NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 02:52 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
One, reroll, one. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2004 - 06:41 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Zombie wrote:
Doing everything in your power to win ... is important.

No disrespect but that is cr*p.

So if you believe your chances of winning are increased but upsetting your opponent all the way through the game then you should? I know (if I was a complete git) I could argue about whether dice were legal, call people for IP. Argue about time limits (either way) - anything to disturb my opponent's concentration and focus. Or alternatively just insult my opponent continuously or make farting noises (well I do that anyway, but it isn't intentional Laughing ).

The important criteria is which you allow your pursuit of victory override the desire for you both to have an enjoyable time.

Reply with quote Back to top
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2004 - 06:50 PM

Let me rephrase that : "doing everything in your power on the board to win is important".

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 17, 2004 - 11:41 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I wouldn't mark someone down for stalling, but I have no problem with deducting sportsmanship marks for it.

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 12:18 PM

which is exactly why it shouldn't be imcorperated into the final scores

can't say i have ever played a complete gompa in any tournament and the ones that didn't bother with sporting scores, well i noticed no difference in the games to the tournaments that did

being sporting should be something you do anyway not cause the rules demand it

Jon

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 03:32 PM

Undisclosed
      Grumbledook wrote:
being sporting should be something you do anyway not cause the rules demand it

Finally a sensible post from Grum. Wink Laughing

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 05:49 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Grumbledook wrote:
can't say i have ever played a complete gompa in any tournament and the ones that didn't bother with sporting scores, well i noticed no difference in the games to the tournaments that did

I'd prefer a system that made it extremely difficult for an arsehole to win (a la Dungeon Bowl) but I haven't found sportsmanship to be an issue in any independent tournament.

I do believe tournaments ought to have a prize for the best sportsman/most entertaining opponent whatever because its an important aspect of the hobby that deserves encouragement.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 18, 2004 - 05:53 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Dave wrote:
IF stalling is not unsportsmanlike, isn't it unsportmanlike to classify the guy who doesn't like stalling and thus scores quickly because HE feels that is more fun for the BOTH of you as an unsportsmanlike person ???
Played my Halflings vs Chaos at the Chaos Cup. I've never lost against Chaos with Flings in league or tournament play ... I LOVE Chaos ... ANYWAY. )side note: Darkson is trying to change that right now .. but end of the first half has us at 0-0 and his team was 80+ TR points higher ... anyway.)

My opponent at the Chaos Cup was really PISSED off because I beat him 5-0. He felt I didn't need to run up the score ... but my only other option was playing stall ball which I'm not a fan of.

He was so upset that he threw a 2 dice my choice block against my treeman with a Chaos Warrior and when he rolled Pow and Skull ... he reminded me that I didn't "have" to take the Skull. Very Happy I tried to be a good coach ... but the game really depressed him .... wasn't surprised to see he rated me last for sportsmanship ... oh well ... I tried to cheer him up ... heck I was actually silently cheering him on for about the last 4 turns. Got last place from another oppponent at the Chaos Cup who I set up on my turn 8 of the 2nd half for the last turn of the game in a formation solely meant to CAS one of his players for the 5 bonus points that it meant. It worked. He wasn't amused as I set up everyone on the LOS and had no one back to even try to catch the ball or pick it up.

All that said .. I still think sportsmanship is important for an overall best coach award ... but I'm willing to remove it from the 1st and 2nd place decisions for my next tournaments.

Galak

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 05:07 AM

Undisclosed
And both those example show to me why sportsmanship is a bad way of decideing tournaments. Neither of those 2 examples galak listed are worthy of "marking down" imo. I expect someone to go for TD or Cas, especially in a scoring system where they count. To mark someone down for doing so is imo, more unsporting than the actual onfield event.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 05:16 AM

England
No I think his examples show the big flaw in a sportsmanship system that forces you to rank your opponents rather than mark them critically on their actual level of sportsmanship.

Jonny_POffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 01:06 PM

United States of America
Galak, I would have loved to have a crack at those Iron Chefs! I tied against another Halfling team. Great game....damn those special seasonings!!!!!!!!

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 02:26 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
I wouldn't mark someone down for stalling, but I have no problem with deducting sportsmanship marks for it.

Would you deduct sportmanship marks for someone playing Skaven using their teams ability to score in one turn? What you call stalling I would call smart ball control.

I've played against a very strong Orc team that used ball control to win all of their games. They would always chose to kick off in the first half concede the score unless there was a quick turnover. Then get the ball back with plenty of time left to score in the first half. Start the second half with the score tied 1 - 1 use ball control to score with only 1 turn left. End result season champions.

I don't see how good tatics can be translated into poor sportsmanship. To me that would be name calling, making snide remarks and bragging.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 03:53 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
If you feel your opponent's on pitch tactics have effected your enjoyment of the game then I have no problem with you deducting sportsmanship marks as a result. The legality of those tactics is irrelevant.

Galak's opponent's I'd consider amazingly petty, but if they really felt his tactics reduced their enjoyment then its fair enough. In reality it sounds like they were both sore losers and were looking for any excuse to penalise someone who kicked their arse with 'flings. This is the fundamental problem with sportsmanship - people mark the game, not the opponent.

BTW Antony - I really like the idea of check boxes. However can you get a list of no more than say 5 questions that gives reasonable coverage? If so its worth including in the tournament pack.

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 04:07 PM

So it's not really sportsmanship that is at question. It's how much did you enjoy playing Bloodbowl against this person.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 07:49 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Doubleskulls wrote:
Galak's opponent's I'd consider amazingly petty, but if they really felt his tactics reduced their enjoyment then its fair enough. In reality it sounds like they were both sore losers and were looking for any excuse to penalise someone who kicked their arse with 'flings. This is the fundamental problem with sportsmanship - people mark the game, not the opponent.

Interesting note on the Chaos Cup to me.

I played 2 NAF coaches and 2 non-NAF coaches. The two non-NAF coaches marked me last for sportsmanship and the two NAF coaches gave me decent marks overall.

Both of the games against the non-NAF folks I had to explain a lot of rules to them. Now I try to be nice when I do this ... but when they both during the game questioned whether I actually knew the rule or not ... I said I was 100% sure but was more than willing to show them in the rulebook if they wanted to see it. NOW ... I "thought" I did this in a friendly and helpful manner ... but ... strong confidence in knowing the rules quickly can be twisted into arrogance. So playing two rookie coaches may have been a side effect of my sportsmanship points as well.

I'm glad to see the debate on the sportsmanship ... many thoughts on how to do this next year.

Galak

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 19, 2004 - 07:57 PM

I played in my first tournament recently (Death Bowl II) and I was a REAL rookie. My first game (Zombie I think) really took the time to patiently go over the rules with me, and even suggested some strategy. Most other coaches clearly explained the strengths and limitations of the team they were playing, and even provided some hints about how to exploit these limitations.

Clearly, these coaches deserved (and were awarded) high sportsmanship marks. If anything, I may have deserved lower ones, since I probably made thier games a little slow and boring! Kudos to these fine BB representatives!

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic