NAF Logo
leftstar May 09, 2024 - 05:23 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Any day now. rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2005 - 05:35 PM

Philly Phrakus was a 110 TR event - I took High Elves with 2 Dragon Warriors, 4 Lion Warriors, 1 Phoenix Warrior and 5 Lineman.

First game, Val's "Reign of Terror" - Chaos team. Game starts with a Pitch Invasion that hits both people he has back to get the ball. Fortunately, it bouces up to the line and is caught by a Chaos Warrior. It was that kind of a game... He gets 2 early casualties, but I score and make a couple of crazy 2 die against blocks to pop the ball out.

Final Score: 3-0 for, Casualties 0-5 against

Second game vs Rob's "Crimson Critters" - a nasty little Skaven team. Rob scores quickly, but casualties keep pace fairly even on both sides. Key play of the game is an Elven defensive score in the 2nd half that breaks the game open. The Skaven retaliate by getting a Casualty on the last play of the game.

Final Score: 3-1 for, Casualties 4-3 against

Third game vs Kent's "The Juggers" - Ogres. Ogres at 110 are nasty. Fortunatley, we had the agility to dodge away, and a tackle player to exploit the Gobbos. The Ogres pull off a pair of TTM's, but it isn't enough to keep pace with Dragon and Lion speed.

Final Score: 6-2 for, Casualties 3-2 against

Fourth game vs Gken's Skaven. Ugh. Ken's a great coach, had a Claw Rat Ogre I couldn't handle, and had 4 Gutter Runners. Not much defence played in this game, and the one defensive score made all the difference. A second Quick Snap for Ken very nearly gets him a second one turn score and a tie, but triple both down hit by the RO ends the game. With a Casualty. Smile

Final Score: 5-4 for, Casualties 3-1 agaisnt

Fifth game vs Gken's Skaven. Again. We were still tied in total points, so a rematch for the championship. This game featured less scoring, but thankfully also less casualties on our poor Elves. The gamebreaker turned out to be a perfect defence for the Elves - a Gutter Runner is forced to dodge away, and rolls double 1's to give us a shot on the ball and a quick score.

Final Score: 4-3 for, Casualties 1-0 against

Special thanks to the Harrisburg Mafia - (Mongo, Kent and all the rest) for putting Ken and myself up for a night and feeding us some excellent food. See you all in DC next time!

-Oscar Wilde

Reply with quote Back to top
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 18, 2005 - 05:37 PM

Just like to add -

My game against Val was probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played in any tournament. Val's a class act.

Mapquest does indeed suck mightily.

Pennsylvania needs to export potato chips badly.

-Oscar Wilde

bampfOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 09:44 AM

Harrisburg Mafia... I like the sound of that. Maybe we should make T-shirts.

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject: Phracked!  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 02:32 PM

Heh, that was an excellent tourney - everything that a BB tourney should be other then the lack of after hours socializing (I was a bit under the weather and had an apartment to look at on Sunday) - did I mention Jay's tourney was much better with the larger turn out? (at a 500% increase in size)

The game with Skummy set the tone for me at the Tourney - I was stunned at the elves ability (surely it was the elves and not Skummy) and despite a serious amount of casualties inflicted, he made the win look almost effortless (ok, so maybe it was his skill).

All the games were fun, and I have to thank Gken1 and Skummy for suggesting taking mutations - I'm sorry it did not last another round, I was thinking about tentacles next (will certainly need this against those little pouncey elves and the thrice damned vermin under dwellers). The sculpting was to help identify who had what mutations, and it was a bit of fun to watch as the players mutated and were truly 'gifted' by their lord (well, not gifted like Massive the Ogre was - never used so much GS on a codpiece.... but that is another story). But, I don't think I would have even taken those mutations if it was not for the DC Tourney Sharks suggestions and 'claw' gestures Very Happy

On a side note, the mutations were not all that unbalancing (without block on my blokes, it was still hard to get a hit in) and only made the difference a few times (the most notable was a Razor Sharp Claw against an opposing Chaos Razor Sharpie). I do hope this rule makes it into the GenCon tourney as well - I promise to bring some GS Wink

I was shocked at how many casualties the Skaven caused - I think the Various Veracious Vermin maintained an almost steady tie for the last few rounds - in fact, they all tied for second!!! Yes, chaos hung it's head low in shame for allowing that....

Thanks for the compliments from all - but it is mostly the crowd that plays this game that makes it so enjoyable, pretty easy to be a good sport and have a good time when you are playing with like minded people. All the games were amazingly fun, there were quite a few high drama moments (the Chaos on Chaos {Ranthorn} game was a riot - and it came down to a push into the endzone that rolled a 1, obviously the opposing team had a better sacrificial program then us). Being Italian, I am always looking to increase my collection of wooden spoons.. Laughing

All in all, it was a great bit of fun, and I hope to make it to DC for the next tourney, if only to enjoy the camaraderie !!!!

Last edited by Justin_Kase on Apr 19, 2005 - 03:02 PM; edited 1 time in total

RanthornOffline
Post subject: Chaos on Chaos...  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Was definitely an awesome game. It was definitely one of the best games I played simply cause of the 'chaotic' atmosphere that was at the game and Val was an awesome opponent! I should also move back to Harrisburg so I can become (rejoin?!) the Harrisburg mafia as well!!

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject: Re: Phracked!  PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 03:02 PM

Undisclosed
      Justin_Kase wrote:
Jay's tourney ... Being Italian...

Man as if being forgotten as Co-TO by a leaguemate wasn't bad enough...it had to be by my paisan as well...no respect.

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

Justin_KaseOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Heh, well at least you got to play, so Jay gets the Tourney Wink

More seriously, thank you both for organizing everything and tirelessly working to make the event so enjoyable - it paid off big time!

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 19, 2005 - 09:10 PM

Did anyone get pics of the 2nd place trophy? That had to be one of the most creative prizes I've seen.

-Oscar Wilde

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2005 - 12:04 PM

I realized yesterday that I forgot to do all the Thank Yous that I wanted to do at the end of the tournament. Embarassed (I'm not much of a Public speaker.) So I want to do them now.

First, and most important, I want to thank Rob (KarlLagerbottom) for the all the work he did for this tournament. Rob was pretty much 100% responsible for those great trophies we had. He also worked with GW to get our blurb in White Dwarf and to get the Venue. The tournament wouldn't have been half as good without Rob's contributions.

Thanks Rob.

Second, we had a few prize sponors who I completely forgot to bring up. Phil of www.phigsminiatures.com donated one of his great multi-part human teams (which Skummy snagged up pretty quickly Wink ). For those who don't know Phil has made several different "Elf Bowl" teams that work well as different Blood Bowl teams.

Rob, you'll have to help me with the other sponsor. Who gave us the secret weapon blisters?

Lastly, I need to thank Fat Cat Comics who donated their store to us for the tournament. I'm pretty sure no one from the store is a member here but I still wanted to get their recognition in. I'll make sure he is thanked.

Thanks to all of you who came to the tournament. It was the best NAF Blood Bowl tournament ever held in the Philadelphia Area. Wink

Last edited by jaylazer on Apr 20, 2005 - 06:36 PM; edited 3 times in total

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2005 - 12:04 PM

skummy wrote:
Did anyone get pics of the 2nd place trophy? That had to be one of the most creative prizes I've seen.

I've got some pictures of Ken holding it. I'll try to get them posted tonight or tomorrow.

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 20, 2005 - 06:20 PM

United States of America
Hey Jay, Torpor donated the secret weapons and the Phil's phigs.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 - 05:47 AM

Undisclosed
Yep...Torpor is the man. I had sent him a PM of thanks, but totally forgot to publicly thank him for his contribution.

Torpor thanks again for the awesome Secret Weapons minis, (I'm still pretty upset about not getting the Skeleton with the Chainsaw.) and you'll be glad to know that the blank dice also made a hit. One of the contenders for the Wooden Spoon told me in advance if he were to get them, he would have them done up with Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow Pow 's.

That's definately one way to get out of the cellar! Smile

Torpor thanks again...hopefully someone in the Astrogranite Office sees what you have to offer and finds a way to make use of your skills and ideas.

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Undisclosed
Ratings question...I see that the results and rankings are updated already after the Phrakus, but I have one quick question...will they retroactively be updated to reflect my Skaven results from a previous Tournement?

I played Skaven at the Three Kingdom's Challange a couple of month's back and those results have not been published yet. (Not a complaint...just as it matters to here do I even bring this up.) Given that I would have had a Skaven ranking going into this tourney, that should impact my opponents rankings. Will they dynamically update once the TKCs results are in, or is this something that needs to be done manually?

-Rob

NAF Member #5236
---

snew
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 - 10:56 AM

That's a good question and one of the reasnos OMM like tourney organizers to get their results in within a decent timeframe. Ironic huh? Razz TKC results should be posted soon, I'm guessing but I don't know if they'll affect the results already posted.

jaylazerOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 21, 2005 - 11:06 AM

From what I know, there is a "button" that updates the ratings.

Once OMM gets the results for the TKC in he can hit that "button" and the results will all be updated. So everything will be retroactively updated.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic