NAF Logo
leftstar May 05, 2024 - 04:28 AM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Waterbowl are the world champions! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 03:41 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
I also think that having sportsmanship and painting seperate is a smart move.

After Freckles' defence I think that, objectively, having the chance of 10 people vying for the top three spots is better than only 4 having that privilege, so I actually like the system of 'no final' with hindsight and after calming down from being jipped by playing dwarves in the last round and having to win the casualty count to win (argh!).

I had a great time and my only real complaint is not being able to play _everyone_ there. Everyone else has one real complaint - how slow a player I am!

Apologies for holding up the tournament everyone. I rarely finished my game anywhere but last of the lot of us. *Sigh* - maybe that's why I run CanCon and MOAB.

Washed up old has been.
Ex-official GW Blood Bowl Rules Committee member
Ex-NAF Tournament Organiser, Australasia
Co-Author of the Feudball first novel.

Reply with quote Back to top
DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 05:50 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      Babs wrote:
I also think that having sportsmanship and painting seperate is a smart move.

I think separating them entirely from final scores encourages the "win at all costs" attitude. So I don't really agree with that - hence our rules for the Eucalyptus Bowl. IMO people who are wankers and/or show up with shoddily painted teams should not win.

What we are doing at the EB is effectively penalising those who aren't up to standard. Everyone gets marks out of 7 for each every round. If you get 3 or more you get 6 tournament points - effectively the difference between a draw and a win. If you get a 1 you get no points, if you get a 2 you get 3 TP (so half the difference).

There is no advantage for getting top marks other than being in contention for the sports/painting prize - but there is a big incentive for people to meet what I'd consider a minimum standard for presentation and sportsmanship - both of which are vital for ensuring your opponent has as enjoyable experience as you do.

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 06:40 PM

I also prefer sports and painting to be included in the overall winner - its the system I'm used to from WHFB and I've seen the effect its had on peoples behaviour over the years.

If anything, I'd give these things a larger roll than is in Ecalyptus Bowl.

Another aspect to consider though is that the BB crowd is made up from people outside of the GW wargaming fraternity where such things are commonplace, and there is some resistance to it. There are a lot of people out there who think it should be based on gameplay only. I do think they believe such things will have a much larger effect on things than they actually do though - most people are OK, and so the scoring generall reflects this.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
-DM-Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 03, 2005 - 06:43 PM

good point Ian.

Like I said, I've been a Warhammer 40k tournament old hand for some years and their system is a combined effort - it promotes the 'hobby' as much as playing the game and depending on your beliefs, it's a good thing as it DOES encourage nicely painted models and good personal conduct at the tables.

By contrast, I played the WARMACHINE tournament at Leviathan this year which uses the 'wins' & 'painting' as separate awards and the difference was staggering. Only 3 of the 10 attendees had a fully painted army and the conduct at the tables was harsh enough to put me off playing the game at tournament level ever again.

I dunno, it's a tough one to answer really. I have to agree that having the awards separate does in fact promote the 'wins at all costs' attitude - I experienced it first hand - but it depends if winning games is the primary goal of the tournament.

For me, it's more about having a good time and promoting the hobby - and nothing promotes it better than people having a good time with beautifully painted figures on the table...

NAF Member #7014

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 04, 2005 - 05:55 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Just a quick note that rankings have been updated for Levaithan (see my signature for why I'm so interested).

Washed up old has been.

rochallorOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2005 - 12:19 AM

Yessss!! Finally logged myself in to NAF site. There goes another hour of free time each day spent on forums... Rolling Eyes Smile

Well, Leviathan was my first tournament, and I had great fun... will certainly be back for more, maybe Eucalyptus Bowl, depends on how it fits in with exams... but in my (not exactly experienced) opinion Emma ran it really well - I was (pleasantly) surprised by the sportsmanship prize, but I will wait till I attend a couple more tourneys before I start commenting on whether this and painting should be included in overall results or not... (maybe if I finish in the top 10 I will start to care about this a bit more... Laughing )

Good to see there are a few more Oz BB coaches than I thought... I was wondering where you were all hiding!!

BabsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2005 - 01:12 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
Good to see you on here Rochallor.

Washed up old has been.

-DM-Offline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 05, 2005 - 07:10 PM

I think it's more a case of a revival in the game locally actually.

GW's focus on their flagship games have made them very expensive of late and people are just looking for alternatives. BB is an old favourite of many and probably the cheapest GW game to get into...

It doesn't hurt the support for BB is excellent all round and the community strong. It's all good.

NAF Member #7014

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic