NAF Logo
leftstar May 17, 2024 - 09:39 PM
capleft
spacer
NAF World Headquarters
home forum rankings tourneys nyleague faq
Toot Toot rightstar
capright

View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic
pricetbOffline
Post subject: Orc Team Suggestions  PostPosted: Jul 16, 2005 - 03:20 AM

OK, let's just say I'm new to the game and a buddy conned me into playing in one of the bigger tournies going and I pretty much have no clue what I'm doing Shocked. I've decided on an orc team as they seem fairly easy to use and would like a little help with the team construction and progression for the tournie.

So far I've decided to go with:
4 Blitzers
4 Black Orcs
1 Troll
1 Passer
1 Lineman (Lineorc?)
2 RR's

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, heck even suggestions to play another team are appreciated as long as you can convince me why. Wink

Now to go and actually play a game on a board and not a computer......

Thanks,
Bryan

Reply with quote Back to top
absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2005 - 10:03 AM

i'd suggest doubleskulls list, since having 3 rr's is nice

4 black orcs
3 blitzers
2 linemen
2 gobos
1 thrower
3 rerolls
1 ff

for tourney development, i need to explain what i do with my list, cause i don't know on doubleskulls
I take
4 blitzer
4 BOB
3 linemen
3 reroll

and for skills i go
blitzer tackle
blitzer gaurd
bob kick
blitzer gaurd
blitzer tackle

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2005 - 04:56 PM

Undisclosed
I personally like to take Guard on the Black Orcs. Force your opponent to deal with the STR 4 player if he want to eliminate the player with guard.

The only other comment that I make in passing here is that the Thrower is a bargin at only 20K more than a line orc. For that 20K you get Sure Hands and Pass. Most people think that pass is a wasted skill on Orcs...I disagree. However, the sure hands is vitally important for this team. You might as well throw the reroll away if you don't have a player with Sure Hands.

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 16, 2005 - 05:37 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
My skill progression is

Dirty Player line orc 1st. Then a mix of guard or tackle on BOBs or Bltizers. Maybe Strip Ball instead of tackle. You want 2-3 guard and 1-2 tackle/strip ball.

Normally you can choose the skill after you find out who the opponent is so you don't need to fix the order before the tournament starts.

I personally think kick is a great skill - but Orcs normally lack the speed to really exploit it effectively so I don't take it in tournaments.

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 - 05:29 PM

i've only ever been able to take skills right after the round, not knowing what opponent is next, so it's a lot harder

i like gaurd on blitzers b/c i like their higher mobility and block to keep them from going down, i don't use them defensivly like you would a black orc with gaurd

also as far as kick goes, a lot of people just don't know how to set up vs an orc team with kick, they do stupid things and allow you to win the game with one skill, i always take it for that bad player factor, might not work in tourneys in AUS or UK, but it sure works over here.

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 - 07:36 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
If you don't know then planning is okay. I'd probably go DP, Tackle, Guard, Guard, Guard.

Maybe we can agree you can only afford one player not to take Guard/Tackle/Strip Ball? So then the decision is which other skill to take (if any). I just find the targetted elimination of DP much more useful than the precise kick option.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 - 07:52 PM

Undisclosed
So Dirty Player is just used as a decoy? And that works?

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 18, 2005 - 08:12 PM

Doubleskulls wrote:
If you don't know then planning is okay. I'd probably go DP, Tackle, Guard, Guard, Guard.

Maybe we can agree you can only afford one player not to take Guard/Tackle/Strip Ball? So then the decision is which other skill to take (if any). I just find the targetted elimination of DP much more useful than the precise kick option.

i'm not disagreeing, or i wouldn't have put your roster up, and i agree you need all but one to be tackle gaurd, i don't foul, so i don't take DP, seems pretty simple Laughing

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 19, 2005 - 02:57 AM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:
So Dirty Player is just used as a decoy? And that works?

-RobO

Laughing Either I misspoke or you misinterpreted. The DP is the one eliminating things, not being targetted himself. Line Orcs are thankfully quite tough. Very Happy

bareufOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 02:06 AM

KarlLagerbottom wrote:
I personally like to take Guard on the Black Orcs. Force your opponent to deal with the STR 4 player if he want to eliminate the player with guard.

that's a really cool idea
I like it!

Quote:
The only other comment that I make in passing here is that the Thrower is a bargin at only 20K more than a line orc. For that 20K you get Sure Hands and Pass. Most people think that pass is a wasted skill on Orcs...I disagree. However, the sure hands is vitally important for this team. You might as well throw the reroll away if you don't have a player with Sure Hands.
-RobO

I quote, I consider it obvious, but it seems not everybody does it!

SpazzfistOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 08:59 AM

Canada
      KarlLagerbottom wrote:

I dunno, I think I would still rather go for block for the Black Orcs. Guard is a nice second skill for them, but the BOs are going to be on the front line, meaning they are going to be supporting each other. Lined up properly, the team can help ensure that they maintain the S4 advantage over the opposition (i.e. the opposition cannot easily get a two dice block on the BOs and they will almost always keep a 2 dice block in their favour). So with this in mind I would rather go for block and keep them standing.

Spazz

P.S. Bareuf, love the avatar! but it makes it confusing when people share one!

#1 Nurgle coach in Canada (formerly the world!)
#1 Snotling coach in Canada

absentOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 11:33 AM

any team that actually needs to block a black orc can find a guy to block him with gaurd, every other team dodges away, gaurd is a good, frustrating skill, but in a tourney you might as well assign it to a blitzer so you can move in the gaurding assist where you need it.

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 12:37 PM

Undisclosed
To each his own...All I know is that three Black Orks with Guard on the line guarentee a STR 6 Block from a guy with access to re-rolls.

Moreover...the black orcs just have to stay on their feet to make all the players around them better. Normal Orc w/ Block on the line surrounded by Guard? STR 5 Block. Geez I guess that almost makes him a 50K Troll with access to rerolls and no Really Stupid.

Want to nullify that? Do you block the Line Orc? No...you block the Guard Black Orc. Whats that STR 4? Yikes! Orc

NAF Member #5236
---

KarlLagerbottomOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 12:39 PM

Undisclosed
      absent wrote:
any team that actually needs to block a black orc can find a guy to block him with gaurd, every other team dodges away, gaurd is a good, frustrating skill, but in a tourney you might as well assign it to a blitzer so you can move in the gaurding assist where you need it.

Good luck dodging away from the Ork Cage when they all have guard. Hope the Wardancer has Strip Ball. Whats that? The thrower is the ball carrier or someone gave the Blitzer Sure Hands instead of Guard? Pretty nice thinking Mr Orc Player! Orc

-RobO

NAF Member #5236
---

DoubleskullsOffline
Post subject:   PostPosted: Jul 21, 2005 - 04:42 PM
Ex-Rulz Committee

Undisclosed
      absent wrote:

On defence I'd normally have 2 BOBs and a line orc on the LOS - keeping 2 (the guarders when I have it) on the 2nd line back. That way at least one of them can move the supporting position for a blitzer to come in and whack someone.

I played Kheldar(?) I think at the Dungeon Bowl - pretty much identical teams except he had Guard on his blitzers and it really works much much better on the BOBs. Opponent's can't move the BOBs easily to clear the guard away.

Teams that want to dodge away are going to hit your blitzers instead because they'll be able to get 2 dice blocks against them, teams that want to bash will be forced to hit the BOBs too which suits you since you want the blitzers to be hitting.

Maybe try a practice game or two with it. Trust me its much better on the BOBs.

Jump to:  
All times are
View previous topic Printable version Log in to check your private messages View next topic