NAF Logo
leftstar May 11, 2024 - 05:24 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dead! Dead! Dead! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
KyrieOffline
Post subject: Losing with Wood Elves  PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 08:52 AM

I used to say that I play only for pleasure of gaming, but when you've got 80% of matches lost, a question comes up to my mind.... Would I ever win a match with a TR 100 Wood Elves team? Shocked

I start with a team like this:
1 WD
2 Catchers
8 Linemen
or
4 Catchers
7 Linemen

I have to say that luck is not a friend of mine. Razz

Reply with quote Back to top
MarcusOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 09:10 AM

1 Wardancer
10 Lineelves
2 RRs
8 FF

for a league team. Yet to see a starting WE league roster better.

As for winning - can't offer advice on how to win until you tell us how you're losing....

LongshotOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 09:17 AM

or
2 WD,
1 Catcher
8linelf
2RR
1FF(i know high FF would be better in a league but...)

martynqOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 09:22 AM

Longshot wrote:
1FF(i know high FF would be better in a league but...)

There are no "buts" about it. If you are playing wood elves in a league, 1FF is a dreadful choice - players will die and you will be unable to afford to replace them.

(1FF is fine in a tournament where players are miraculously healed after each match.)

Martyn

ohiohuskiesOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 11, 2003 - 02:07 PM

gotta agree with marcus here...started a wood elf team and thats what i went for...ff8=more cash Very Happy .
but if next years bb is no star players (which im rooting for) then a ff1 is fine with me Confused

KyrieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 12, 2003 - 09:57 AM

Marcus wrote:
As for winning - can't offer advice on how to win until you tell us how you're losing....

It's only a matter of bad luck....If a roll two dice in a block, I'm really sure that the result will end in a Skull-Skull. Well, you will say that I can RR, but another double skull will come to bring my player down. Also if I try to dogde or sprint or whatever I do, the player will fall.
Luck is a thing I've never met in almost 53 matches

dlb1969Offline
Post subject: Kyrie...  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 07:56 AM

United States of America
      Kyrie wrote:
      Marcus wrote:

It's only a matter of bad luck....If a roll two dice in a block, I'm really sure that the result will end in a Skull-Skull. Well, you will say that I can RR, but another double skull will come to bring my player down. Also if I try to dogde or sprint or whatever I do, the player will fall.
Luck is a thing I've never met in almost 53 matches

Well, I can certainly sympathize with you on having bad luck when it comes to die rolls and the like; even the ones in my favor. It always seems that if I go for something with less chance of success I make them, but when I go for those two die blocks or 2+ dodges, throws, etc. I will fail them 70% of the time. I played a dwarf team for the last two seasons in our league and I had no where near as many failed blocks, dodges, or throws, etc. with them as have with woodies. Give me an AG3 player and I can throw, dodge, and other things like I was playing an elf team. Give me a AG4 player with block, dodge, and leap and I'm struggling to get him to do anything right. I can't understand it and neither can my league mates. No matter what team I play I always seem to fail those critical maneuvers too. I have earned several nicknames in my league. Critical failure, fumble king, etc. The list goes on and I can't even keep up with them. I have managed to keep procducing pretty good records despite my bad die rolls though. With the dwarves, at least, I've ended up in the championship at the end of the year even though my regular season record wasn't great. It was always good enough to get me into the play offs. Hopefully I can get my woodie team going in the right direction this season. They are currently 1-4, though I did get stuck playing all experienced teams for the first 5 games due to my championship runner up status and us having an odd number of rookie teams this year. I ended up being the odd man out for rookie teams and had to play TR200+ teams with my rookie woodie team. I did manage one win, which is what I was shooting for in the first 5 games. I now start games vs. all the other rookie teams that entered the season with me; of course they aren't rookies anymore so I don't know if that's going to help me much.

Dave

dlb1969Offline
Post subject: Starting woodie team...  PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 08:01 AM

United States of America
You should never start a woodie team with less than 7FF in league play. Your players are just too expensive and break too easily for there to be any other choice. I would also suggest trying to get two re-rolls. I started this season with only 1 and I'm kicking myself because of it. I have recently bought my second one, but I would start with two if I could do it over.
I started my team with 2 wardancers, 9 line elves, 1RR, 8FF. While the wardancers are great starting players, they can't carry the entire team and the RRs are more important. You can win with a woodie team made mostly up of line elves and probably even one entirely of line elves.

Dave

KyrieOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 14, 2003 - 08:15 PM

dlb1969 wrote:

No matter what team I play I always seem to fail those critical maneuvers too

I don't have any problem doing suicidal maneuvers...my elves only fail the easiest rolls. I can make 5+ dodges, or passes at Long Bomb range that the woodie will roll a high result, but trying to dodge or the like, it will end in failure.
I won tough games (vs orcs, dwarves) rather than humans, skaven or haflings.

ApedogOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2003 - 12:45 PM

I would say try to minimise the number of dice rolls you make in a turn and go for the most important moves first. Plan for failure and make sure you've covered your back.

Remember that even the most skilled players (Wood Elves) can fail rolls. Sometimes if you make to many rolls or don't prioritise a failures can seem like constant bad luck, after all it is the dice's fault.

Make the safe moves when you can and the audacious one's when you have to and remember that bad luck can strike at any time.

Boom! He's on his back!

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2003 - 07:01 PM

A word about luck in Blood Bowl...

I think luck in BB is a bit like luck in poker - the best player still seems to win, regardless of the luck.

Although it's not always obvious, you need to plan for failure (I mean dice failure or "bad" luck). This thinking applies to player positioning (including set-up), order of moves, order of blocks, when in your turn to make the Blitz/Hand-off/Pass, etc. It needs experience to get these things right consistently.

The Woodies are a very versatile side - for example they can be played aggressively or conservatively (or both, but you have to pick your moment). The amount of choice available to the Woodies on each turn (because of their very high MA and AG) makes them more difficult to play well (I think) than most other races. But when you finally start getting the combinations right, it can be very satisfying.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 18, 2003 - 07:15 PM

Smeborg: I agree that generally the better coach wins, but when two very good coaches play against each other, it's often the dice that decide the game. Twice in the last year I've seen playoff games in which Count Luthor lost the whole thing becasue he rolled double while moving to tie the game. A bad run on the dice will cancel out good coaching. I'm sure some poker players out there have similar stories.

-Oscar Wilde

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2003 - 07:29 PM

Skummy -

I don't disagree entirely, but the example you give may be instructive.

Taking risks (e.g. going for it) with a Star Player is a good way to ensure that when bad luck strikes (e.g. a double 1), it will be really nasty.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

BevanOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 19, 2003 - 11:13 PM

smeborg wrote:
Taking risks (e.g. going for it) with a Star Player is a good way to ensure that when bad luck strikes (e.g. a double 1), it will be really nasty.

I agree. My impression is that Kyrie is rolling too many dice. Although elves usually succeed in everything they do, Rolling Eyes if you roll more than three 2+ rolls in a turn you'll probably get a premature turnover because you rarely have spare rerolls. Sad

Even players with dodge will fail surprisingly often if you dodge a lot, so overusing the wardancers causes big trouble.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2003 - 06:44 AM

In both cases, it was the action to take. Luthor had to go for it once to get into the end zone in turn 8 of the 2nd half of a playoff game to tie it up. (coach had a reroll.) The 2nd instance was a dungeonbowl semi-final game in which luthor had the ball and teleported next to a saurus and a Skink. He blitzed the skink off and had to dodge away from a Saurus to get into the EZ. It was the "right" move both time. Good coaches force you to throw as many dice as possible to beat them.

-Oscar Wilde

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic