NAF Logo
leftstar May 13, 2024 - 11:28 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Dead! Dead! Dead! rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
SpazzfistOffline
Post subject: Nurgle Rotter mutations in tourneys  PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 08:53 AM

Canada
There are tourneys (namely the Philly Phracus and the Deathcup) that are encouraging the Chaos coaches to play by allowing them to take mutations as regular skills after each game. I think this is a brilliant idea, but it raises the questions of what do you take now? Block is always a viable option, but those mutations are too good to resist!

Considering the Nurgle team in particular, I feel that their main advantage is disruption of plays - the foul appearance can mess up the passing game and the tentacles on the beast of nurgle is awesome at stopping those pesky gutter runners and wardancers in their tracks!

So what would people take after each game to comliment this team and their style of play?

Spazz

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

Last edited by Spazzfist on May 11, 2005 - 12:00 PM; edited 1 time in total

Reply with quote Back to top
Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 09:09 AM

United States of America
I would still consider Guard a viable option on the beast. Gotta keep those nearby beastmen on their feet to help with Really Stupid.

But really Claw(s) rules the day. It's boring, but it will wreck the opposition.

VLL can make your rotters more effective blitzers as their MA is so low.

Big Hand on a beastman is invaluable.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
President of the Lord Borak Fan Club
Founder of the GCLU
Commissioner, TO, Goblin King, NEBBN TSO

MordreddOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 10:06 AM

England
I can see clawed Minotaurs everywhere (shudder).

If you want to encourage the use of Chaos teams it'd be better to give them access to leader.

skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 08:22 PM

If you're going to go big hand, why not do it on a rotter or CW? 4 ST ballhandling really is a big deal.

The main reason I think Chaos has trouble at tourneys is the lack of depth on the roster. You can't really work in a 12th player or an apo very well. Combined with the lack of skills, it's crippling to try and revoer playing like that.

-Oscar Wilde

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 08:49 PM

Canada
So what do you think is a more essential skill to take first in a tourney where mutations are treated as normal skills: big hand or claw?

I guess the question is what is more challenging for the Rotters, keeping up with the casualty game or ball handling?

@skummy - while I would agree that ST4 ball handling would be great, I would hate to be committing such a slow and strong player to the back field just to retrieve the ball. I think his strength is much more useful at the front where he could allow a Big Hand beastman to come running throught he hole that he has just made!

Spazz

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 09:12 PM

United States of America
from watching 3 chaos teams with claw players....it has had minimal impact for them, in fact mighty blow has been better for them. Also as a side note, mutation access will not be granted to the big guys on normal skills....i'll clarify this in my rules.

Ken

ChunkyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 10, 2005 - 09:32 PM

I've always found Claw to be excellent, but beyond about 2 it becomes redundant. Claw is best on players you intend to Blitz a lot with, as if you can knock over a ball carrier with it, you're also likely to break armour to give you another turn to clear the ball with those poor ball handling skills. You'd still want at least Tackle to go along with it though IMO, so I can't really see this making a huge difference in a resurrection style tourney.

If you can get off to a big start in a league style tourney, I reckon they could do OK.

http://eucalyptus-bowl.doubleskulls.net/

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger  
skummyOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 10:30 AM

On straight Chaos, I'd take Sure Hands on a CW. It's better than Big Hand purely for saving on rerolls in the open field.

Rotters are tougher. I don't think anyone's written "The Book" on how to coach 'em yet - especially at a tournament. Just trying to come up with a roster for them is difficult.

Mighty Blow is a better skill than Claw, depending on the AV of the team you're up against.

-Oscar Wilde

Hoshi_KomiOffline
Post subject: Re: Nurgle Rotter mutations in tourneys  PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 10:39 AM

United States of America
      Spazzfist wrote:
There are tourneys (namely the Philly Phracus and the Deathbowl) that are encouraging the Chaos coaches to play by allowing them to take mutations as regular skills after each game. I think this is a brilliant idea, but it raises the questions of what do you take now? Block is always a viable option, but those mutations are too good to resist!

Spazz

Spazz, it's Death Cup...not Deathbowl. Deathbowl is Cyberhare's tourney Smile

Death Cup is mine (DC----so it fits the city...Washington DC)

Smile

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 12:08 PM

Canada
@ gken, thanks for that, I knew that is had done that somewhere, but could not find it. It is fixed now! The DC will help me to remember it!
Smile

@ skummy - the roster I would use is as follows:
2 x rotter
8 x beastmen
1 x beast of nurgle
2 x reroll
4 x FF

A tight list - with no reserves and only 2 RR but this is what I would feel most comfortable with.

I would count on the rotters to hold the line as best they can, and try to use the foul appearance to disrupt any passing plays, while the Beast is on "search and destroy" orders - get a hold of a wardancer or gutter runner and put the tentacles to use.

On that note, maybe more foul appearance would be good for this team, make it really hard for the other team to pass the ball!

Spazz

Darkson
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 01:41 PM

Undisclosed
      Mordredd wrote:
I can see clawed Minotaurs everywhere (shudder).

I'm sure that one of those tournements has placed a limit of 1 Claw only, and it has to me a player on the team roster (ie CW or Beastman), not a BG (which are techically Allies).

#27 of the "24 club" (due to some dodgy accounting)

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 02:23 PM

United States of America
I've had a lot more success with the beast on the line (tentacles) to tie up as many as he can. Throw guard on the beast so he gets some help with really stupid from a beastman. Then again, I've only played a handful of games and have lost them all.

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 03:16 PM

Canada
But as the old Blood Bowl saying goes - a gutter runner in the tentacle is worth two on the line......

I would think keeping him back to pick on more juicy targets would be helpful - but then I have yet to play even a full game with the team! Smile

Spazz

Melifaxis
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 03:36 PM

United States of America
Try catching a GR with him Wink

aka Rob (NAF #248)
Founder of the GCLU

XtremeOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: May 11, 2005 - 09:42 PM
Da Boss

United States of America
For a nurgle team I would really consider getting a couple beastmen tentacles as well.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic