NAF Logo
leftstar May 05, 2024 - 02:20 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
It's like chess only... different. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BevanOffline
Post subject: First Australian Blood Bowl Sevens Championship  PostPosted: Feb 02, 2005 - 01:53 AM

I was waiting for Babs to announce the results of this event, but he's probably busy typing in the CanCon results, so here's a quick summary.

For those who've forgotten the recent explanation, there are 7 players from each team on the pitch (2 on LOS) and 6 turns per half. The number of position players is halved, rounding down (so no Big Guys or Stars) and teams have 650,000 gps to start. Normal team progression applies.

We had time for 5 rounds (over 10 hours including a lunch break). Babs (and his wife) kindly agreed to allow their house to be overrun by Blood Bowl players for the entire day (and night).

Babs (Lizardmen) beat my High Elves in the first round. Then a few games later my son Michael's Skaven beat Babs. In the last round I beat Michael. All three of us had one draw and three wins in the other games so the three of us tied for first place with 3 wins, one draw and a loss and no obvious way to separate first place. We had carelessly failed to agree on a tie-breaking system beforehand, assuming that the results would be obvious. Rolling Eyes

I suggested using TDs-for divided by TDs-against (guess who had most TDs Laughing ). Babs insisted on a rematch against Michael, and I insisted on a rematch against Babs (I was playing High Elves after 7 CanCon games with Skaven and I claim I hadn't adapted to the different game Rolling Eyes ). However, several of us needed an early start next day so we agreed not to play the rematches that evening.

Comments on Sevens Blood Bowl.
I had only played 3 games under these rules before and had not appreciated the differences. There is less chance to recover from mistakes (or bad luck). You just don't have spare players to cover your pickup zone, the square you will pass from and the receiver's zone. If you drop the ball anywhere it is likely to be stolen and out of reach on the next turn. And if you lose a couple of players you are really struggling to keep anyone out.

This may mean that the game is more subject to random effects (hence my loss to Babs Rolling Eyes ) but it also means that a good coach can more easily take advantage of a minor error by the opponent (must be why Babs beat me Embarassed )

I enjoyed the games and I expect this to be an annual event. I notice that the Australia Day holiday next year is the day before CanCon starts so I plan to be there for next year's National 7s Championship. Laughing

Reply with quote Back to top
smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2005 - 03:54 AM

Hi Bevan -

Be sure to give us lots of notice - I'd like to attend next year.

So what are the dates of CanCon and the 7s?

Thanks

Smeborg

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Feb 02, 2005 - 04:30 AM

smeborg wrote:
Hi Bevan -
Be sure to give us lots of notice - I'd like to attend next year.
So what are the dates of CanCon and the 7s?
Thanks
Smeborg

Babs had announced the Sevens event a month or so ago on this site. However, I must admit he never referred to it as a National event, although he made it clear anyone still in Sydney after CanCon was welcome.

It will be up to Babs if and when it is riun next year. I'm just trying to encourage hime to make it an annual event. It might need to be a totally different time, although the Thursday before CanCon in Canberra might make sense.

According to Babs in another post, CanCon 2006 will start on Friday 27 January (the day after the Australia Day Public Holiday and will end on Sunday, not the Monday. Friday is not a public holiday but there is an Australian habit of taking a day off between any holiday and the nearest weekend Rolling Eyes so no-one will need to be at work on the Friday. Laughing

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2005 - 03:07 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Remind me closer to time and I'll consider another sevens tourney around the same time.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2005 - 04:46 PM

I'd like to give it a go - I was in the middile of moving when Cancon came round this year - hopefully moving will happena bit later next year.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 12, 2005 - 07:39 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Just a reminder that the 7's competition (rather than a tournament) is not NAF approved or ranked. It's just for BB enthusiasts wanting to play each other in 7's.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic