NAF Logo
leftstar May 12, 2024 - 02:15 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Blood Bowl is a rough sport, people get hurt! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How Often do you foul in Tournements???
Loads !!!!!!
33%
 33%  [ 37 ]
A Couple of Times!!!!!
57%
 57%  [ 63 ]
Never!!!!
9%
 9%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 110

DukeJanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 03:29 PM

Netherlands
Still, even without the injuries counting the best defence is having no opponents on the pitch.

Reply with quote Back to top
Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 06:54 PM

United States of America
      Gortex wrote:
Many tourneys only count casualties that count for SPP's to count towards most casualties...(at least, the ones I've attended or thought about attending)

I thought Gen Con counted fouls.....

and that's the reason they should count. No one can whine about just getting absolutely mauled. there is a goal Smile

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 08:13 AM

Absolutely keep fouling! Casualties = SPP's, SPP's = New Skills, New Skills = Better Team, Better Team = More Wins/Less Losses, More Wins/Less Losses = More Fun!

Would you stop throwing passes or scoring TD's? Granted your not hurting your opponent but you would be losing valuable SSP's if you did. 2 points may not seem like much but how many times have you had a player that only needed 2 points to star up? Heck how many times have you had a player that only needed 1 point?

Bottom line it's part of the game and anyone that cries fowl over casualties is more of a poor sport than the person simply playing the game to win and make his or her team better. It's not like they are real player's getting permanently injured or killed they are citadel mini's and can always be used again.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 08:28 AM

Canada
      Disdane wrote:
Absolutely keep fouling! Casualties = SPP's, SPP's = New Skills, New Skills = Better Team, Better Team = More Wins/Less Losses, More Wins/Less Losses = More Fun!

Would you stop throwing passes or scoring TD's? Granted your not hurting your opponent but you would be losing valuable SSP's if you did. 2 points may not seem like much but how many times have you had a player that only needed 2 points to star up? Heck how many times have you had a player that only needed 1 point?

Bottom line it's part of the game and anyone that cries fowl over casualties is more of a poor sport than the person simply playing the game to win and make his or her team better. It's not like they are real player's getting permanently injured or killed they are citadel mini's and can always be used again.

Two problems with what you are saying there chum!

1) Most tourneys do not record SPPs - this thread is asking about fouling in tourneys

2) You do not get SPPs for casualties caused by fouls.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 12:37 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Yep - you don't get SPPs for fouling any more (which is a good thing).

mflabrancheOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 12:38 PM

For me, it depends on the structure of the tournament.
I want my opponents players fouled lightly enough for me to win. If I foul my opponent's best players into the grave, then their subsequent opponents will have an easy time of it without the trouble.

If we took the bones out, they wouldn't be crunchy . . .

mfl

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 01:57 PM

Nevermind I'm not used to playing in such forgiving leagues. Our local group of guys causalties count and they are permanent. I took the time to read the rules for tournament play at some of the upcoming events and now I understand.

All I can say is wow. I couldn't imagine playing Blood Bowl and not having to worry about casualties. Then again we play so often we don't really do swiss tourneys anymore we play a season like in the NFL and then have playoffs and a championship game.

I guess I can see why with swiss play but even back when we did do swiss style tourneys casualties were still permanent. Again all I can say is wow Blood Bowl without permanent casualties.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Canada
There are other threads which talk about the merits/faults of keeping casualties permanent during a tourney - check out "league style tournaments" in the Hosting Tournaments section.

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 11:25 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Disdane - when pepole talk about tournaments here they mean real life face-to-face events where people play about 6 games over a weekend.

DisdaneOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 05, 2005 - 08:19 AM

Yes I realize that. At the local game place where we used to play it was face to face over the weekend and casualties still counted. When we played swiss tourneys if you were going into game 2 with 3 missing the game due to injuries caused in the previous game it was tough but we still managed.

I can see the advantages of not letting casualties cross over to the next game. Each coach playing the full team put together by the other coach. I can also see the limitations it puts on coaches advancing their teams. Our tourneys points carried over so by your last game your team had actually developed rather than just playing the same base team over and over each game.

I'm not saying one way is better than the other. I'm just saying it's not how I'm used to playing Blood Bowl.

Da_ScumOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 13, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Undisclosed
I believe when running the Goblins fouling is just like voting; Do early! Do Often! Laughing

Heck Canadian Open back in 2003 in the five games the lads fouled a record 40 times, got only called twice and won the first arguement! After that Da Maggot Scum have the notorious reputation of "Firm but Fair" referees at all their tournaments. Worship

Is it my fault I make sure my ref is always a halfling? Rolling Eyes

The amazing side effect in tournies is whenever by some fluke the referee ejects the wrong player in the foul (i.e. My "innocent lads" Mr. Green ) and get my coach ejected as well for some reason Da Maggot Scum suddenly start playing like gods. It's led to the largest blow-outs I've won in tournie history...this makes me wonder if I should just have the coach ejected to start the game on principle! Very Happy

RyanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 14, 2005 - 11:42 PM

Canvey Island, Essex

Lets See

With My Halflings When ever There's some one on the floor (Its one of the Few times a Fling can hurt ANYONE)

With My Humans: When ver I think I can get away with it

With My Amazons: They Never got a chance to Foul at the Blood Bowl as when ever they managed to get an armour roll they made it which was enough to get the play OOA for a turn at least (managed to send Lord Borak to the Dead and Injured box in my 5th game its nice what you can do with 3 Amazon Blitzers with Guard)

Last edited by Ryan on Dec 31, 2005 - 02:17 PM; edited 1 time in total

TimOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 15, 2005 - 05:52 AM

Germany
Everything what Ian said Wink

PipeyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 16, 2005 - 04:49 AM

England
Voted for the "fouling occasionally" option.

There are certain players I would definitely foul when they're down and the ref istn watching and would think about fouling even if he is watching (Gutter Runners, War Dancers - to name two).

Other than that I will only tend to foul if the opportunity presents itself i.e. i have a free lineman, there's a guy on the deck with a few tackle zones and the ref ist watching.

The other occasion when fouling is a good idea is if my ball carrier ends his turn standing next to a prone player.

I'm not sure fouling high AV targets is necessarily a good idea, at least without Dirty Player. The number of players you'll need to guarantee that the chance of injury outweighs the odds of getting sent off is likely to leave you out of position.

And as for fouling being unsporting. That's just guff Very Happy ! All 6 actions are part of the game - move, block, blitz, pass, foul, hand-off. I've even heard people say they don't like to crowd surf cos they think it's unsportsmanlike!! What is the world coming too Shocked Shocked

AhmrikOffline
Post subject: Team Character  PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 - 01:11 PM

Hi,
If it's in my teams character then i will foul. If using my Norse or especially my Halflings then i will foul every time, regardless of the referee. It just seems apt.

-Danny-

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic