NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 09:16 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Blood Bowl is a rough sport, people get hurt! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
garthOffline
Post subject: 6 turn halfs to make game faster?  PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 12:05 PM

Does anyone have any comments on the pros and cons of reducing a half to six turns? I am trying to find a way to ensure a game lasts less than two hours...

"Ohhhh, what I'm gonna do to you...." Ren Hoek

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Reply with quote Back to top
Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 12:26 PM

Undisclosed
Pro: Quicker games

Con: Negates (partially) one of the stregnths of bashy teams.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 12:44 PM

Quote:

Con: Negates (partially) one of the stregnths of bashy teams.

No pun intended?!? Wink

Thanks for the feeback. Good points!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 03:25 PM

A very bad idea. Just play faster, you OMM impersonator!

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 03:55 PM

Zombie wrote:

Good advice, but the reason I am asking is that I am planning to run a BB mini-tourney at [url]Cangames[/url] and I may be faced with coaches who have little experience with the game. Since the games are blocked into 4 hour slots, I have the choice between 1 loooooooooong game or 2 games played quickly...

OMM ? Sorry, I don't get the reference -- I'm a noobie.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 03:56 PM

Zombie wrote:

Good advice, but the reason I am asking is that I am planning to run a BB mini-tourney at www.Cangames.ca and I may be faced with coaches who have little experience with the game. Since the games are blocked into 4 hour slots, I have the choice between 1 loooooooooong game or 2 games played quickly...

OMM ? Sorry, I don't get the reference -- I'm a noobie.

Zombie
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 04:22 PM

You can usually reserve as many slots as you want and then manage your time within those slots as you see fit.

Old Man Monkey is the guy who is typically last to finish his game every round at any tournament where he goes. But we still like him! Razz

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 04:54 PM

Zombie wrote:
You can usually reserve as many slots as you want and then manage your time within those slots as you see fit.

Great idea -- I'll look into this.

Quote:
Old Man Monkey is the guy who is typically last to finish his game every round at any tournament where he goes. But we still like him! Razz

Ha, ha! Sounds like me at Death Bowl II! But that was simply 'cause I didn't know the rules very well...

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 07:18 PM

Toronto, ON
Hey garth, where about is that tourney being held?

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 07:19 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
One way is to play Resurrection rules (one skill per game, no carry over of injuries. The only pre-game is weather, the only post game the skill allocation). That saves ~15mins per game and substantially reduces book keeping for your coaches.

Reducing the number of turns in a half isn't a good idea, and if you want to play quick games then consider playing 7s or Streetbowl or Beach BB instead.

garthOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 28, 2004 - 08:12 PM

AnthonyTBBF wrote:
Hey garth, where about is that tourney being held?

Hi Anthony,

Cangames is in Ottawa in May. It has been running since 1977 (with a few breaks for various reasons). Great con.

Several years ago, I offered to run a BB mini-tourney (using 2nd edition rules?) but that didn't happen. After returning to the con after a long absence, I noticed that there was lots of GW games but no BB. So, I have tentatively offered to run one.

I expect that I will attract BB coaches from the area. In fact, if all coaches are experienced, this would make my life significantly easier. Alternately, I may run a 'demo' earlier in the con and request all new players to come to that before the actual games.

My tentative plan is to run 3 sessions with 4 teams each. Each session would last (according to the con schedule) 4 hours, which then requires each game to last no more than two hours (hence this post). Zombie suggested that I book several sessions in a row and just organize my time that way, but I don't know if I can do that. I also cannot have too many games at once (hence the 4 coaches per session), like a normal tourney due to limited space at the con. At this con, there are usually three dozen different games playing at any one time.

Each team would play two games. Probably 1st game random draw, 2nd game winner play winner (and loser play loser). Standings depend on points. At the end of the con, there would be a playoff (with the top team or teams participating).

I ALSO want to run a mini-tourney around home (Chesterville, ON) for coaches in Ottawa and Montreal (or anywhere else, but Chesterville is between these two!). I am currently requesting feedback from several players in the area to determine interest. My (tentative) plan is to run it as early as Dec. 18/19 but I would consider putting it off until Jan. or Feb. since there are no other tourneys in Canada until March.

I have not considered if I should post these tourneys here, or if I should apply for NAF 'sanctioning'. Should I? How do I go about doing that? Who should I contact? Any other advice or suggestions?

I am also running a similar tourney at my school for my students, mostly as a trial run for these other two, but to attract more youth to BB.

Sorry, I guess I should have PMed you about this -- I'm just replying to your post!

AnthonyTBBFOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 07:14 AM

Toronto, ON
No problem, that's what the forums are for.

You can PM sputnik about sanctioning, he'll give you the details. I would suggest waiting a few months before doing a tourney. There will be one in February and march out this way, May would be a good time.

Demo games are a good way to go, we did something similar at Games Day a couple of years ago and we generated a lot of interest.

Orion Cup - June 8, 2013

RawMessiahOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 - 01:03 AM

Doubleskulls wrote:
One way is to play Resurrection rules (one skill per game, no carry over of injuries. The only pre-game is weather, the only post game the skill allocation). That saves ~15mins per game and substantially reduces book keeping for your coaches.

Reducing the number of turns in a half isn't a good idea, and if you want to play quick games then consider playing 7s or Streetbowl or Beach BB instead.
yes, BB 7's is excellent for faster games as you don't have to write down SPP, look up the gate (after the game) etc.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jun 17, 2005 - 03:40 PM

Undisclosed
      RawMessiah wrote:
yes, BB 7's is excellent for faster games as you don't have to write down SPP, look up the gate (after the game) etc.

Umm, you don't do that in resurrection style tournaments either.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

BuggritOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Sep 26, 2006 - 06:59 AM

In your dugout pimping your cheerleaders!
Enforce the 4 minute turn rule = shorter games.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic