NAF Logo
leftstar Apr 27, 2024 - 10:00 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Griff fancies Zara! Heard it from Varag..... rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MordreddOffline
Post subject: OFAB alternative, comments please.  PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 09:53 AM

England
I've been thinking about another alternative recently (because I really dislike the whole vampire-as-crack-whore thing going on with OFAB as it is now).

Basically they would treat every player (except other Vampires and vampire Thralls) as having foul appearance. This would represent the opposition doing things like bathing in garlic, getting their armour blessed, getting their spikes silver plated or made of wood, wearing a ton of holy symbols and drinking lots of holy water. This would stack like foul appearance, and indeed stack with foul appearance. (Perhaps even forcing a Vampire who wants to block a foul appearance player to roll 2+ twice?)

Vampires would not have stab with this, and the star player Lord types available to the teams would ignore it (he's too powerful).

Perhaps the team shouldn't have access to an apothecary either.

I was thinking of putting this to my (vault) league to try out but would appreciate any feedback from here. So any comments?

(I also posted this on BB.com)

Reply with quote Back to top
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 10:31 AM

Canada
I too am not crazy about the overwhelming OFAB rules. I like your analogy of the crack whore, as it makes them look that desperate.

I like the team, love the models, but this whole OFAB rules is a HUGE downside.

I thought that maybe it could be like a bonehead roll, in that if they roll the 1, then they must roll again, a second 1 and then they are OFAB. Otherwise they are trying to resist the urge and are for all purposes, "bonehead".

Alternatively, the dice could be rolled just once. The "1" would indicate a bloodlust. As such the vampire eiether loses a turn in trying to control it, or if he is really needed, can end his movement next to a thrall for the appropriate OFAB snack.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

GrumbledookOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 10:40 AM

i love the current OFAB its the best rule in the game and its what makes the team fun to play

this would also make the team impossible to use for passing plays and cut a lot of spp out from not being able to make blocks

I think it would remove the fun that a lot of people have with the OFAB as it is and make the team even more frustrating to play

Jon

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 10:47 AM

Canada
      Grumbledook wrote:
i love the current OFAB its the best rule in the game and its what makes the team fun to play

Shocked

Score one for the massochists! Wink

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 10:59 AM

2-0 for the masochists, check the Rules section Vampire
Don't play Vamps if you want the rules to be easy on you.

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:42 AM

Undisclosed
Add another one. I really enjoy playing the Vamps, and imo the OFAB is what makes the team worth playing, stops it being samey.

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:44 AM

Canada
Suddenly all these vampire coaches coming out of the closet! Any of you care to help me out by giving some tips on how to play the team? Check out the thread in the "Strategies and Tactics" section.

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:55 AM

What was the point in coming out when we weren't even "in" (as in "not official")?
Hope my bit of advice in the "Strategies" can help a bit, but don't expect much from a masochist Wink

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:56 AM

Undisclosed
Pro frst, unless you roll a double or Stat. try as hard as you can to score and Cas with the Thralls, you need them to skill up, else your Vamps will suck (sorry!) up all the SPP's.

And if you get a handicap roll, pray for Ironman. A thrall that can't be hurt? Time to bring out all the Vamps then! Wink

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

GalakStarscraperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 11:56 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

United States of America

Spazzfist wrote:
Suddenly all these vampire coaches coming out of the closet! Any of you care to help me out by giving some tips on how to play the team? Check out the thread in the "Strategies and Tactics" section.

Add one more to the category of thinking this is the best set of Vampire rules ever.

Galak

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 29, 2004 - 01:13 PM

Canada
Well maybe this new team is an acquired taste! (No pun intended)!

the team is very new to me and with the low AV the thralls just seem to getting sandwiched horribly! (I am going to hate to se what happens when I play a bashy team!)

To be honest, I am still very new to the team, so I will not say any more until I have more experience under my belt.

Spazz(fang?)

Orc or Vampire

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 - 07:58 AM

England
Well thanks everyone for voting for your favourite Vampire rules, but that is not what I was asking for. I didn't want a critique on whether this idea was any good as a replacement for the official rules; I wanted a critique on whether this would overpower the team when used as a house rule. You know, just in my own league.

I have long wanted a Vampire team with actual Vampires in it. You know the stuff of horror films. To me OFAB gives them the character of something from the worst excesses of slapstick comedy. They're blood drinking clowns with the sinister part of the blood drinking getting totally swamped by the clownishness. Sorry but I absolutely will not use the official team.

What I am trying to do is get myself an alternative rules set for use in my home league that is reasonable, even if it's not in your estimation the best going. The alternative is that I use my rather large number of converted Vampires as coaching staff/star players.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 - 08:20 AM

Canada
Sorry to get it so off topic!

Looking again at the rules that you propose, it is nice for the fluff aspect, but I would try playtresting it a few times before committing yourself to those rules. To my mind, with every player on the opposition having FA, it may seriously hurt the vamps chance of doing anything. I think it sounds a bit extreme (from what I read).

Why would you not want them to access an apothecary? To my mind the vampires would want to ensure that their "pets" are taken care of and availablet to them.

Just my two cents.

Spazz

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 - 08:58 AM

England
That's ok Spazz, you did ask for help and tactics in the other thread.

And yes it may have too much effect in a scrum, but in spread out play would it have enough? It certainly wouldn't stop the Vampires picking up the ball deep without interference and then running it through to score. It still stops blocks/blitzes on a 1 but doesn't then cause the injury-to-Thrall/turnover which is harsher (obviously), and has no effect on just moving. That's why I'm not sure it does enough. This is why I speculated that no apothecary might be a good idea. Plus it would also bring the team in line with the Undead and Necromantic team in having non-regenerate players that can't be saved by other means.

And to my mind the Vampires wouldn't care about the "pets". They could get horribly squished for all they care just as long as they come out of the game looking good. (In fact I can really see a Vampire pushing a hapless Thrall in front of a raging wild animal to save himself from harm.)

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Nov 30, 2004 - 10:00 AM

Canada
Well what if the vampires don't have an apothecary on the team, but the vamps also don't have regenerate (per se). Any injury suffered by the vampires can be passed onto a thrall at the beginning of the next drive. This still has them eating their "pets" but is not as harsh as the OFAB.

If you go the FA route, then I would suggest that you do not make it cumulative. Otherwise they will be pretty usless in a scrum.

Spazz

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic