NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 11:34 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Blitzer pigs are overpowered. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 22, 2004 - 06:02 AM

Canada
I am looking for some thoughts on one of the issues with the rules for this pitch.

On a result of '5' (or possibly '12' on the kick off table, there is a zombie that will emerge to attack the players on both sides. Should the zombie be, as it is written now, removed if knocked over, or rather should he be as a regualr zombie, and continue to harry and harrass unless Ko'ed injured or the half ends or a touchdown scored?

I do not want people to be complaining of the zombie at the tourney that it really upset the game. However, in my trial game with Bikerbob, I was attacked by the zombie, but then dodged away, leaving one of his chaos dwavres the closer target who was promptly attacked and then fouled! It was a great moment!

But would appreciate some thoughts on this matter in particular.

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Reply with quote Back to top
KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 03:52 AM

Undisclosed
My two cents on the Trees/Lightning thing...wouldn't the tree's be the hightest point and therefore be the spot that the lightning to strike?

Didn't your parents ever tell you to stay away from trees in a lightning storm? Smile

Without reading the rules and all of the previous posts, might it not be fun if the big guys were the first targets of this? ZZZZZZZZAAAAAAP!!! The Troll gets fried!!! Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 05:18 AM

England
Have you considered making these Zombies a feature of the gravestone markers? So they don't move away, just attack any player adjacent to them. Maybe a ST3 block no assists (defensive or offensive) or foul on each player at the start of each coach's turn? Perhaps it could give the gravestones tentacles and a special diving tackle where it is never placed prone (so can use it as many times as it has opportunities). What do you think, any good?

If you do go for any of this then I think the result should apply to all the gravestones and not just one.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 05:46 AM

Canada
The gravestones are a bit of a nuisance now as it is. To have them "attacking" every player who comes within their tackle zone would probably be a bit much. Especially with Diving Tackle and Tentacles! Much of the pitch would be considered pretty much impassible! The only solution to this would be less gravestones, and I like having more - to really give the sense of a pick up game in a graveyard.

I was worried about the zombie being too much of a nuisance with being allowed to make armour rolls. I certainly don't want to make it worse for the players than it is!

The zombie who comes up is linked to the graves in that if/when he comes out he will emerge from one of the grave markers.

An interesting idea Mordredd, but I think that it would have to be a house rule for a one off game.

@Lagerbottom The big guy idea is good - it was kind of tossed around w.r.t. the trees during the first playetst. However how would you feel if you were playing your flings, and I had no big guys? Then if lightining struck, you would always be the one getting zapped. Sucks to be you! In the interest of enjoyment for both players, I would rather forget the lessons from mother.

http://ca.photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/qermitt/vwp?.dir=/Graveyard&.src=gr&.dnm=Orcs+Vs.+Chaos+in+1st+Game!.jpg&.view=t&.done=http%3a//ca.photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/qermitt/lst%3f%26.dir=/Graveyard%26.src=gr%26.view=t

Spazz

TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 06:29 AM

Undisclosed
If you want the zombies to be a mobile hinderance but not effect the game too much - lower their strength to 2 or 1 so most any player can deal with them, if they spend an action to do so. However make any CAS roll of KO or worse just stuns them (they just keep coming...). Also, give any zombie on the board a FOUL action to simulate trying to eat the brains of a stunned player. This should make them annoying and somewhat worthwhile to get rid of, but not over the top.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 06:39 AM

Canada
When you look at a normal zombies they are not great in their own right, and considering the fact that these zombies are not always on the field, makes it more liveable.

In the rules I did state the zombie would foul once the player was down to simulate his attempt to eat the brains of the fallen player.

Lowering the strength might be an idea, or even the armour, but I do not think that I would want to have him only stunned, and never going away - I want him to be a nuisance, not an in-law!

Spazz

TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 07:48 AM

Undisclosed
I was thinking along the lines of them being a nuisance, but fairly difficult to get rid of once and for all. Perhaps a low armour and/or strength but Thick Skull to keep them on the pitch?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 08:14 AM

Canada
Well keep in mind that this zombie is just a kick off result. In a normal game the kick off result has no lasting effect that last on the field. For this reason I would not want to keep the zombie on the field any longer than he has to be. I was toying with the idea of having him removed if he is even knocked down (a very tenacious hold on his re-animation). I mean, if a regular BB zombie doesn;t have thick skull, why should a kick off result zombie?

Sounds like a great B-movie zombie effetc, but I gotta disagree with you on this one for game balance. Again as a house rule, maybe, for the tourney - no.

Spazz

P.S. Do you think you will be coming out to the tourney to experience the graveyard 1st hand? Smile

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 08:16 AM

Canada
Well keep in mind that this zombie is just a kick off result. In a normal game the kick off result has no lasting effect that last on the field. For this reason I would not want to keep the zombie on the field any longer than he has to be. I was toying with the idea of having him removed if he is even knocked down (a very tenacious hold on his re-animation). I mean, if a regular BB zombie doesn;t have thick skull, why should a kick off result zombie?

Sounds like a great B-movie zombie effetc, but I gotta disagree with you on this one for game balance. Again as a house rule, maybe, for the tourney - no.

Spazz

P.S. Do you think you will be coming out to the tourney to experience the graveyard 1st hand? Smile

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 10:57 AM

England
Ok, why not have the gravestones do some sort of one time attack on an adjacent player then? Say all those (or maybe just one random) next to a suitably determined single grave for the lesser result and the same but for all the graves for the more powerful version. That way you really do have no effect beyond the kick off.

For the attack you could have stunned on a 6+ (or whatever number you like), or AV/INJ rolls or blocks of whatever strength.

[Oh, and you don't mean tenacious do you? That's "Holding together, cohesive; tough; not easily pulled in pieces or broken". Although a Zombie that's still coming after you terminator style with only one arm, a head and a torso left would be quite funny.]

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 11:58 AM

Canada
      Mordredd wrote:
[Oh, and you don't mean tenacious do you? That's "Holding together, cohesive; tough; not easily pulled in pieces or broken". Although a Zombie that's still coming after you terminator style with only one arm, a head and a torso left would be quite funny.]

You're right, the word I meant was "tenuous" - very slight and fragile; eaily broken.

The ideas that are coming out are interesting, but I think the main points to consider are that:

a) I am trying to making this a "normal" game of Blood Bowl with a slight twist.

b) The more rules I have, the more confused people will get in the tourney.

c) I do not want the gravestones to rule the game.

The rules suggested sound like fun and would be great for a one off game, but I would hesitate to introduce them in a tournament, for the reasons stated above.

However, with this type of special pitch you could even use your regular BB board and just make gravestone markers. Smile

Spazz

TorporOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 01:57 PM

Undisclosed
I would say anything in that case, anything that sends the Zombie off the board for any reason should keep him off the board (pushed into the crowd, KO or worse). You might want to include as well - if a player knocks the zombie into a gravestone (pushback or better on the block dice), the zombie is shoved back into his grave. This means that if the players move quickly enough, the zombie can be a one turn minor effect or it can move gradually away from the grave and be more of a pain. In any case at the end of the half or the drive, the undertakers come onto the pitch and knock back into his lodging.

How does that work?

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 24, 2004 - 03:42 PM

Canada
Now that's more like it!

I especially like the idea of the zombie being pushed back into his grave!

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 25, 2004 - 01:04 PM

Canada
The rules have been updated and re-posted at the beginning of this thread.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Dec 01, 2004 - 06:28 PM

Canada
Here is an image of the graveyard pitch in it's first playtest game:

Thanks to Darkson for helping me figure out the image function!

Spazz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic