. 4 games of BB are for one very tiring and two counter productive to the friendly envorinment that I myself attend the events for. Now maybe there are some scheduling issues that force this, I don't know.

Last edited by CyberHare on Oct 04, 2004 - 06:38 PM; edited 1 time in total

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 02:05 PM

Cool!

I see that you're using my sportsmanship system. At the Spike!, people were asked to give a 2 unless they had a good reason not to (it said so in the rules pack). Still, most people gave mostly 3s. Unless you force people to give average marks, it's not going to happen.

You're also using my pairing through NAF rankings in round 1 (well that one isn't really mine, i just suggested that because every chess tournament in the world already works that way). Be advised that you might want to assign a 150 CR to coaches who don't have one, rather than pairing them all at the bottom of the ladder in round 1. That's how they do it in chess. Of course, this will not change anything if you have an even number of coaches with NAF rankings. Also, in chess, they use this every round as a tie breaker to determine matchups. You might want to do that as well.

Also, you probably didn't use this because of me, but i'm glad you give more points for a tie than for a loss by one TD. The 5 points for a tie in CAS is a nice addition too, i like that!

You've got Brian's dice rule, that's nice.

I like the skill system, it's a cool twist. You forgot to mention whether a player can take more than one skill/upgrade. I take it to mean that there are no limits in that respect? Can the money be spent on players, apothecaries and the like? You don't say anywhere that it can't...

I don't like the rule for multiple star players. Two rolls that happen out of the game can easily decide a game. It would be better to let both teams have their star, or neither team. If you must have him only once, then you should make him switch team automatically at halftime.

You should specify how the halfling chef works, as there are 3 or 4 different versions out there, and you don't even seem to be using the official one (as you don't mention ingredients anywhere).

The added zombie i think makes necromantic and undead teams too good in your tournament.

Can star players use TRR? How about leader RR?

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Oct 04, 2004 - 03:21 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

John after reading through the rules ... I have 3 comments and yeah ... feel free to ignore them since my wife veto'd me coming up.

1) The 4th game on day 1. The single thing that made me come back last year and made me risk my wife's wrath this year to ask to still come even with my niece's 1st birthday was the dinner on Saturday night with everyone. Eating, debating, and then after dinner going out to the bar and eating and debating some more. That single event was more important to me than the tournament. So I share Cyberhare's thoughts that you eliminated the best part of the Underworld Cup (at least to me). Also ... CyberHare is right ... you were the one who said and I quote:

Quote:

neoliminal
Posted: 17 Dec 2003 23:20
Subject: GenCon Bowl 2004

Neo: I desperately want more games at GenCon.

Galak: So the question becomes ... John what do you think of 4 games on Friday with the final round on Saturday morning. Are you game for that?

Neo: Four games in one day is the blood bowl version of torture. Don't do it.
=========================================
2) With your skill system ... why random player? If I have to purchase skills, I'd think it would be okay to assign them. I mean if I want to save up for +1 ST, I need to play 3 games with no skills. After that I'd like to know someone was going to get +1 ST to make it worth playing those first 3 games skillless.
=======================================
3) Agreed with Zombie. In the LRB 3.0, the Master Chef is free so if you are saying he costs 150k ... what exactly is costing 150k?????

Recommendation: Either use the Vault rules that for 150k he rolls 3D6 each half and steal one and gains one reroll for each 2+ roll or
say that extra ingredients cost 60k a piece (3x - GenCon 2004 and Chaos Cup 2004) ... or 80k a piece (4x - Deathbowl 2004)

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic