NAF Logo
leftstar May 14, 2024 - 05:45 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Casualty! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 - 02:03 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Apedog wrote:
Just for the record I think it should be changed to say that if the ball bounces it is a turnover

WHY? .... serious Munkey/Agedog ... I've played using this rule properly (ie not a turnover) for 10 years of league and occassional play. I've NEVER seen anyone complain. In fact it creates some great plays that get talked about for weeks to come.

We just had in my league a pass be dropped by the catcher. It bounced out of bounds, got throw in by the crowd to other part of the crowd, got thrown in again landed on the ground and bounced onto the thrower who caught it.

That a funny and great play ... it gets talked about. I do NOT under any circumstance want this rule to get changed.

I think enough rules have changed to remove the great plays from Blood Bowl that this one could survive .... sorry ... sore subject.

Galak

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 07, 2003 - 02:30 PM

Undisclosed
      GalakStarscraper wrote:
We just had in my league a pass be dropped by the catcher. It bounced out of bounds, got throw in by the crowd to other part of the crowd, got thrown in again landed on the ground and bounced onto the thrower who caught it.

That a funny and great play ... it gets talked about. I do NOT under any circumstance want this rule to get changed.

Are you talking about my Vamps? It would have been even funnier if it hadn't stopped a certain touchdown Rolling Eyes

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 - 03:55 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Darkson wrote:
Are you talking about my Vamps? It would have been even funnier if it hadn't stopped a certain touchdown Rolling Eyes

Your teams create all the cool stories, Darkson .... at least I've stopped talking about the time a Halfling team left you with only 3 Skaven players on the pitch by the end of the game .... ooooppsss .. sorry about that ... did it again.

Very Happy

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 - 04:14 PM

United States of America
      GalakStarscraper wrote:

Your teams create all the cool stories, Darkson .... at least I've stopped talking about the time a Halfling team left you with only 3 Skaven players on the pitch by the end of the game .... ooooppsss .. sorry about that ... did it again.

Very Happy

What!??!?

Shocked

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

DeathwingOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 08, 2003 - 05:02 PM
Former President

England
Hey..I got one! Friendly v. Marcus last year sometime. Gutter Runner in the End Zone flubs the scoring catch (maybe an inaccurate pass?). Whatever, ball goes out of the back of the EZ, the crowd throw it in a whole 2 squares and it bounces straight back into the hands of the GR for the score.

Another Blood Bowl moment. Very Happy

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 12:28 AM

Undisclosed
      Melifaxis wrote:
      GalakStarscraper wrote:

Very Happy

What!??!?

Shocked

Galak had kindly agreed to be my opponent in my 1st PBeM game, using his halfling team, with 2 treemen and Deeproot.

However, it wasn't the trees that did the damage (who all turned up for the 1st half Evil or Very Mad) or the fact I had next to no re-rolls (damn Masterchefs Evil or Very Mad ), it was the factt I was playing killer halflings who could break my armour with great regularity, whereas, as I was to find is normal for me, I couldn't break AV at all. I think I caused 1 cas in total?

Would check the game log, but it was lost in a computer crash Sad . Do you still have a copy Galak?

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 06:52 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Darkson wrote:
Would check the game log, but it was lost in a computer crash Sad . Do you still have a copy Galak?

No its gone .... and I'm 90% sure I didn't freeboot a Master Chef. I just think the dice where kind to me (both trees passed their Take Root rolls) and not to you ... couldn't knock down or injury the Flings.

Galak

longfangOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 04:17 PM

This happened in my first game (Gdook) against Smeborg. Seeing as I don't actually play the game much (8 competitve games since October and 3 friendlies before the Dutch open) I don't know the rules and nor do I have the time to trawl through the 5 pages of "posts since your last visit" that appear when I log into TBB every few days. So I rely on other people to know the rules. AH felt a bit embaressed by his error but he should be forgiven as he probably had a lot on his plate over the weekend. Happily his error didn't make any difference to the game and Smeborg got a deserved win in a game that was swinging wildly in each others favour resulting in plenty of "tits up" moments.

smeborgOffline
Post subject: Wrong ruling from Andy Hall  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 07:20 PM

Thanks guys.

I knew the answer, but thought I'd check, as I had a wrong ruling on this during the tournament from Andy Hall, of all people.

My fault for asking him - I should have solved the problem myself, or called someone like Brian StJames.

By great good fortune, the ruling did not influence the match result.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

smeborgOffline
Post subject: For Longfang  PostPosted: Mar 09, 2003 - 07:23 PM

Longfang -

That was a really wild game wasn't it? Maybe my dice were cursed after all!

I think 6 games like that over a weekend would see both of us in the loony bin.

Thanks for being sporting.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 10, 2003 - 11:14 AM

GalakStarscraper wrote:
      Apedog wrote:
Just for the record I think it should be changed to say that if the ball bounces it is a turnover

WHY? .... serious Munkey/Agedog ... I've played using this rule properly (ie not a turnover) for 10 years of league and occassional play...

Just Asthetics really, that way feels more right to me and slightly more intuitive to explain to players.

Especially when we have to devolve into a long discussion over whether the catch was a turnover or not and I have to laboriously point out to my opponents the relavent sections of the rules and make them read them. Properly. (Perhaps that's just my problem though).

In all honesty I'm not too bothered, it's a rare occurrence anyway so it's not going to even affect many games.

Boom! He's on his back!

daloonieshamanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 01:03 AM

United States of America
Awesome clarification, I am not the commish just a division rep here is the quote from the rules

"TURNOVERS
If the ball isn???t caught by a player from the moving
team, a turnover takes place and the moving team???s
turn ends. The turnover does not take place until the
ball finally comes to rest. This means that if the ball
misses the target but is still caught by a player from
the moving team, then a turnover does not take place.
The ball could even scatter out of bounds, be thrown
back into an empty square, and as long as it was
caught by a player from the moving team then the
turnover would be avoided!"

-Q-Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 09:49 AM

I have to admit that the fumble thing still confuses me. Which paragraph wording supercedes which? We all know the page 13 text says that if it's in the moving team's hand when the ball finally comes to rest that it's not a turnover. We also know that the wording for fumble says that the ball will bounce one square and the moving team will suffer a turnover and their turn ends immediately. However it doesn't go on to clarify "even if caught by a member of your team" so it could be that they meant the text on page 13 to be the final ruling on when it is or isn't a turnover and were just sloppy in the wording of a fumble. The lack of clarification could be because it's one of the advanced rules listed later in the rulebook from the "quick game" type rules.

I don't mean to get anyone angry about this I'm just trying to understand.

It seems a bit silly to me that if a guy misses a catch and his friend next to him gets the ball that isn't a turnover but if a thrower drops the ball and it's caught by the teammate next to him it is.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 10:11 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

-Q- wrote:
It seems a bit silly to me that if a guy misses a catch and his friend next to him gets the ball that isn't a turnover but if a thrower drops the ball and it's caught by the teammate next to him it is.

Doesn't to me ... guys downfield know its going to be a passing play and are looking for the pass. The guy next to the thrower sure as heck isn't planning on him dropping the ball into his lap. Its a game mechanic, but not one that bothers me in the least.

Passes caught by one of your guys when it comes to rest = no turnover.
Fumbles caught by one of your guys when it comes to rest = turnover.

A Fumble is not a Pass ... its what a pass turns into on a modified 1 or less.

Galak

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic