NAF Logo
leftstar May 04, 2024 - 09:20 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
For sale: Stadium... slightly used. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you paint your own teams?
Yes, always
79%
 79%  [ 84 ]
Yes, except for tournaments
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
About half the time
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
I started painting a team about half a year ago....
11%
 11%  [ 12 ]
Almost never
6%
 6%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 106

Graf_ArnhelmOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2005 - 11:59 PM

I always paint my figs myself, but money provided, I might have a copy of my first team painted by a pro.

IMO, pro painted teams have anther purpose than the ones you paint yourselves: the first are to display, the latter to play with.

As to an opponent asking to handle his figs himself: that's paranoia and poor confidence in the other player!
Such a player probably knows what is likely to happen to a BB fig (hence his reaction), but then he shouldn't take them to a game in the first place!

I would give such a player low grades for Sportsmanship in a tourney.

Reply with quote Back to top
IndigoOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 03:34 AM
Da Warboss

England
I'd only pay someone to paint my minis if I became really sick of the ever growing pile of unpainted minis Smile

I quite like the idea of at least having the chance of winning a painting prize if I go to a tourney. Provided Del isn't there Wink

NAF #60

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 06:44 AM

Undisclosed
Ok...then perhaps I should tweak my stance. Given that all NAF sanctioned events are "open" to folks of all ages, etc. perhaps I would say to my younger opponents that only I can handle my models. (However, this might be seen as age discrimination.)

For example...at my first tournament...I had an opponent that was a 13 year-old girl. (The daughter of one of the other tournament attendees.) When I injured one of her skinks because of a block she picked up my mini and dropped it from about a foot off of the table to the table surface. While my mind was trying to wrap itself around this...she did it again. (The additional bit of comedy here is that she did this while we played right next to her father...who said nothing.)

Whatever...I guess I will have to leave these guys at home. The ironic part is that I bought these boys to play with. Smile

Thanks guys for your candor in answering my question. And please know that you can use my dice anytime. (Assuming we are on the same continent at the same tourney. Smile )

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

GrasshopperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 08:12 AM

United States of America
1. Yes I paint all my figs. Painting was the main part of the Hobby for me for years. I hadn't played a game (Necromunda) since 91 until our recent Blood Bowl league started up. So 90% of the fun for me is at eh end of a loaded brush.
2. The definition of Pro Painted is way too broad - Just look at e-bay. Smile
3. I don't blame folks who are 'noid about they're nice minis... I mean they've put alo of time into them. And Stuff happens, at the Beantown Brouhaha I was looking at a new freshly finished Mordor Troll... being real careful... some kid comes in *bump*... Troll falls *BANG* arms go flying off. I thought the staff was gonna rip my arms off, but they were surprisingly cool about it.

GrasshopperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 08:27 AM

United States of America
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
When I injured one of her skinks because of a block she picked up my mini and dropped it from about a foot off of the table to the table surface. While my mind was trying to wrap itself around this...she did it again. (The additional bit of comedy here is that she did this while we played right next to her father...who said nothing.)

-Rob

Shocked WHAT!!!! Shocked you injured her Skink and she tossed your fig around? I think I know who you're talking about, and age or no, I would let her have it. If it is who I'm thinking about, she didn't seem too into the game, and def not as insanely into the mini's as the rest of us.

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 09:42 AM

Canada
Shocked

Yeah, when I read it, I misread and thought that she was dropping her skink! I thought, oh well, whatever. But if she did thatto one of my figsI would have a fit!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 10:03 AM

Undisclosed
Yep...I was going to blow it off after the first time because it was game 3 of the first day, and she had lost three times pretty convincingly. She actually was not acting her age for most of the day, but I think the loses maybe made her attention span and crankiness level a little less than optimal. (I was actually a bit more bothered by the dad who did not correct her for this...but whatever.)

She was better the next day, and when I played her dad she actually commented to her dad that I was a good sport and that she enjoyed playing me. (Water under the bridge.) BUT...If I would have been playing with a pricey Pro-Painted level team and she had done this...lets just say I would have been a little bit more unhappy...and possibly had a screwed up model on my hands.)

I can only imagine what some of my opponents will want to do to these guys aftre the gobbos start applying the boot to their stars. Orc

-Rob

EDIT: I only beat her 1-0. Embarassed She kept it close up until that point and I then was in "Lets get this game over before she does some real damage" mode. Smile

NAF Member #5236
---

SBGOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Canada
I have one team fully painted and "tournament-ready", so I play them! I'd really like to have more time and paint more, but hey! That's life! And I'm having a craving for painting D&D minis nowadays, with the new quest and all (insert D&D geak joke here!!).

@Karl (Rob): I would have been so bad if someone would purposedly toss my minis! At the Death Bowl, I was playing against skaven (Clan-Skaven I think: all 2nd edition Skaven, wonderfully painted) and I accidentally slapped one of his lineman that went flying, like 20 feet! I felt SOOOOOOOOOOOO bad! I mean, the next day I was still excusing myself. If I remmeber correctly, the fig wasn't in a bad shape though, afterward.

To answer your question: I wouldn't mind another player asking me not to touch his minis. I'd ask him not to Block mine in return ! Wink

Fred

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 12:28 PM

Canada
      SBG wrote:
(Clan-Skaven I think: all 2nd edition Skaven, wonderfully painted)

Wonderfully painted? Couldn't have been clan-skaven! Laughing

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

EsrikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Atlanta, USA
      Spazzfist wrote:
      SBG wrote:
(Clan-Skaven I think: all 2nd edition Skaven, wonderfully painted)

Wonderfully painted? Couldn't have been clan-skaven! Laughing

Razz

EthrylainOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 02:00 PM

I paint all my miniaturs myself, the only problem is that the miniatures come in faster then I get them painted

EsrikOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Atlanta, USA
      Ethrylain wrote:
I paint all my miniaturs myself, the only problem is that the miniatures come in faster then I get them painted

Ahh, the gamers curse! That's a whole other topic in itself! [Smile]

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 03:15 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
The only reason I have any pro painted teams is that I'm a rubbish painter and some tournaments have inclusive painting scores...

biggyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 03, 2005 - 11:32 PM

Undisclosed
Dropping a figure is nothing. I actually had some loser tip over a table full on minis when he lost a rules decision at a Warhammer tournament. Talk about a D*#khead. At the time I was pretty young and quite frankly gobsmacked that anyone would do that so I just started quietly picking up my minis and inspecting damage. Guess what he got for sportsmanship??

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 04, 2005 - 12:00 AM
Da Boss

United States of America
      Quote:
Guess what he got for sportsmanship??

A kick in the groin?

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic