NAF Logo
leftstar May 16, 2024 - 01:39 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Smashed Ankle! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
DaveOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2003 - 04:02 PM
da Veiz-Prez

Netherlands
agree there

I think a good Welf coach rolls few dice.
And hardly any at the beginning of his turn and (quite) some dangerous ones at the end of it.

(Exept when you're me and manage to get turnovers in FIVE consecutive turns, using all two RR, when trying to make a quick pass, pick up or catch a accurate pass and so on) Evil or Very Mad

Reply with quote Back to top
smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 20, 2003 - 07:05 PM

I agree with you both about rolling dice.

A good coach rolls few dice, and forces his opponent to roll many.

I learned the hard way about dice rolling when I first started using Bull Centaurs. It's tempting to go-for-it with them all the time (because they have Sprint and Sure Feet). But if you do that, they start falling over all the time. The same logic applies to Wardancers (or Catchers) if you dodge them all the time.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

PaulRoperOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 21, 2003 - 04:46 PM

One VERY important lesson you need to have as instinct with a wood elf team.. PRECISION. I've seen Wood Elf teams romping home 5-0, and I've seen them pounded into the dirt for no reward. The essence is to stay away from your opponent's team. Create tackle-zone "walls" etc., but wherever possible, try not to leave any players in base to base contact at the end of your turn. WE's last a lot longer when only one can get hit a turn...

KyrieOffline
Post subject: Yes  PostPosted: Mar 21, 2003 - 09:55 PM

Bevan wrote:
I agree. My impression is that Kyrie is rolling too many dice. Although elves usually succeed in everything they do, Rolling Eyes if you roll more than three 2+ rolls in a turn you'll probably get a premature turnover because you rarely have spare rerolls. Sad
Even players with dodge will fail surprisingly often if you dodge a lot, so overusing the wardancers causes big trouble.

You're right. I need to roll a lot, just because I don't want to get the whole line smashed by that ugly dwarves Razz I don't like rolling a lot, but it's the only way (also with blocks) to have the offence at bay, if I get 3 or 4 blocks in the opponents' turn, it will be sure that a couple or three of my linemen will end playing cards at KO Box. That's the reason.

The main sequence of a turn (in my own point of view) is:
Free Movements (those without rolling dice)
Secured Ones (i.e. Dodges with the skill)
RR Secured (without skill to RR, but with a team one)
Suicidal ...when I won't lose anything more, I start making 4+,5+ dodges, block without the skill or blocking stronger opponents.

I often fail the Secured ones with doubles (skulls or 1s) and that is really BAD luck Shocked

smeborgOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 22, 2003 - 09:50 PM

Kyrie - there are times with Woodies that it's better to go for a one-die-block rather than a dodge. And you don't HAVE to dodge out of reach of the opposition ALL the time. Sometimes it doesn't pay.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Smeborg the Fleshless

ThadrinOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Mar 23, 2003 - 06:49 AM

Sweden
Guyin my league started with 2 WD and 9 line, I think he had two RR. I think that gives 4ff.
Two and a half seasons later and he's been in both league finals, losing to and then beating the league's Chaos Dwarf team. My Dwarfs are the perrenial third place team.

LloydOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Apr 14, 2003 - 08:42 AM

In my first league I kept trying to start a wood elf team but it was continually pounded to the ground.

In the next season I decided to use humans and I ended up winning the second seasons final.

Then the next season I returned to my favourite team the wood elves despite the mocking of my peers that the team would not last. The team ended up being feared not only for its scoring capability but also for maiming other teams.

My point is that if you try another race for a while maybe it will give you greater insites into the benefits of that team such that you can start taking advantage of all of them.

PaulRoper has mentioned the best tactic for elf teams so far.

I'd also like to suggest that for a starting wood elf team and of course depending on what team you are up against you try and keep your blocks to maybe 1 per turn or as a better rule only when it counts ie getting the ball or hitting the closest person to your ball carrier. So effectively your lineman form a highly mobile wall 2 squares apart most of the time a couple of catchers to handle the ball and a wardancer to practically do all the teams blocking/blitzing.

The only real difficulty an elf team might face while using this strategy is the tank. Which is popular with thug teams. There are alot of fine tactics to stop this or slow it down which might involve a spaced out moving wall of lineman or perhaps just the 'death or glory' leap skill.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic