NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 25, 2024 - 09:55 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Turn 8. Remember to score. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Should be Nurgle's Rotters beefed up?
No they are fine as they are
64%
 64%  [ 46 ]
Yes, they need an apo (normal or limited)
7%
 7%  [ 5 ]
Yes, the rotters are too weak/expensive
14%
 14%  [ 10 ]
Yes, adjust the Rotters AND the apo availability
4%
 4%  [ 3 ]
Yes, but something different (post below)
9%
 9%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 71

NarkoticOffline
Post subject: Should be Nurgle's Rotters beefed up?  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 03:45 AM

I think that Nurgle's Rotters are even inferior to normal Chaos which means that it is not only the hardest team to start with but also has mid/long term problems due to being dependent on doubles (for the beastmen) and the higher chance to lose key players due to lack of apothecary.

Furthermore being stripped their ST4 Ball handler, the get less scoring capabilities, on top of that the Rotters are MA and AG -1 and you get FA and Regeneration for 10K more than the price of a CW. Even if this is ok in terms of player calculation is a bad trade off, as we all know how reliable regeneration is and how important Speed and Agility.

I suggest either tinkering around with the Apo (examples make it fail on a 1-2, or 1-3) and/or adjusting the Rotters in their price or statline. You may or may not increase the RR cost for that.

In their current state I feel them being only better than Flings and Goblins

What do you think?

Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject: Re: Should be Nurgle's Rotters beefed up?  PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 03:54 AM

Undisclosed
      Narkotic wrote:
In their current state I feel them being only better than Flings and Goblins.

Nothing worong in that. If you make the rotters better, then someone else will drop to this position.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 04:00 AM

I always thought that all teams should be roughly on the same level in terms of playing strength, without one or two being "only better than stunties". Nurgle's Rotters are weaker than the rest on the start, on mid and long term.

It would be enough to make them as competetive as normal Chaos, no other team would drop to this rank by that.

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 05:34 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Narkotic wrote:
I always thought that all teams should be roughly on the same level in terms of playing strength.

Not true. BB for a long time had 2nd tier teams. More challenging then stunties but not up with the other teams.

Vampires, Ogres, and Rotters are all meant by design to fall into this 2nd tier.

Galak

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 06:19 AM

If you want a better version of the Rotters, play Chaos.

-Chet

pfootiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 27, 2004 - 10:33 AM

I do agree that the game needs it's second tier teams. But if I were going to improve the rotters, I'd make the rotten beastmen have this statline:

Nurgle's Rotten Beastmen 6337 Regenerate, GSP 60k

This is a significant departure, since horns are an integral part of either Chaos team's strategy. On a whole, I'd say this would keep the team as a pretty bad one, but it might let the ballhandlers live a little longer.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  
Boblo_JellyrollOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 28, 2004 - 10:10 AM

How about giving them Nurglings? 0-4 Stunties with Foul Appearance would give the team a bit more dimension without changing any of the other existing players. Don't give them Dodge, so they aren't as dangerous as the Goblins on the Orc team, but FA makes them potentially safe as wide receivers.

I think the lack of an Apothecary shoud be an idiomatic disadvantage that the team has to overcome. It puts them halfway between Chaos and Undead, which seems about right.

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 28, 2004 - 12:51 PM

Well, no-one has taken the Rotters yet in a NAF tournament, so we don't know for sure how they perform Wink .

I'm guesssing that they will perform slightly worse than Chaos in the short term, that they will take even longer to develop than Chaos, but that they would be (perhaps) as good or better than Chaos in the long term.

The main weakness of the side is the lack of Apothecary and consequent high turnover of Beastmen. Their main asset is the Beast, who brings a pleasing new dimension to the game.

I have just begun playing with the Rotters in a little league, as well as against my son. The side appears competitive, especially against AG sides, but appears to struggle against ST or blocking sides (lack of reserves, lack of Block).

Picking the starting roster is a challenge. I started with the orthodox-looking:

1 Beast
1 Rotter
9 Beastmen
2 Re-rolls
9 Fan Factor

After 4 games, they still haven't been able to buy their second Rotter (they have had little option but to replace and add Beastmen). I might be inclined now to go with a more heretical starting roster:

1 Beast
4 Rotters
6 Beastmen
1 Re-roll
1 Fan Factor

That would at least be more resilient, and better able to defend (the key to BB, after all). It would also give a better chance for the Rotters to develop skills (like Black Orcs, they take an age to get their first skill).

The Beast is great fun to play, and is a key man (?) in defence. Cholmondely was lucky enough to get Pro on his first skill advance. If his next roll is not a double or stat increase, I plan to give him Break Tackle Very Happy .

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 29, 2004 - 08:45 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
Considering you are having trouble with replacing beastmen there is no way I would want to go with a fan factor one.

TutenkharnageOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 01, 2004 - 06:22 AM

A coach in my tabletop league recently created a new Rotters team. He went this route:

1 Beast (120K)
10 Beastmen (600K)
3 TRRs (210K)
7 FF (70K)

This roster seems good to me. He can add Rotters ASAP, and he can get them from Beast kills if he's lucky.

-Chet

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 01:32 AM

As far as I have understood the position of the two BBRC members who have posted in this thread, it's: "the Nurgle's Rotters are underpowered but that was meant to be that way, so no improvement needed."
Well, it's a position, but frankly, I do not like the idea 2nd tier teams and I guess it's hardly impossible to make you change your mind on this. Cool

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 04:01 AM

Well, the vast majority seems to agree with them according to the poll, so it's not just those two BBRC members!

Also, remember that this team can get quite overpowered in the long term if injuries don't keep them in check.

NarkoticOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 04:59 AM

Yes, I actually had been thinking that more people would feel like myself in this matter. Well, I seem to be on the wrong track, but only 16 votes cast so far, maybe the pendulum swings the other side when the number of votes reach a more convincing amount.

Anyway, I mentioned the BBRC member's position bc. if some of them feel as decided on a matter as they do, than this is a clue that there will be no tweaking of the Nurgle's Rotters for a long time...

I posted the poll here and not at TBB bc. I wanted to hear what BBRC membrs say to this issue, in order to have a perspective what to except.

(A poll at TBB would have certainly raised more votes in overall, though)

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 02, 2004 - 09:56 AM

England
The 2 Rotters teams in my league are amongst the most powerful. One was helped by starting with a S6 Beast though. However I am far from convinced that they need improving in any way.

As for starting teams, I think that they both took a middle ground to Smeborg's 2 extremes. They both started with a Beast and 2 or 3 Rotters.

McDethOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 03, 2004 - 06:35 AM

Dont think this team needs any leg up at all, 4 starting players with Foul Appearance and regenerate makes them competitive enough. they play totally different to the std Chaos team due to their ability to harry ball handlers and receivers with Foul Appearance

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic